Has Anyone Successfully Sued NCL?

cxxviii

I disagree. I just think lawyers have become professionals at twisting the truth to meet their clients needs, immaterial of whether their client is actually wrong or right. From what I've seen in court rooms, it seems the actually facts are moot, the only thing that matters is how the supposed facts are presented. :(

That is soooo true. Reality has been replaced with perception.

And rules mean nothing to most people. My 80 year old mother is very wise. She explained that in her youth there were not that many rules. (Most) people were guided by a sense of character and did what was right, because it was... Well, the right thing to do. Parents taught their kids manners and respect for others. And they led by example.

As years passed people began to push boundaries. And many rebelled against the so called "establishment"... So, society created rules. Not like rules of today. Just simple rules. The rules of today are a result of the morphing of our society into an entitled and litigious one.

Rules? Those are for someone else. I am special. At least that is how a majority act today. I live downtown and it is unreal how people act. Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians all going against the rules and laws.

After lawsuits galore rules got tedious and verbose. So people ignore them. I would bet most people who feel they follow rules really live in a skewed reality, in front of their kids to boot.

Just look at the way people respond to NCL's rules. Even after accepting the contract by virtue of payment.

Day after day people talk about smuggling booze, which is one rule. And even though people do not promote chair jogging, it exists. For sure.

If people don't like a rule of NCL they come on CC and complain, and say "it's not fair!"

I imagine with my mom's generation fading away, things will continue to trend. It is sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That is soooo true. Reality has been replaced with perception.

And rules mean nothing to most people. My 80 year old mother is very wise. She explained that in her youth there were not that many rules. (Most) people were guided by a sense of character and did what was right, because it was... Well, the right thing to do. Parents taught their kids manners and respect for others. And they led by example.

As years passed people began to push boundaries. And many rebelled against the so called "establishment"... So, society created rules. Not like rules of today. Just simple rules. The rules of today are a result of the morphing of our society into an entitled and litigious one.

Rules? Those are for someone else. I am special. At least that is how a majority act today. I live downtown and it is unreal how people act. Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians all going against the rules and laws.

After lawsuits galore rules got tedious and verbose. So people ignore them. I would bet most people who feel they follow rules really live in a skewed reality, in front of their kids to boot.

Just look at the way people respond to NCL's rules. Even after accepting the contract by virtue of payment.

Day after day people talk about smuggling booze, which is one rule. And even though people do not promote chair jogging, it exists. For sure.

If people don't like a rule of NCL they come on CC and complain, and say "it's not fair!"

I imagine with my mom's generation fading away, things will continue to trend. It is sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Customer service has most certainly decreased since your moms generation as well. This case as presented to us certainly demonstrates this. Not 1 out of 5 company representatives instructed the consumer to re-read his cruise contract or bothered to look up the customers specific booking or even ask him what type of cabin he purchased. Five chances to help this customer were missed.

I dont care if it's written somewhere. The customer called the company 5 times to make sure he had things right about the cancellation policy. Did one of those employees remind him to check his ticket information on page "5" ( or whatever ) of the contract? Not according to the OP. Any chance of finding the phone records that showed you called on 5 occasions. This is just not right. These employees gave him wrong information. Why offer telephone help if it's not of any help. OP you have been misserved by NCL IMO and I hope that you get your $2000.00 deposit back.

There is a reason we are told to read the fine print. Most of us do not always do this and here is an example of what can happen. I am not going to question if the OP really did call 5 times, none of us know that; she said, he said, old story, but the fact still remains; 1-they must have had a clue the cancellation policy might be different: 2-they didn't read the fine print and 3-apparently they didn't have insurance. Why would they expect to get the $2,000 back? I do feel sorry for them, but I don't see how anyone can honestly say NCL is cheating them. If I don't pay my ccard on time, I get charged interest or maybe even a fee, no matter what the reason. Is the company cheating me? Nope!!!

There is a reason we are told to read the fine print. Most of us do not always do this and here is an example of what can happen. I am not going to question if the OP really did call 5 times, none of us know that; she said, he said, old story, but the fact still remains; 1-they must have had a clue the cancellation policy might be different: 2-they didn't read the fine print and 3-apparently they didn't have insurance. Why would they expect to get the $2,000 back? I do feel sorry for them, but I don't see how anyone can honestly say NCL is cheating them. If I don't pay my ccard on time, I get charged interest or maybe even a fee, no matter what the reason. Is the company cheating me? Nope!!!

