Honeymoon Beach, Water Island

Balconyaft

This looks intriguing and not to complicated to get to from cruiseship pier. We are arriving Havensight pier on Celebrity Summit. What do you think , is this a good beach or should we take the time instead to head over to Secret Harbour or Long haul to St John? My family (DH, plus Mom and Dad) really enjoy beaches, snorkelling is not critical, lounging and beautiful sand, surf is.

Magen's Bay last time, Sapphire was the destination beach but with the current situation there we are not going to try it.

Thanks so much for sharing your Honeymoon Beach stories, the one on Water Island near pier, not the one within walking distance of St John ferry. Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm new to this forum - just learned of it on my recent cruise - and this is my first post. I hope I do not offend anyone but I was at Honeymoon Beach this last Wednesday and this is what I would have wanted to know before I went.

I was somewhat disappointed and don't think I would bother to go again. It is fairly difficult to get to if you are docked at Havensight. I thought I was going to a quiet sparsely populated beach but unfortunately it apparently has been discovered. Literally hundreds of people came off excursion boats onto this small beach and it was towel to towel. There were not a lot of amenities to speak of except a grill under a tent and a small beach bar that seemed to cater to people living on boats anchored there. There were some benches but only a few lounge chairs and the rest rooms were only one step above a port-a-potty. The sand was not particularly nice it was tan and rather coarse. I thought it would be more like the beautiful white sands of St. John but it wasn't. Locals told us the sand was brought in years ago to create a beach where there was none. The water was calm, snorkeling mediocre. We had a good day but not an exotic day on a tropical paradise as I had imagined.

I'm new to this forum - just learned of it on my recent cruise - and this is my first post. I hope I do not offend anyone but I was at Honeymoon Beach this last Wednesday and this is what I would have wanted to know before I went.

I was somewhat disappointed and don't think I would bother to go again. It is fairly difficult to get to if you are docked at Havensight. I thought I was going to a quiet sparsely populated beach but unfortunately it apparently has been discovered. Literally hundreds of people came off excursion boats onto this small beach and it was towel to towel. There were not a lot of amenities to speak of except a grill under a tent and a small beach bar that seemed to cater to people living on boats anchored there. There were some benches but only a few lounge chairs and the rest rooms were only one step above a port-a-potty. The sand was not particularly nice it was tan and rather coarse. I thought it would be more like the beautiful white sands of St. John but it wasn't. Locals told us the sand was brought in years ago to create a beach where there was none. The water was calm, snorkeling mediocre. We had a good day but not an exotic day on a tropical paradise as I had imagined.

Wow, I am so thankful for the response. So definitely we will not be going to Honeymoon Beach, Water Island. I'm actually considering taking the cruiseship tour to get us over to ST John instead. Maybe go to Trunk or Cinnamon beach or even Honeymoon Beach over there. Thank you for saving us from a disappointing day in St Thomas. Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, when we went a few years ago, it hadn't been discovered at all and there were only a few people there. It was quite private and we really enjoyed it! Nice to know that it has been "discovered" by the excursion boats and is now packed with people... thank you for letting us know!

We were just there last month and did not find the conditions reported above to be the case on our visit. We did have an easier time of transport as the Emerald Princess docked at Crown Bay, where the ferry to Water Island departs. There were probably fewer than 20 people on the beach at the end by Dinghy's, which is where we were able to use loungers at no cost to patrons. A "party" boat did arrive for about an hour or so at one point during the day, but it anchored at the other end of the beach by Heidi's and posed no interference to our enjoyment of the day. There had been heavy rains for several days prior to our visit and the water was a bit murky as a result, so snorkeling was not optimal that day. I think that is purely a factor of the weather. In fact, there had been so much rain that the entry road was flooded at the bottom of the hill. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to return. But, do be aware that the water taxi has a limited capacity (I think 27) so be sure you don't wait for the last ferry that you THINK will allow you to make it back to your ship. If the ferry is full, you will have to wait for the next one an hour later, which could pose a problem.

