Miami Public Transportation

jrose1982

I was pleased to discover that Miami has a pretty comprehensive public transportation network with routes to almost all the places I want to visit. And that there's a stop right in front of my hotel (I'll be there for 3 days before my cruise).

So to save some money, I intend to get some day-passes and ride the bus to do my sightseeing. Has anybody else tried this? Anything I need to be aware of?

We took the metrorail from the airport to the Hampton Inn Brickell. We flew in on American and it was a bit of a hike to where the airport connects to the metrorail. It looked like some of the terminals were MUCH closer. It wasn't anything horrible, just more than I was expecting. We had plenty of time and it was less than $10 for all 4 of us.

We also took the people mover from the hotel to Bayside.

We took the metrorail from the airport to the Hampton Inn Brickell. We flew in on American and it was a bit of a hike to where the airport connects to the metrorail. It looked like some of the terminals were MUCH closer. It wasn't anything horrible, just more than I was expecting. We had plenty of time and it was less than $10 for all 4 of us.

We were planning on doing the same at the end of the month. I've been trying to research it but since you've done it can you tell me are there signs in the airport at baggage claim directing where to go for the metrorail? Did you get off at governor's station and switch to the people mover? Thanks for any tips/advice in advance!

What stop did you get off at for Bayside?

Did you see the free trolley near the hotel?

We are there on Sunday so just trying to see what works best to get to Bayside

Thanks

Lyn

We were planning on doing the same at the end of the month. I've been trying to research it but since you've done it can you tell me are there signs in the airport at baggage claim directing where to go for the metrorail? Did you get off at governor's station and switch to the people mover? Thanks for any tips/advice in advance!

I saw the first signs in the baggage claim area. Just keep following them, it seems like you walk forever! We got off at the Brickell station (it's adjacent to the Brickell metro mover station). Be sure to exit to the street as I don't think there is an escalator on the side that connects with the People mover station which would make maneuvering luggage difficult.

What stop did you get off at for Bayside?

Did you see the free trolley near the hotel?

We are there on Sunday so just trying to see what works best to get to Bayside

Thanks

Lyn

I saw signs for the free trolley and believe I saw it stopped near the People mover station. We got off at the College/Bayside station and it was very close to the entrance of Bayside. Previously we had gotten off at the Bayfront and First Street Station and they were a doable but further walk. We've rode it 3 times to Bayside and somehow always manage to get on the wrong route going back to the hotel. No biggie, just saw more of Miami than we wanted!

Edited by WendyVF

I saw signs for the free trolley and believe I saw it stopped near the People mover station. We got off at the College/Bayside station and it was very close to the entrance of Bayside. Previously we had gotten off at the Bayfront and First Street Station and they were a doable but further walk. We've rode it 3 times to Bayside and somehow always manage to get on the wrong route going back to the hotel. No biggie, just saw more of Miami than we wanted!

Thanks for the information very helpful

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

• 1 month later...
I have never used public transit beings we don't live in a 'metro' area. Is there an easy way to figure out I want to go from point a to b so I need to ride bus A to B to C etc?

As a start, go to http://maps.google.com directions. At the top there are little icons for car, bike, walking, and transit.

One hitch with them, I don't think they have the trolley system, which has a line to the cruise port.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

You can also use the trip planner tool on Miami-Dade County's website:

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/fares.asp

Personally, I would use both. Neither is perfect.

I'd be hesitant to use public transit if I'd never used it close to home. It can be a little overwhelming. And the more developed the network is, the harder it is to navigate.

Cheat sheets are a good idea. You can print the system map from Miami-Dade's website. There are individual route maps as well, but those are mostly worthless to somebody that doesn't know the area (the Route 11 map started to make sense to me on my last day there).

If you visit the station at the airport (or any station for that matter) you can pick up all kinds of maps and guides. I found a "Visitors' Guide" that tells you exactly which routes to take to get to popular tourist destinations. I think that one's on their website as well.

In my hotel I found brochures for some of the things I wanted to do and they included specific directions on how to get there by transit (i.e. take the green line south, get off here, turn left, walk 2 blocks, cross at the light, etc.)

I used the system map to identify one route to get from my hotel to the nearest Metrorail station, then mostly just used the visitors guide to get everywhere else.

Seriously, take some time to explore their website, they've got lots of resources.

Also, I think Miami-Dade has a phone number you can call to get trip planning help. Find it on the website and load it into your cell phone before you go (just in case).

I found the most cost-effective way to get around was to buy day passes at the station in the airport. I got 1 for each day I was there ($5.65 each). Each one becomes active the 1st time you use it and after that it's good for the rest of the day. I ended up spending 2 days "recovering" from my travels so I gave the 2 remaining unactivated passes to a hotel employee when I checked out. I told him they were unactivated and good for a full day each, and he said "that will make somebody very happy".

One more thing (I think somebody may have already mentioned this) finding the bus station at the airport is easy because it's well-signed. But it took me about 1/2 hour to walk to it. Wear good walking shoes.

rafinmd

One hitch with them, I don't think they have the trolley system, which has a line to the cruise port.

Roy

the miami metro bus #243 seaport connection. is that what you meant? why it is only weekdays????? boo hiss boo

No, it's a separate system:

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/index.html

I know it does run at least on Saturday. The only hitch is it only goes to terminal J.

Hmmm. The website says M-F, but I know I used it between segments of my B2B on Saturday 11/23/13.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Miami-Dade has a vast transportation network, however most of it is covered by bus, East-West routes via bus can be lengthy (1-2 hours).

That being said the transportation within the downtown core is excellent and mostly free. Transporation between Miami and the beaches is also easy, convenient and done via bus. Transportation within the beaches is also excellent and cheap.

Finding the metrorail station from the airport is easy and well marked, just follow the pink signs.

As a daily transit user, I'd be happy to help route particulars if you like. You can also call the transit hotline, but I havent found them to be anymore helpful than whats available on the website.