The NCL rep came on here and said she will look into this. Many of the faithful cheered. Even those that were flaming the OP. The reason is that despite everything else, IF (and we have nothing else to go on ) the OP did attempt to clarify with NCL by phone on 5 seperate occasions, the last day that HE can cancel without penalty and was told the same albeit wrong information, that perhaps in this particular case, out of good faith, the company should make an exception and return this gentleman his deposit. He did cancel within the 90 day period that he was told he needed to and the company had time to get some if not all of their $2000 back by selling the cabin to someone else afterall. Perhaps NCL will not lose this gentleman and his family and friends and some potential new or previous cruisers due to this negative publicity.

The ironic thing on this thread is that I have seen where the cruiselines change the policy that the cruiser has agreed to and perhaps chose that cruiseline because of: age to attend kids club on NCL for example. On those threads the parents in this case, are given little mercy and are told that things change in 15 months and you should have checked to see if the policy changed. Chances are by the sound of the OP's dealings with NCL and my dealings regarding pre-booking restaurants with the UDP, they might have gotten the wrong information anyway so why even bother. Some people even had the nerve to tell such people that they should have checked on here with other cc members. Seriously it has come down to checking on here for NCL policy changes? Seems true. That's sad.

Edited by Karysa

Here is what happened with us with a different cruiseline.

I called 5 different reps at the 800 number. They all told me I could cancel at anytime I wanted. No reasons needed. Turns out we missed the ship. And we called them a week later to get our money.

The cruise line said no.

Since 5 people said we were okay, we will sue and probably get free cruising for life.

So there. Don't mess with us!

I can only hope that the above post was done "tongue in cheek". But ...

I think it is sad that my generation (yep - I'm old) has raised a group of people who take true delight in screwing companies, people out of everything they can. It seems as if they wear their "fraud" and "me first, always" as a badge of honor. As far as I am concerned, this includes sneaking booze on board, trying to "blackmail" the cruise lines into undeserved comps, chair hogging and especially refusing to pay the DSC just because they don't want to. They seem to refuse to take responsibility for their own actions or inactions. And, unfortunately, it isn't confined to just the younger people -- old farts are doing it too.

Instead of appreciating the "al a carte" Freestyle cruising for what it offers (a wonderful cruise at a reasonable price where I am at liberty to upgrade wherever and whenever I can or want), it seems as if all we hear on here is how people aren't satisfied with any part of the vacation. They don't like the food, they don't like the service, they don't like the excursions, they don't like embarkation, or disembarkation. You name it, they don't like it.

OK - I'll get off my soap box. But I hate to think that NCL will increase the fares so that these complainers can get the luxury food and service they feel they deserve. Because I can almost ensure them that these complainers will still be complaining, no matter what.

This is cover letter that is e-mailed to you along with your cruise confirmation:

Thank you for booking your cruise vacation with Norwegian Cruise Line.

Attached you will find a detailed confirmation, listing all cruise fares, payment requirements and cancellation policy. Please review for accuracy and should you have any questions or concerns contact us at 800-327-7030.

Once the booking is under deposit you can proceed to 'My NCL' on http://www.ncl.com to complete the online registration. The prompt completion of this will ensure that you receive the link to our digital Welcome Aboard Brochure, which contains valuable information to prepare you for your best vacation ever.

We look forward to seeing you onboard.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line

So, it is OUR responsibility to read and review!

Harriet

I dont care if it's written somewhere. The customer called the company 5 times to make sure he had things right about the cancellation policy. Did one of those employees remind him to check his ticket information on page "5" ( or whatever ) of the contract? Not according to the OP. Any chance of finding the phone records that showed you called on 5 occasions. This is just not right. These employees gave him wrong information. Why offer telephone help if it's not of any help. OP you have been misserved by NCL IMO and I hope that you get your $2000.00 deposit back.

whether or not they gave op the wrong information is irrelavant. knowing that he/she might have a problem and might therefore need to cancel, op should have taken out insurance.

The NCL rep came on here and said she will look into this.

I think the OP is very blessed that NCL was willing to do that. Every company I have worked for, once the words 'sue', 'lawsuit' or 'lawyer' is used by a customer, all communication with that customer stops.

I dont care if it's written somewhere.

In most places in the USA you cannot change or amend a written contract with verbal changes. The contract with NCL is a written document to which you agreed when you made a deposit. Therefore the contract cannot be changed or amended by oral statements or agreements. OP may have gotten bad information but the contract including its cancellation policy remains unchanged.

I think the OP is very blessed that NCL was willing to do that. Every company I have worked for, once the words 'sue', 'lawsuit' or 'lawyer' is used by a customer, all communication with that customer stops.

Yep , me too . Company policy dictates . Once the customer hints at a lawsuit all communication stops and its passed to senior management and legal .