I’m a local and this is my view with respect to the posts from SeekingParadise and VaCruzers:

Both posters could be reporting their experiences on Honeymoon Beach quite accurately. VaCruzers reported that he/she was on the beach last month. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are a notoriously low tourist season. ALL beaches in the Virgin Islands have less visitors on them than during the “high” season from January on. Right now the situation described by SeekingParadise is closer to the day to day norm. The numbers of visitors does vary by the day of the week but multiple excursions per day are the norm. Lounge chairs are limited and usually occupied by renters on the island before day visitors arrive. And be prepared to allow extra time for returning to St. Thomas as ferry overload at this time of year does occur. Hope this helps to clarify the situation.

I was in St. Thomas for a week in December for a photography workshop and we visited a LOT of the beaches on both St. Thomas and St. John. Honeymoon beach in St. John was by far my favorite, as far as being uncrowded and very picturesque. Caneel Bay resort is a very short walk from the beach and the food (and drinks!) were excellent and refreshing after a long day in the sun there.

That being said, the ferry to and from St. Thomas does get very crowded - make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to the ferry so you can be towards the front of the line and get a spot.

mirglip69 - You will find a St. Thomas cruise ship port schedule on www dot vinow dot com

glittaknitta - There are 2 Honeymoon Beaches accessible from St. Thomas and many visitors confuse the two. Honeymoon Beach, Water Island is not the same place as Honeymoon Beach, St. John. You have given an accurate description of Honeymoon Beach, St. John and the ferry to St. John is much, much larger than the ferry to Water Island.

We were going to do Honeymoon beach on Water Island but I have been hearing how busy it is, s we changed out plans. I found a marina about 15 mins from the cruise docks and they rent out small center console 15 feet long boats with 50 HP motors. We are renting one of those and are going to visit all the beaches along the East coast of St. Thomas and West Coast of St. John. We are also planning on driving up to Jost Van Dyke for lunch. I am expecting this to be the most amazing thing we have planned so I am crazy excited. Best thing is it is all SOLO. Me and the wife only do no following in a straight line tour guide. We will be there hoepfully around 8 and have the boat back around 4 and head back to the ship.

CBELL,

I'm not going to try to rain on your parade but what you are planning is highly dangerous. To get to Jost van Dyke you have to travel about 8 miles into the atlantic ocean. I wouldn't do that in a 15' boat. You have to clear customs when you get there and then again when you return.

As far as St John the only beach on the west side is the one at the Westin and it's not worth going to IMO. Trunk, Cinnamon, Hawks Nest and Maho are all on the north side of St John.

glittaknitta - There are 2 Honeymoon Beaches accessible from St. Thomas and many visitors confuse the two. Honeymoon Beach, Water Island is not the same place as Honeymoon Beach, St. John. You have given an accurate description of Honeymoon Beach, St. John and the ferry to St. John is much, much larger than the ferry to Water Island.

Right. I'm familiar with both beaches. Sorry, I should have included the post I was replying to in my answer. I was replying to this:

"Wow, I am so thankful for the response. So definitely we will not be going to Honeymoon Beach, Water Island. I'm actually considering taking the cruiseship tour to get us over to ST John instead. Maybe go to Trunk or Cinnamon beach or even Honeymoon Beach over there. Thank you for saving us from a disappointing day in St Thomas. Cheers"

CBELL,

I'm not going to try to rain on your parade but what you are planning is highly dangerous. To get to Jost van Dyke you have to travel about 8 miles into the atlantic ocean. I wouldn't do that in a 15' boat. You have to clear customs when you get there and then again when you return.

As far as St John the only beach on the west side is the one at the Westin and it's not worth going to IMO. Trunk, Cinnamon, Hawks Nest and Maho are all on the north side of St John.

