Jewel or Pearl for Alaska?

new_to_cruising

Trying to decide between these 2 ships. Looking at Alaska for July/August 2014. The itinerary is the same - just different times.

Pearl: Juneau 2pm-10pm

Skagway 7am-8:15pm

Ketchikan 6am- 1:30pm

Victoria 6pm-Midnight

Jewel: Ketchikan 7am-3pm

Juneau 7am-1:30pm

Skagway 7am-5:30pm

Victoria 2:30pm-9:30pm

It will be myself, husband and 11 year old daughter. For excursions we would like to do some dog sledding and whale watching. Would one itinerary be better for what we would like to do? I have read that when choosing an Alaska cruise, itinerary is very important. And does one ship outshine the other?

Based on the excursions we would like to do - any suggestions and which port?

Thanks for your help!!

The itineraries are not exactly the same, look closer. One ship goes to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier the other goes to Glacier Bay.

There's a good thread over in the Alaska POC board that has all the 2013 Alaska reviews in one place. The link below contains all of the reviews summarized by ship. This may help you with more info about each ship.

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40079582&postcount=45

Edited by triptolemus
Fixed link

juneau will be best for a whale watching trip. I believe my brother and his family did a sled dog & gold panning excursion in Skagway and had a great time. We went fishing in ketchikan using Northern Lights Charters and had a fantastic time too.

You can see info from our Jewel trip in my review. The link is in my signature area.

The itineraries are not exactly the same, look closer. One ship goes to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier the other goes to Glacier Bay.

There's a good thread over in the Alaska POC board that has all the 2013 Alaska reviews in one place. The link below contains all of the reviews summarized by ship. This may help you with more info about each ship.

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showp...2&postcount=45

your link didn't work for me. I pulled this one

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117

We chose the Pearl over the Jewel because you can do Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay (if you want and ice permits) but with the Jewel you can only do Tracy Arm. We also chose the Pearl because of the extra time in Juneau (1 hour 30 minutes more) and Skagway (2 hours 45 minutes more) even though there is less time in Ketchikan (1/2 hour less) and Victoria (1 hour less).

Either the Pearl or Jewel would be a fine choice... The Pearl will stay in Victoria longer (the gardens at night are beautiful)... Plus it also sails Glacier Bay.

The Jewel sails Tracy Arm Fjord to Sawyer Glacier (still gorgeous, but chance ship may not be able to get to glacier), and sails from Victoria earlier (gardens may not be lit up yet).

Both are great, but I would suggest Pearl going to Glacier Bay, especially if you nave never sailed AK.

Trying to decide between these 2 ships. Looking at Alaska for July/August 2014. The itinerary is the same - just different times.

Pearl: Juneau 2pm-10pm

Skagway 7am-8:15pm

Ketchikan 6am- 1:30pm

Victoria 6pm-Midnight

Jewel: Ketchikan 7am-3pm

Juneau 7am-1:30pm

Skagway 7am-5:30pm

Victoria 2:30pm-9:30pm

It will be myself, husband and 11 year old daughter. For excursions we would like to do some dog sledding and whale watching. Would one itinerary be better for what we would like to do? I have read that when choosing an Alaska cruise, itinerary is very important. And does one ship outshine the other?

Based on the excursions we would like to do - any suggestions and which port?

Thanks for your help!!

Having done Alaska on both ships, either is an excellent choice for Alaska. They depart on different days so that could matter depending on your vacation day availaibility. Overall, the layouts are the same but no bowling on the Jewel and there is a minor difference in the spa thermal suites area. We found the thermal suites in the spa to be an excellent location to be on glacier day, whether that was Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay due to being at the Bow of the ship on deck 12. We did a private bus excursion (short bus) of the Yukon/BC at Skagway, walked around Ketchikan on our own plus caught a local bus out to totem pole park. At Juneau, besides for independent exploring, took the tram which offered fantastic views of Juneau. Also, check the cc boards for Victoria. Great little town but many shops may be closed when the Pearl pulls in. Highly recommend a balcony for Alaska. Found myself at the end of the day standing on the balcony taking in the scenery until the point I could stay awake no longer. Don't forget to pack your binos and have a great trip, regardless of ship you pick.

The real difference in those two choices is Glacier Bay. If you're only going to go to Alaska one time, you NEED to go on the Glacier Bay cruise. Absolutely amazing!

As for the ships, they are identical, so there's no difference physically. However, the Pearl is our favorite NCL ship. There's something about the crew & staff on that ship - they just seem to go over the top of the wonderful NCL norm.

