Mastercard Reward

Butterbean1000

I also cancel cards before the annual fee EXCEPT the Arrival card. It is the best card out there that I use as my everyday rewards card. When I am just going for the free money I will cancel but the Arrival pays for itself within two months for us. ESPECIALLY when using the Barclay travel blog site. I get a extra two to three thousand points a month by using that.

JUST A CAUTIONARY MESSAGE here from someone that works with Credit Cards.

You are actually hurting your personal credit more when you open and close accounts frequently. It causes a Black mark to your credit score each time you cancel and close an account. Your credit score goes higher as you reflect LONG STANDING credit history in good standing. You can build better credit with a long standing OPEN card with a $0 balance over many CLOSED accounts.

I am dumping my carnival mastercard after 4 years, the rewards are pathetic.

I just reviewed my Statement last week and onboard credits available. I will not be using my Carnival card anymore, but like someone else mentioned, I will not close it either.

From January - November, I have accrued $750 in onboard credit. The kicker is when you read on the 2nd page that I have also paid $825 in interest. I pay my card off every month, but with the Barclay Carnival master Card, they charge you interest on Each Purchase. It doesn't matter if you pay it off or not, that is ridiculous.

I just reviewed my Statement last week and onboard credits available. I will not be using my Carnival card anymore, but like someone else mentioned, I will not close it either.

From January - November, I have accrued $750 in onboard credit. The kicker is when you read on the 2nd page that I have also paid $825 in interest. I pay my card off every month, but with the Barclay Carnival master Card, they charge you interest on Each Purchase. It doesn't matter if you pay it off or not, that is ridiculous.

:confused:I don't understand - if you pay your card off in full every month, there is no way you should be paying any interest. I have had this card since 2005, paid off the balance in full every month and never paid 1 cent in fees or interest. On the page of my statement that lists fees and interest, every column every month reads $0.00. How is it that you are paying interest when you don't carry a balance? Can the same card have different rules for you than it does for me and so many others?:confused:

• 1 month later...
:confused:I don't understand - if you pay your card off in full every month, there is no way you should be paying any interest. I have had this card since 2005, paid off the balance in full every month and never paid 1 cent in fees or interest. On the page of my statement that lists fees and interest, every column every month reads $0.00. How is it that you are paying interest when you don't carry a balance? Can the same card have different rules for you than it does for me and so many others?:confused:

It could be that they use what is called a 2 cycle billing process. Essentially, the credit card companies that use this charge you interest on 2 months purchases so, even if you pay off your bills monthly you would still be paying interest for the other month.:eek: Discover uses this(or used to) and when I found out I was not happy and stopped using it right away. I always check the billing cycle info when I get offers and then decide. If it is a 2 cycle billing process I pass.

Thanks for all of the great info. Just applied for the Barclay card, got approved and am dumping my southwest card. $2 for every dollar spent is to good to pass up. We use credit card for everything! I woke my husband up at 5 in the morning to tell him I was switching credit cards, lol.

It could be that they use what is called a 2 cycle billing process. Essentially, the credit card companies that use this charge you interest on 2 months purchases so, even if you pay off your bills monthly you would still be paying interest for the other month.:eek: Discover uses this(or used to) and when I found out I was not happy and stopped using it right away. I always check the billing cycle info when I get offers and then decide. If it is a 2 cycle billing process I pass.

That (2-month billing cycle) would make VTBowMan1's claims make some kind of sense. However, the Barclay's Carnival FunPoints MC uses a 1-month cycle. At least the one I have always has. If the balance is paid in full each month, no interest is ever charged. I have never heard anyone make the claims about this card that VTBowMan1 made. I believe he is either confused or just plain wrong. What he says about this card is not true for me or anyone else of whom I have ever heard. I suggest his comment be completely disregarded by anyone considering this card.;)

My girlfriend and I are talking about booking a cruise. She has $450 coming on a Carnival Mastercard. Does anyone know if she can use this amount off the bottom line of a cruise, if we book Carnival?

Yes, after the payment is made to Carnival (assuming you are using the Carnival MC to pay for the cruise), it will show up as a qualifying purchase for FunPoints redemption. She can redeem her FunPoints and get a partial refund of the purchase amount from her credit card account console online. It is very easy - just click on the "Manage Rewards" tab, then follow the prompts under the "Pay with FunPoints" (I think that's what it's called) tab.:) She'll have a limited time after the purchase posts to her account in which to redeem her points for a refund on that purchase. I think it's 180 days.

I play the Rewards Card boogie every few years when we take a vacation and this Barclay Arrival deal is about one of the best I've ever heard.

My cruise is mostly paid for (I've been using Verizon Points to get discount GCs to pay it down, already saving 10% off my cruise). If I get the Arrival card and spend $1,000 I will get $400 worth of points, but to maximize the benefit I would use the Arrival card to pay my remaining balance, and then use that $400 to pay off the card's balance when my statement arrives? In other words, I don't transfer it to an OBC? Right?

I play the Rewards Card boogie every few years when we take a vacation and this Barclay Arrival deal is about one of the best I've ever heard.

My cruise is mostly paid for (I've been using Verizon Points to get discount GCs to pay it down, already saving 10% off my cruise). If I get the Arrival card and spend $1,000 I will get $400 worth of points, but to maximize the benefit I would use the Arrival card to pay my remaining balance, and then use that $400 to pay off the card's balance when my statement arrives? In other words, I don't transfer it to an OBC? Right?

I could be wrong, but I do not believe this promo is still running. It was running last year when I got my Barclay Arrival Card. Now, I believe you have to spend $3,000 w/in 3 months in order to get $400 back.

The way I did it a year ago ... I opened a card, then ran a purchase for $1,000 on an existing cruise. A few days later when the $1K showed up, it showed that I had $400 in travel points, which I then deducted as "cash" and so when my bill came, it was only $600. That's all the purchases I put on the card. Then I just paid off the total balance of $600 on the card.

It worked so well that I got another card for my husband (he was not on my card in case it didn't work out well :o -- but it worked great.) Now, 12 months later, surprisingly we have about $1,000 in cash back redemption on each card. Because of this I am gladly paying the $89 annual fee for each card. This card is definitely for people who travel and is the best card out there. We put our car/house insurance on it. Our house furnace broke and we just bought a new house furnace on it. I have no idea what the interest rates are or how they compare to other cards, but for us it's the best :D and we only cruise once or twice each year.