First time Cruisers

Hi there, we are going on our first cruise in august to Alaska. We are Leaving from Vancouver and going on a 7 night cruise ending in Anchorage. We stop at places such as Ketchikan,Icy Strait Point,Juneau,Skagway,Seward. We are in our 20's,and active people. Very interested in the nature aspect of alaska and glaciers.Well also spend an extra 3 nights in Alaska after the Cruise ends. We are looking for suggestions on things to do, while ported and after the cruise. Also wondering the dress code suggestions for late august early september. We have never cruised before so anything helps, Thanks:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You will be able to find a lot of information on the Ports of Call forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I would also suggest you join the roll call for your cruise (or start one if there is not one already). Find your ship from this page and then look for your sailing date.

Hope you have a great first cruise but be prepared to becoming addicted to cruising!:D

We (self, DH, my mother) did almost the same itinerary (no Icy Point?) on HAL in 2009. We spent two weeks (!) in Alaska after, several days in Seward.

WHILE THERE: We did (day hike) Exit Glacier on our own, went to the Sealife Center, and took a whale-watching dinner cruise. You might question the last one, having just got off a multi-day ship but it is definitely worth it (with or without the dinner). I think we went with Kenai Fjords (company) but Major Marine does similar and w/o the dinner, Renown is another one. Google is your friend.

We also spent an afternoon and evening with a non-cruisecritic forum "friend", shopped, and walked around and ate in town, and even did laundry... remember the sun is up FOREVER! Remember to sleep sometimes!

ETA: dress code -- my mom is not a dress-up person, and we didn't want to carry fancy clothes anyway what with packing for the extra two weeks and Alaska weather. Even on HAL, known for elegance and traditional cruising, it is possible to cruise without formal clothes. We bought my mom a pair of black knit pants and brought similar for ourselves, and ate only in the buffet, which was fine all around! The reason we had to do laundry in Seward (where there were NO LAUNDROMATS, ended up at a campground!) was because there was an illness outbreak onboard and they closed the washing machine room. Only some lines even have self-serve machines...

Edited by crystalspin

Thank you for your help. One more question in august what sort of weather are we facing, should winter coats be included in my packing, or just layers?

You didn't say which cruise line you will be on, but your itinerary sounds a lot like we did in reverse order on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas in August of 2012.

It's best to plan on dressing in layers if and when necessary as the weather can be very different from one port of call to the next. Plan on wet weather since Ketchikan is in a rain forest. You just never know, so be prepared.

Guest maddycat
Also, pick up a guidebook...it will help you once off the cruise, but will be helpful for your ports, too! The key is knowing something about where you're going!

If you are a AAA member you can get a free Alaska book from them. You can also google Alaska state tourism/travel bureau.......go to their website and request information.

We did the southbound cruise several years ago with RCI. It was great. Alaska is wonderful. Fantastic wildlife, great scenery.

Edited by maddycat

Take a warm hat, gloves & windbreaker jacket for over the layers. In the glacier areas, wind is a stronger factor than cold. And extra memory card for the camera -- not a bad view anywhere!

Whale-watching in Juneau!

ENJOY!:)