Since they both go to the same ports otherwise, you'll be able to do the shore excursions you want from either ship.

While the two ships visit the same ports in different order - the scenic cruising portion is different - the Pearl does Glacier Bay while the Jewel does Tracy Arm. Both are nice to see - not necessarily equal but each has their respective high points. Glacier bay is a broad expanse of water, mountains and several Glaciers. Tracy Arm is a steep walled fjord with lots of small waterfalls and lots of sharp twists and turns that ends with a tidewater glacier. In glacier bay you will sit in a very slow spin for about an hour directly in front of two glaciers - if you are lucky one will calf. At Sawyer Glacier you will get fairly close to the glacier (if you are lucky) and perhaps do one spin (the starboard side gets the longest view). The best way to see Tracy Arm is in the small boat tour that is offered on the Jewel. Also this excursion offsets the extra cost of the Pearl for GB.

As for the rest of your wants - whale watching and sled dogs - Juneau is the best place for doing a whale watching tour - and for dog sledding there are two options out of Skagway - on in Carcross and one as part of a Heli tour on top of a glacier.

For more information about the ports and excursions visit www.cruiseportiinsider.com

• 3 months later...

We are taking our 6th NCL cruise to Alaska next month. We have done the Star twice, the Pearl twice and this will be our 2nd time on the Jewel. love my butler has obviously had a negative experience on the Jewel and is very biased towards the Pearl. The Pearl is a beautiful ship. A little FYI, the Jewel is going into dry dock May 5th to the 17th and they will be updating the suites and some of the furnishings in other public areas of the ship. We will be in a suite on the second cruise after the dry dock so I will do my best to get pics to post to show the improvements. I will say between the Star, Pearl and Jewel the Pearl has been our favorite ship but I am anxious to see the shiny new looking Jewel after her dry dock. If you are only going to do Alaska once I do join the others that say Glacier Bay would be my choice after doing both. If the budget can accommodate I would highly recommend doing the catamaran that goes up Tracy Arm while you are in Juneau. I got an amazing whale fluke pic when on that excursion a few years ago. Going to see Saywer Glacier vs Margerie Glacier are very different experiences. The fjords of Tracy Arm are so cool and when doing it on a smaller catamaran you can get up much closer. We also saw a seal with a very newborn baby on an iceberg. I feel I have began ranting so I will close with saying I do not think you will be disappointed with either ship or itinerary but my vote would be the Pearl going to Glacier Bay.

We are going to Sawyer Glacier on the Jewel this year and also have a 9 day on the Jewel next year that will take us to Glacier Bay.

We have done two cruises one on rcl that went to Tracy arm, one on pearl last year that went to glacier Bay. Glacier Bay blew us away, it was far better than Tracy arm. Since both of the ncl ships are almost identical, I would not miss glacier Bay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Incorrect. There are lots of physical differences. They are similar, but no where near identical.

Pardon me. I should have said that they are the same class of ship, and are *generally* the same, with some differences. Better?

We are taking our 6th NCL cruise to Alaska next month. We have done the Star twice, the Pearl twice and this will be our 2nd time on the Jewel. love my butler has obviously had a negative experience on the Jewel and is very biased towards the Pearl. The Pearl is a beautiful ship. A little FYI, the Jewel is going into dry dock May 5th to the 17th and they will be updating the suites and some of the furnishings in other public areas of the ship. We will be in a suite on the second cruise after the dry dock so I will do my best to get pics to post to show the improvements. I will say between the Star, Pearl and Jewel the Pearl has been our favorite ship but I am anxious to see the shiny new looking Jewel after her dry dock. If you are only going to do Alaska once I do join the others that say Glacier Bay would be my choice after doing both. If the budget can accommodate I would highly recommend doing the catamaran that goes up Tracy Arm while you are in Juneau. I got an amazing whale fluke pic when on that excursion a few years ago. Going to see Saywer Glacier vs Margerie Glacier are very different experiences. The fjords of Tracy Arm are so cool and when doing it on a smaller catamaran you can get up much closer. We also saw a seal with a very newborn baby on an iceberg. I feel I have began ranting so I will close with saying I do not think you will be disappointed with either ship or itinerary but my vote would be the Pearl going to Glacier Bay.

We are going to Sawyer Glacier on the Jewel this year and also have a 9 day on the Jewel next year that will take us to Glacier Bay.

All the butler really does is complain about NCL.