Crime in Nassau

mjkulp00

Stay in a group. Don't flaunt your money or jewels. Don't walk home from a bar drunk by yourself and you should be okay. I was there in October and had heard rumors about the crime also and was reassurred that the majority of targets are people wandering alone at night.

About 2 years ago we were going to the Bahamas for Thanksgiving. We found out the Segway tour we booked was held up the day before at gun point. I found that out from http://www.cruiselawnews.com/.

When we boarded the ship we went directly to the shore excursions desk and asked if our Segway tour was still going to happen, because we found out on line that it was held up at gun point. The shore excursions desk didn't have any knowledge of it, or failed to act like they knew about it. Later that afternoon, we received a letter/notice in our room that the excursion was cancelled. I suggest reading the local papers that Cruise Law News mentions: http://www.tribune242.com/ & http://www.thenassauguardian.com/. On a personal note, I will never book another cruise to the Bahamas. I prefer Mexico (ferry to mainland from Cozumel), Honduras (Roatan) & Grand Cayman. We've been to those locations several times, they have a lot more tour options and the people seem happy you came to visit their country as it gives them tourism jobs.

I've heard more and more about crime in Nassau. We have never been. We are going next month and was thinking of not doing an excursion just get off and shop, maybe a beach but not much time in port?

Advice??

We have been to Nassau a number of times. Our last cruise a few months back our group of five took a taxi from port to Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase. A really nice personal excursion with absolutely no problems and security all around. We walked back to the ship and never felt threatened. We do tend to travel in group though. -- Joan

I'm traveling solo to Nassau in March and now I'm worried. I was going to walk to the John Waitlings distillery as early as possible for the free tour. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

I'm traveling solo to Nassau in March and now I'm worried. I was going to walk to the John Waitlings distillery as early as possible for the free tour. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

We walked to John Watling's without any problems. Follow the walking directions on their website (http://www.johnwatlings.com/), stick around other tourists, don't carry anything expensive and it will be fine. Scubagirrl recommends not walking around too early in the morning before the shops are open. After 9:30 is better.

When I went, I was with my husband. I probably would have been more nervous if I had been alone. Maybe you can meet someone on your ship to walk with you?

We walked to John Watling's without any problems. Follow the walking directions on their website (http://www.johnwatlings.com/), stick around other tourists, don't carry anything expensive and it will be fine. Scubagirrl recommends not walking around too early in the morning before the shops are open. After 9:30 is better.

When I went, I was with my husband. I probably would have been more nervous if I had been alone. Maybe you can meet someone on your ship to walk with you?

Thanks for this! I think I may still do it as this will be my fourth visit to Nassau but it all depends how I feel coming off the ship that day.

Yes, I will check with my roll call to see if anyone else would be interested in going.

Thanks for this! I think I may still do it as this will be my fourth visit to Nassau but it all depends how I feel coming off the ship that day.

Yes, I will check with my roll call to see if anyone else would be interested in going.

Hi we cruised with you on the EOS Jan2012. I remember you as a very friendly person so I am sure you will find someone interested in going to the distillery with you. Ed and I went last Nov its a short tour with samples. There is a bar and patio with a gorgeous view of the water from a distance. Yummy drinks and nice wait staff and bartender. Follow all the suggestions poster have said. Crime happens everywhere just be use common sense. Enjoy your cruise.

This past year we have seen the crime rate soar out of control.

The good thing is that the tourist areas (Downtown, Paradise Island and Cable Beach) have all stepped up security to keep visitors safe.

At nite, I don't recommend going out alone, and certainly not walking the streets alone (it's pretty desolate except for the wharf area and Atlantis Marina Village. )

I do NOT recommend going off the beaten path for beaches, fishing or just tooling around. Stay with a group... stay in the tourist corridors, don't flash you money, or jewelry etc.. and you'll be fine.

Always be aware of your surroundings..

The good thing is that the tourist areas (Downtown, Paradise Island and Cable Beach) have all stepped up security to keep visitors safe.

At nite, I don't recommend going out alone, and certainly not walking the streets alone (it's pretty desolate except for the wharf area and Atlantis Marina Village. )

I do NOT recommend going off the beaten path for beaches, fishing or just tooling around. Stay with a group... stay in the tourist corridors, don't flash you money, or jewelry etc.. and you'll be fine.

So taking a taxi to Sandals, Breezes or another of the resorts should be fine?

We're there next week. When you say "Downtown" what area would that cover?

We plan on some shopping along Bay St, Watlings for the rum, walk down to the Fish Fry for a bite and then a dip (maybe) at Junkanoo Beach before getting back on board. Would that be Downtown?

Too bad we have to be concerned about this. Kind of puts a damper on the enjoyment factor.

Maybe we are naive, but my husband and I (both senior citizens) plus our daughter and young grandson were recently in Nassau for a cruise stop. We planned to visit the National Heritage site (aka Retreat) but nobody seemed to have any idea what bus took us there. I can't tell you how many folks on the street stopped to try and help us and once on the bus, other passengers (all natives) made sure we got off at the right stop. I'd haven't seen that kind of helpfulness for tourists in many other cities.

scubagirrl - thanks for your advice. I'm due to go to Nassau for the first time later this year, and have been following your recommendations avidly. I generally take my passport with me in my handbag when leaving the ship (in case it leaves without me :D ). Would you suggest leaving it in the safe while I'm in Nassau?

Anything else I carry with me, they'd be welcome to - I don't bring my best jewelry on board, and don't wear anything with sentimental value off the ship.

Be prepared to be harrassed and followed around by some of the locals. We also stay in a group but that didn't seem to help the last time even we were quite firm with them. Would be very alert and careful when you venture out in Nassua....but you need to do that regardless of where you are.

I hope, for their sakes, they catch me on a good day ;)

I travel solo, so I'm always pretty cautious everywhere. May stick to my roll call companions for Nassau, though I'd started making some solo plans.