Best month and itinerary for Alaska

New2cruise1483

We are talking about booking our first cruise to Alaska with myself, bf and my dad, who is 74 in 2015. We are leaning towards Norwegian for the casual freestyle concept. What I'm having trouble deciding is though is it better to cruise Alaska in late May or early September? Also, which itinerary, Tracy Arm Fjord or Glacier Bay? We are mainly interested in possibly seeing whales and of course, the glaciers.

Is this roundtrip or one-way?

"best" itinerary is dependent on YOUR interests and priorities. But in general I would say an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay, and travels the east side of Vancouver instead of the ocean side.

As for timing, again it depends on your interests. ie bear viewing and fishing have specific peak windows at each location so if those are priorities you need to research them. Personally I would choose late June; the cost may be higher but it's peak season, long days, and everything is open and accessible. But of your 2 options I'd choose late May over Sept. May typically has drier sunnier weather. Sept can bring some horrific storms .. strong winds and heavy rain.

Do a little research about Alaska cruises and ports. Ann Vipond has "alaska by cruiseship'. Fodor has "alaska ports of call'. Probably available thru your library.

Edited by mapleleaves

With a "glacier" priority, Tracy Arm would be down the list for choices. Glacier Bay would see at least 4 glaciers.

I suggest you find out more details, before you look to select ships. Each port is vastly different from the others, with their own group of touring options. routes can be significant along with the glaciers included.

ALL cruiselines are "casual" in Alaska (and overall, all actually) gone are the ball gown days. :) My packing is the SAME on any line I sail. I haven't done formal nights in at least 10 years. Depends on you?

Late May can have dryer weather compared to Sept. other bonus is far more daylight, which means more scenic sailing opportunities, if wanted.