Its a shame really... The other sad part is , many companies have a settle clause . usually around $2600 .. ( Attorney and court fee's just to appear)

Oh well , welcome to New America ;)

I knew it ! NCL to the rescue ... I love to see it and I hope they do the right thing . What ever that happens to be after their investigation.. ;)

I agree!:) Great post from the poster just above this post BTW.

Edited by Karysa

op should have taken out insurance.
Insurance is always a good idea, but usually you don't get 100% of your money back if you have to make a claim. The OP could have avoided losing his $2000 in the first place with a little old-fashioned CYA. He has been on CC since 2010, so he should have thought to come here to look for independent confirmation of what the NCL reps told him on the phone. Also, looking at his posting history, this was not his first time booking with NCL in the highest stateroom categories. So I'm thinking NCL is going to do what they have to do to keep this big spender on their side.

Personally, after reading all these threads, this "Haven" sounds like a horrible place that just causes lots of problems for everyone. I hope I never have to go there. :p

Insurance is always a good idea, but usually you don't get 100% of your money back if you have to make a claim. The OP could have avoided losing his $2000 in the first place with a little old-fashioned CYA. He has been on CC since 2010, so he should have thought to come here to look for independent confirmation of what the NCL reps told him on the phone. Also, looking at his posting history, this was not his first time booking with NCL in the highest stateroom categories. So I'm thinking NCL is going to do what they have to do to keep this big spender on their side.

Personally, after reading all these threads, this "Haven" sounds like a horrible place that just causes lots of problems for everyone. I hope I never have to go there. :p

Dear NCL Staffer reading this thread. I can't possibly be alone here in thinking that it is absolutely mind blowing that cc member after cc member is recommending that for NCL policy changes and to make sure that the NCL reps have given the correct information, that NCL cruisers should come here on cc to check that the information given is actually the correct information.

I realize that I did this exact same thing the other day but do you really think that this is what should be the case?

I understand that I will not get a reply but I do hope that you look into this. Some think that this is perfectly acceptable but I don't think that the majority of your cruisers and potential consumers actually think this way.

BTW 4 of my last 6 cruises have been on NCL and my next one is as well. I love freestyle and your product and crew while on board and chose NCL when given the chance to. HAVING to check on cc for policy changes and NCL booking info etc is just wrong and not the message that I would think that you would want out there. :)

I completely agree with you. The NCL reps should know the answers to your questions when you call or find someone that can answer them. They shouldn't be able to tell you whatever they think you want to hear, then cite the contract when you find out it isn't true. That's bad customer service. I understand they might not always get it right but they should definitely make the effort to give you the right answer. And if someone calls about a cancellation policy, they shouldn't just cite the 90 day out policy, regardless if the person's reservation falls under the 120 out policy.

My last post on this one .

For the Record with all things considered ( The 5 reps , not reading the contract , a full 90 days before sailing , ect . )

"I" feel the fair thing to do is give the OP a credit toward a future cruise.

NCL still gets their money , OP gets his cruise , everyones happy..

Plus the 90 days to resell that suite ? I bet it did or will or was...

Oh Well Good luck All...

I completely agree with you. The NCL reps should know the answers to your questions when you call or find someone that can answer them. They shouldn't be able to tell you whatever they think you want to hear, then cite the contract when you find out it isn't true. That's bad customer service. I understand they might not always get it right but they should definitely make the effort to give you the right answer. And if someone calls about a cancellation policy, they shouldn't just cite the 90 day out policy, regardless if the person's reservation falls under the 120 out policy.

And I agree with you as well. Fine time for the NCL rep to cite the contract when it's too late. Why wasn't that done in the first place? Or the 2nd..3rd.. You get the idea.;)

I can't possibly be alone here in thinking that it is absolutely mind blowing that cc member after cc member is recommending that for NCL policy changes and to make sure that the NCL reps have given the correct information, that NCL cruisers should come here on cc to check that the information given is actually the correct information.
To be fair, the OP could also have checked the NCL site. The cancellation fee schedule pops up immediately if you type "cancellation" into the search bar on the main page. This is really basic information that is available from many different sources. I have already said in this thread that the NCL phone reps should know the right answer, and if the OP was given misinformation, that's not good. Then again, maybe he asked the question in a strange way each time and the agent misunderstood what he was asking, or maybe he misunderstood the answer, who knows? Calling 5 times is excessive. I bet they wish people would quit calling so much for such basic info and use the Internet instead.

To be fair, the OP could also have checked the NCL site. The cancellation fee schedule pops up immediately if you type "cancellation" into the search bar on the main page. This is really basic information that is available from many different sources. I have already said in this thread that the NCL phone reps should know the right answer, and if the OP was given misinformation, that's not good. Then again, maybe he asked the question in a strange way each time and the agent misunderstood what he was asking, or maybe he misunderstood the answer, who knows? Calling 5 times is excessive. I bet they wish people would quit calling so much for such basic info and use the Internet instead.

