Confused About Flight Insurance

sjmbruce

My husband and I are going on a cruise in May with Princess. I like the insurance through the cruise line that includes cancel for any reason and medical coverage. However, Princess insurance does not cover flights.

I have never bought flight insurance before so I am confused. Can I buy flight insurance separately or do I have to buy travel insurance that includes flight insurance?

What does flight insurance entail? I'm thinking I want something to in case I need to cancel the entire trip. Or if the boat is late coming back and I miss our return flights.

Thanks for any help, advice and suggestions.

2 Options

Buy "refundable" tickets. A little bit more expensive, but,,, fully refundable. Plus usually no additional fees if you have to change dates or flights. Plus (maybe) free luggage.

Or

Most web sites offer insurance as an add on when you are checking out to make your purchase when buying on line.

Don't buy insurance from Allianz or any company for that matter! It never pays without a hassle and never pays why you expect. It makes you feel good thinking you are covered, but when you have an issue such as the ship breaking down, Celebrity Millennium Ketchikan, Alaska Aug 2013, you don't get your refund. Insurance is a waste of money! We cruise often and have stopped taking out insurance. I'm sure there will be others who disagree. If they would like to pay me what Allianz owes me, I might change my mind. Otherwise forget it.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't buy insurance from Allianz or any company for that matter! It never pays without a hassle and never pays why you expect. It makes you feel good thinking you are covered, but when you have an issue such as the ship breaking down, Celebrity Millennium Ketchikan, Alaska Aug 2013, you don't get your refund. Insurance is a waste of money! We cruise often and have stopped taking out insurance. I'm sure there will be others who disagree. If they would like to pay me what Allianz owes me, I might change my mind. Otherwise forget it.

Have you or do you ever consider buying the cruiseline ins offered ?

Can you drop the Princess insurance? I ask because buying cancellation insurance for your flight separately will also mean you end up purchasing a lot of duplicate coverage.

Also, how long ago was your deposit? If it was more than two weeks, the availability of 3rd-party "Any Reason" coverage is slim.