What our "Pre-Christmas" Getaway Cruises Have Showed Us

kruzerci

We started doing this a few years back when we snagged a ridiculous deal on the Monarch just before Christmas. We had always cruised in the summer and never even thought about cruising in the winter. Anyways, we did our 3rd (now annual ;)) Christmas cruise last month on the Oasis. I just wanted to post a little bit about our new tradition for those who hadn't considered the option.

For us, it is such a precious break between holidays. After having family from all over the Southeast for Thanksgiving, we are generally worn out. With Christmas just a month away, its usually a month of procrastination and stress for us.

When we booked that last minute Monarch cruise a few years ago, we vowed to have everything except Christmas dinner finished before the cruise. And we did it. All the shopping, the cooking (whatever could be frozen), and the decorating were done by the second week of December. It totally eliminated the stress that usually mounts the week before Christmas.

Not to mention, after the first month of cold weather, the tropics area warm welcome.

There is nothing better than escaping the cold weather for a week in the Caribbean and coming home to a (relatively :p) stress free Christmas.

I just thought I'd throw the idea out there for the people that hadn't considered the option before. To sum it up, it is the best of everything. A nice tan for the Christmas pictures, some of the lowest rates of the year, the beautiful way the ships are decorated, the fact that it all but forces you to get everything done ahead of time, and its a nice break before the busy season!

After my sister got stuck in North Dakota an extra full week while visiting her in-laws this year, my DH and I suggested we all go on a cruise this year. I quickly noticed rated the first two weeks of Dec were noticeably cheaper. We prob cannot book until end of June early July as we need to wait to see if any ladies are pregnant before then. When do you normally book, and when do you notice the best deals?? No urgency on room selection. We're not picky on rooms, and prob wouldn't mind if we were spread out a little bit. :)

Thanks! Perfect timing with your post!

After my sister got stuck in North Dakota an extra full week while visiting her in-laws this year, my DH and I suggested we all go on a cruise this year. I quickly noticed rated the first two weeks of Dec were noticeably cheaper. We prob cannot book until end of June early July as we need to wait to see if any ladies are pregnant before then. When do you normally book, and when do you notice the best deals?? No urgency on room selection. We're not picky on rooms, and prob wouldn't mind if we were spread out a little bit. :)

One word of caution - I went on an 8 night cruise on Independence of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale the 2nd week of Dec (Dec 7-15) and it was FULL of senior citizens (I have never seen so many walkers, scooters, etc).

When I mentioned this demographic to table mates at dinner (we were lucky enough to have late dinner -- apparently the early dinner was wall to wall people!), they said that the cruise line offers package deals to the senior citizen communities in FL on the cruises between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We usually book about 10-12 months in advance to lock in decent prices, but there are deals to be had in the summer months, as well. The rates started going up on our Oasis cruise around July or August, if I remember correctly. We had a price drop and ended up paying $899 P/P for an oceanview balcony on Oasis this trip. I believe we paid around $799 p/p for a D2 on Navigator for 7 nights last year. I think those are about as low as it gets, close to fall rates.

I would think you would be fine as far as prices are concerned booking by June or July!

I just thought I would share since we have made it a new tradition. Of course its not fun knowing you have to go back to cold weather for Christmas, but it's a nice feeling getting off the ship knowing you have everything done ahead of time and can enjoy the holidays. The weather has been perfect the past three years that we have cruised that time and it's just what we need before a long winter!

The only down side for us is that it gets dark so early that time of year, even in the Caribbean. So wake up early and enjoy the sun and book shows and dinner earlier than usual.

One word of caution - I went on an 8 night cruise on Independence of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale the 2nd week of Dec (Dec 7-15) and it was FULL of senior citizens (I have never seen so many walkers, scooters, etc).

When I mentioned this demographic to table mates at dinner (we were lucky enough to have late dinner -- apparently the early dinner was wall to wall people!), they said that the cruise line offers package deals to the senior citizen communities in FL on the cruises between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We did notice that on our first December cruise on Monarch, maybe a little bit on Navigator last December, but not really at all on Oasis this December. It may have been because it was such an international crowd or that seniors don't go for the ships as big as Oasis.

On one hand its nice not having all the kids, but on the other hand, the nightlife is a little more subdued.

We've sailed or vacationed at this time for nearly 10 years now, and I have to agree with you. We are stuck doing almost all the "entertaining and hosting" duties and our cruise was a little "oasis" in the middle of doing for everyone else.

Like you, we get all the big Christmas stuff done before T Day (we always have, I like to remember what the season is about not get caught up in the Christmas Industrial complex, and the easiest way for us is to be done with that stuff before advent) When we get back, in addition to a time consuming review:p, I only have fun stuff like baking and wrapping to do, I enjoy my guests more and I can make it till winter break in February!

I do have to agree with Peggy, that the demo is different at that time of year. I am not going to be ageist, because I think "age" is a state of mind, and I've meet some incredible people at every age, but I had more of a concern about there being too many "experienced" cruisers due to Diamonds in Dec promotions. I'm one of those myself, but I enjoy a good mix of newbies and experienced cruisers. I found the last few cruises I did in early Dec had some very jaded cruisers who didn't clap for the CD, or shows, gamed Quest, grumbled a lot in general. That was disappointing. So I've resolved not to "be that guy" no matter how many cruises I take.;)

But the combo of price and time of year can't be beat, if you are the type that can get organized ahead of time!

We were on this cruise too and while we had a great time it was wall-to-wall scooters and cranky guests. Still, we would do it again. We booked a Nov cruise out of Galveston hoping to avoid a repeat situation.

you nailed it when you said the weather was great, but we found the water to be cold. Yeah, we are from Texas and love our pool in the summer when the water temp gets near 90....so the Caribbean can be cold to southern folks. ..now those form the North? Nah, not a problem!

We did the same thing this past Christmas arriving home on 12/21/13. I hoped to have everything completed except for the food shopping and on my part it all worked out. My dd had shopping to do and of course last minute gifts came up. But all in all we had a great time and plan on doing this again pre-Christmas 2014. Just plan ahead and get everything finished before you leave!!!

I agree with the OP. We have done this for the last 5 years. Have gotten some great prices. Went on the Silhouette when she was brand new for $999 in a balcony for 12 nights. This year we are booked on the Dec.1 sailing of the Quantum. Prices are higher but it will be a brand new ship doing her first 11 night Caribbean sailing. Try to get everything done before you go and you come back relaxed and ready to celebrate Christmas. This year we came back on Dec. 22 and still did not feel too rushed. For the Quantum we come back on Dec. 12 so will have a little more time for the last minute baking and cooking.