I wouldn't have known what to if I wanted to cancel my cruise. I would have called the NCL help line ( wrong word I know ;))

Some people still have limited Internet knowledge. The "DMV" where I live gets very few people renewing licence plate stickers online because people get used to and trust going in person and dealing with an individual and prefer standing in line rather than doing this on line.;) I am with the masses still I guess. I would rather deal with a person.

This thread has been seen by many people and the what I see as negative publicity could have been avoided if 1 of the 5 NCL reps contacted would have done his or her job correctly.

Edited by Karysa

I wouldn't have known what to if I wanted to cancel my cruise. I would have called the NCL help line ( wrong word I know ;))

Some people still have limited Internet knowledge. The "DMV" where I live gets very few people renewing licence plate stickers online because people get used to and trust going in person and dealing with an individual and prefer standing in line rather than doing this on line.;) I am with the masses still I guess. I would rather deal with a person.

This thread has been seen by many people and the what I see as negative publicity could have been avoided if 1 of the 5 NCL reps contacted would have done his or her job correctly.

it could also have been avoided had the op taken some personal responsibility and taken out insurance (even though they may not have gotten everything back they would have gotten most of it) knowing there was a real possibility they would need to cancel.

[/color]

it could also have been avoided had the op taken some personal responsibility and taken out insurance (even though they may not have gotten everything back they would have gotten most of it) knowing there was a real possibility they would need to cancel.

Why would having insurance help when cancelling a cruise in the free cancellation period? Remember the customer was told that the free of penalty cancellation period was up to 90 days prior to his cruise. He was apparently told this on 5 seperate occasions by NCL reps and cancelled prior to 90 days of his cruise.

Edited by Karysa

Why would having insurance help when cancelling a cruise in the free cancellation period? Remember the customer was told that the free of penalty cancellation period was up to 90 days prior to his cruise. He was apparently told this on 5 seperate occasions by NCL reps and cancelled prior to 90 days of his cruise.

fair point. but what if it was only a week before the cruise?

fair point. but what if it was only a week before the cruise?

Then cruise insurance is a necessity IMO. In this case if the cruiser purchased insurance the cruiser would have lost money that he really would not have had to spend if 1 of 5 NCL reps would have simply done their job and nothing more than their job.

Edited by Karysa

No one seems to have asked (or discovered) what the OP actually said when they rang NCL?

Scenario 1.

Q. What is the cancellation period?

A. Usually 90 days.

No real issue here - general question, general answer covering the majority of cases, just not OP's particular circumstances - should have asked the proper question.

Scenario 2.

Q. I am booked in a suite. What is the cancellation policy?

A. 90 days.

WRONG

Until we know what the OP asked, this is all futile speculation.

Also, if OP (being an experienced cruiser):

1. didn't RTFC (where it is clearly stated and you are encouraged to read it)

2. felt the need to ask 5 times (this, in itself, raises a big alarm bell to me - why ask 5 times without checking elsewhere?)

IMHO the OP should be (legally speaking) SooL.

Whether NCL decide to do something, is a commercial decision involving PR and the OP's potential spend/profitability to them.

In UK - you cancel - you lose your deposit - so I have little to no sympathy.

Just my (rather cynical) two penn'orth.

Edited by SteveH2508

2. felt the need to ask 5 times (this, in itself, raises a big alarm bell to me - why ask 5 times without checking elsewhere?)

Actually the OP states that they asked "5" times, but only notes 3 times in their original post. So they may be classing the 2 phone calls that agreed to returning their deposit for the other 2 times. Or they exaggerate, take your pick. Since we already have been told by the OP that they only used the word "sue" for sensationalism, I think "exaggeration" could be a possibility.

And although the phone calls were not directly for asking about the cancellation policy but apparently for other things and this was just asked in conversation. Who asks the same question that many times, unless they think they are being given the wrong answer. Very odd.

"booked a cruise in September 2013, cruise date March 30 2014. We knew there might be a family conflict, so we asked very specifically for the cancellation policy. Told it was 90 days. Called back on Sept 4, made a small change to reservation, asked again and told it was a 90 day cancellation policy. Because I'm paranoid, I called again in October and asked for the specific date of the deadline. Told by phone it was Dec 30, ninety days out. Unfortunately our conflict came true and we called to cancel on Dec 16, 104 days out. The rep on that call processed the refund and said it would take 5 to 10 business days. On Dec 30, there was no refund so I called and was told AGAIN it would hit my credit card in the next few days."