So whats the best Ins to pick.??

KNowme1st

So I am checking Insure. my trip and square. mouth. All sorts ok Plans. Is there any one plan you recommend? OR a preferred insurance under writer??

will be a party of 4. 64, 62,12 and 11 yrs old.

thank you so much. want to get it in the next 2-3 days.

I don't think there's really any "better" company than another on InsureMyTrip or SquareMouth. I think they all get A or A+ on the AM Best Rating, so you can feel secure that they are financially solvent.

You just need to look for a policy that meets your needs--pre-existing conditions? possibility of expensive evacuation? medical limits?

We always go to that insurance site, and we always purchase different plans based on our needs at the time. Reading the fine print is crucial to ensure that what you want covered is indeed covered.

For example, one year we purchased a plan that specifically covered work reason cancellations. I knew that I was up for promotion and I feared that training would coincide with the cruise, which would've canceled my vacation. Sure enough, I learned about the training a few weeks before the cruise.

Another time we purchased a policy that specifically covered medical costs due to pregnancy complications (my wife was 20 months pregnant at the time),

This year, we purchased another policy with a higher lost baggage coverage due to the fact that we were sailing in Alaska and we were traveling with more valuable belongings.

So you need to ask yourself first what you need coverage for. Not all policies are created equal and what may be best for me may not be the best for you. Once again, read the fine print even if it's time consuming. Even if two policies say that they cover the same thing, READ. Requirements, coverage, and qualification criteria may be completely different from one policy to another.

I think Tapi outlines it well. Most of them on Squaremouth or Insuremytrip are good. There is probably something in the coverages you want/need. I always get Cancel for Work purposes as my work is often fluid. It just depends on your needs and where you are going.

You can look at all the fine print before you get the policy, I recommend it to figure out what exactly you need.

We always go to that insurance site, and we always purchase different plans based on our needs at the time. Reading the fine print is crucial to ensure that what you want covered is indeed covered.

For example, one year we purchased a plan that specifically covered work reason cancellations. I knew that I was up for promotion and I feared that training would coincide with the cruise, which would've canceled my vacation. Sure enough, I learned about the training a few weeks before the cruise.

Another time we purchased a policy that specifically covered medical costs due to pregnancy complications (my wife was 20 months pregnant at the time),

This year, we purchased another policy with a higher lost baggage coverage due to the fact that we were sailing in Alaska and we were traveling with more valuable belongings.

So you need to ask yourself first what you need coverage for. Not all policies are created equal and what may be best for me may not be the best for you. Once again, read the fine print even if it's time consuming. Even if two policies say that they cover the same thing, READ. Requirements, coverage, and qualification criteria may be completely different from one policy to another.

So glad this never happened to me!

Seriously, this is the kind of things I look for also when getting a policy. I also get primary medical rather than secondary. A medical evacuation could bankrupt you, so I make sure that amount would cover any type of medevac. You just never know what could happen.

Having filed claims for clients many times, I've learned to narrow down my own travel insurance options to only those that are primary payer. If your travel insurance is secondary, you will need to file claims (most of which will be rejected) with your own health insurance, homeowners insurance, etc, then provide that documentation to your travel insurance provider. It is a PITA to say the least! So my first consideration is primary payer and second consideration is level of emergency evacuation coverage. For our Hawaii cruise (17 days with flights from east coast and pre-cruise stay), insurance cost almost $400 but was worth it to me for the complete peace of mind.

I also use Insuremytrip.com and really like that you can choose several policies and compare them side by side to see which one is best for you.

edited to add: I have used Travel Guard in the past but have never had to use it (thankfully) :)

Edited by Mysticks1

So I am checking Insure. my trip and square. mouth. All sorts ok Plans. Is there any one plan you recommend? OR a preferred insurance under writer??

will be a party of 4. 64, 62,12 and 11 yrs old.

thank you so much. want to get it in the next 2-3 days.

If you have questions about a specific policy, you can e-mail Squaremouth and then you have answers I writing. We self insure the cost of the trip, but get medical/evacuation insurance and it is very reasonable.

One more thing, if you want to cover pre-existing conditions, make sure you book within the specified time limit from your initial cruise booking.

have a great cruise.

Hi. Perfect timing for this thread! As always, CC members come through with the best advice!

Note to TAPI... Wow, if your wife was 20 months pregnant we can all understand why you wanted insurance! Please accept my apology... I do not mean to be rude or offensive.

I was thinking the same thing about 20 months pregnant. I remember feeling like I had been pregnant for 20 months. I think all of us were tracking though and knew you meant 20 weeks.