Your not raining on anything of mine, I grew up boating and am well aware of my limitations as well as any and all equipment I may be using. Considering the company who rents said boats give you a map of the area that lets you know where you are allowed to venture. I wouldn't think the company would give you a map saying a place is safe to go to and it not be. Very bad for business, As far as immigration. Going through Jost is about the easiest place to go through in the world. Give them 5 bucks and head through the doors.

Your not raining on anything of mine, I grew up boating and am well aware of my limitations as well as any and all equipment I may be using. Considering the company who rents said boats give you a map of the area that lets you know where you are allowed to venture. I wouldn't think the company would give you a map saying a place is safe to go to and it not be. Very bad for business, As far as immigration. Going through Jost is about the easiest place to go through in the world. Give them 5 bucks and head through the doors.

You might want to catch up on the new BVI fees. They are trying to bleed visitors with a new arrival as well as the departure tax and cruising tax. Also, you will have to go back to St John to clear back in to the USVI. You will be spending a great deal of time in a little boat. I wish you luck, and please let us hear how it works out.

I am sitting on a lounger on Water Island's Honeymoon Beach right now. It is incredible, only a couple dozen people. Simply lovely. We took the 10:00 ferry from crown bay, where our ship is docked. So far only one excursion boat was here for about an hour and a half, and even that only had maybe 15 people. We got lucky. Talking to the girls at the beach bar, they do have crowded days now. Loving it!

I am sitting on a lounger on Water Island's Honeymoon Beach right now. It is incredible, only a couple dozen people. Simply lovely. We took the 10:00 ferry from crown bay, where our ship is docked. So far only one excursion boat was here for about an hour and a half, and even that only had maybe 15 people. We got lucky. Talking to the girls at the beach bar, they do have crowded days now. Loving it!

Can I ask how many loungers are available for day visitors and where did you find yours?

We were going to do Honeymoon beach on Water Island but I have been hearing how busy it is, s we changed out plans. I found a marina about 15 mins from the cruise docks and they rent out small center console 15 feet long boats with 50 HP motors. We are renting one of those and are going to visit all the beaches along the East coast of St. Thomas and West Coast of St. John. We are also planning on driving up to Jost Van Dyke for lunch. I am expecting this to be the most amazing thing we have planned so I am crazy excited. Best thing is it is all SOLO. Me and the wife only do no following in a straight line tour guide. We will be there hoepfully around 8 and have the boat back around 4 and head back to the ship.

Look forward to your report when you return! Are you checking in with customs in Great Harbor when you arrive Josts?

You are really lucky to have experienced Honeymoon Beach at it's best. Today is the slowest day that we have seen in weeks. Not many cruisers will be so fortunate! You should have seen it yesterday.

You are really lucky to have experienced Honeymoon Beach at it's best. Today is the slowest day that we have seen in weeks. Not many cruisers will be so fortunate! You should have seen it yesterday.

We'll be at Crown Bay on a Sunday in mid March with 2 other ships in St Thomas that day. Any clue on how busy we would expect Honeymoon Beach to be? :confused:

I totally recognize our great luck today. We chatted with the girls at Heidi's and they told us yesterday was crazy. And after I wrote the last entry, the Kon Tiki did arrive with a load of excursion guests. Still lovely, though!

We got a lounger from Heidi's for $5. Dinghy's at the other end also has them.

Waiting for the ferry now. A perfect day!

We'll be at Crown Bay on a Sunday in mid March with 2 other ships in St Thomas that day. Any clue on how busy we would expect Honeymoon Beach to be? :confused:

Hard to tell this far in advance. I'm guessing you are on the Emerald Princess. Princess cruisers tend to be a bit more adventuresome than say HAL cruisers (which probably explains today's lower numbers) but it is still hard to know. Usually fewer cruisers on Sundays but there are occasional events that bring many St. Thomasans to WI and the ferry can get real busy. Haven't seen any publicity yet but it's still too early to make predictions for mid-March. It will still be "high" season at least thru Easter so any day can get crazy. Sorry I can't provide a more definitive answer.