Anyone cancel a cruise in less than 10 days with no insurance

Lynzchat

I'm glad it worked out for the OP. We have always purchased insurance after finding out its value when my mother-in-law had to be hospitalized in Greece while on a cruise.

My travel agent makes me send him an email declining to purchase insurance through him when we've taken cruises on other lines. (With our Princess cruises, we purchase the Princess insurance since we get the Platinum policy at the discounted rate.) I buy insurance for our cruises on other cruise lines independently.

It's not too late to buy insurance from one of the insurance providers. Travelex Insurance or Travelguard. Both of them are equally good and much cheaper than insurance bought from the cruise lines. You can add 'cancel for any reason option'. You can buy the cancelation insurance up to the first day of your vacations.

I have a real hard time believing this is an accurate statement. That is not in the best interest of the insurance company and they'd go out of business real quick. Just imagine you book a expensive trip without insurance and it's now 10 days before sailing. You decide not to go, purchase cancellation insurance and then cancel. You get your cruise fare back and are only out the insurance cost. The only way an insurance company could offer something like that would be to have a very high price, not something less than the cruise line offers. Give me a break ...

you can also just get medical and evacuation insurance which is a lot less than trip interruption insurance...

we purchased this for our cabo land trip and it was very inexpensive...

I can handle losing the cruise fare (would suck i know) but the thought of dropping $50k on a helicopter ride does scare me.

This is my thinking exactly! Losing cruise fare would hurt but it's the thought of an evacuation that scares me to death! Coverage for a year of travel for a not so young me is about $180.

I have a real hard time believing this is an accurate statement. That is not in the best interest of the insurance company and they'd go out of business real quick. Just imagine you book a expensive trip without insurance and it's now 10 days before sailing. You decide not to go, purchase cancellation insurance and then cancel. You get your cruise fare back and are only out the insurance cost. The only way an insurance company could offer something like that would be to have a very high price, not something less than the cruise line offers. Give me a break ...

You can buy insurance up until the last minute. The last minute ones won't cover pre-exisiting conditions. I don't aways buy it and YES, its pretty stupid. I have bought it and used it. Before you knock what someone posts, simply google trip insurance and talk to an agent. Some people do post FACTS not just opinions. For everyone one person that files a claim, 1000's don't.

Edited by Blk_Amish