Guest maddycat

I'm another one who only buys primary travel insurance coverage. For our last several cruises I have been buying Travel Safe Insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. I like that they only sell insurance from 6 pre-screened insurance companies. I usually call and discuss my insurance needs with one of their agents. I buy the insurance with in 21 days of booking the cruise so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/index.shtml

http://www.travelsafe.com/

Totally depends upon your needs and level of risk acceptance. Only you know the answers to those questions.

For example, I carry only medical and evacuation insurance. I consider the overly protective policies that insure you against any possible problem a waste of money. Clearly, many if not most of the people on CC disagree with this decision.

Different strokes for different folks.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Lesson learned, I will NEVER buy trip insurance for a cruise again. It is only good if you have health issues. It does not provide full coverage for wether, plane delays, excretions, or mechanical breakdowns. It has limits that fall far short of the actual cost even if the claim is for health resins. Travel insurance is a SCAM! I will roll the dice from now on. I am still waiting for our partial refund since August and still they say it is being reviewed. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Thank Allianz travel Insurance. What ever you do, don't buy insurance from Alianz!

Lesson learned, I will NEVER buy trip insurance for a cruise again. It is only good if you have health issues. It does not provide full coverage for wether, plane delays, excretions, or mechanical breakdowns. It has limits that fall far short of the actual cost even if the claim is for health resins. Travel insurance is a SCAM! I will roll the dice from now on. I am still waiting for our partial refund since August and still they say it is being reviewed. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Thank Allianz travel Insurance. What ever you do, don't buy insurance from Alianz!

I have filed claims with several travel insurance companies on behalf of my clients. Documentation can be tedious, but never had any serious issues.

I filed one Allianz claim on behalf of my mother for a trip we were taking together. It was processed promptly and satisfactorily.

Sorry that you have had a frustrating and disappointing experience. But there may be issues other than the quality of your travel insurance.

Having filed claims for clients many times, I've learned to narrow down my own travel insurance options to only those that are primary payer. If your travel insurance is secondary, you will need to file claims (most of which will be rejected) with your own health insurance, homeowners insurance, etc, then provide that documentation to your travel insurance provider. It is a PITA to say the least! So my first consideration is primary payer and second consideration is level of emergency evacuation coverage. For our Hawaii cruise (17 days with flights from east coast and pre-cruise stay), insurance cost almost $400 but was worth it to me for the complete peace of mind.

My medical insurance company does not co-ordinate benefits! If I don't purchase secondary insurance I am giving my insurance company a gift if we get ill. I am paying them to receive no benefits during our cruise and depriving us of additional benefits.

Edited by Sanz

My medical insurance company does not co-ordinate benefits! If I don't purchase secondary insurance I am giving my insurance company a gift if we get ill. I am paying them to receive no benefits during our cruise and depriving us of additional benefits.

It's sad that I work for a hospital and unless you are getting care at the hospital, they do not pay for anything.

I compared all of the medical insurance carriers and all of them were 'secondary'. Hopefully I just forked out $41 for piece of mind and won't have to worry about filing claims! :o

Guest maddycat
It's sad that I work for a hospital and unless you are getting care at the hospital, they do not pay for anything.

I compared all of the medical insurance carriers and all of them were 'secondary'. Hopefully I just forked out $41 for piece of mind and won't have to worry about filing claims! :o

Are you talking about only medical insurance or complete travel insurance? We buy Travel Safe insurance and it is primary insurance. In the past we have bought TravelEx insurance which was also primary insurance. We switched insurance companies because Travel Safe was less expensive than TravelEx for more coverage. These aren't the only companies who sell primary coverage.

Edited by maddycat

Are you talking about only medical insurance or complete travel insurance? We buy Travel Safe insurance and it is primary insurance. In the past we have bought TravelEx insurance which was also primary insurance. We switched insurance companies because Travel Safe was less expensive than TravelEx for more coverage. These aren't the only companies who sell primary coverage.

Oh, just medical. I didn't get travel insurance.

I am getting on a ship come Hell or high water (no water, rough water..whatever..) LOL

I'm very sorry to hear about the poor quality employee health insurance that you receive from a "hospital". That is shameful. I'm going with Travel Insured for my upcoming cruise. It is a comprehensive plan. The medical is secondary. If I upgrade the medical it becomes primary. What is not secondary includes evacuation, and non-medical expenses such as trip cancellation. I found several comprehensive plans on Insure My Trip that are primary. You might want to look into evacuation insurance that is sold separately, if it is not included in your medical insurance.

Edited by Sanz