Azamara - not again

Burlington ON

The mould probably did not grow overnight, however it can grow very quickly especially under the right conditions - it could have been only a day or two. Contrary to popular belief, cleaning with bleach is not enough to eliminate mould. The only way to get rid of mould is to physically remove any infected material and to thoroughly scrub the affected area. I am surprised this was not done. I am also surprised that it sounds like the removal of the carpet was not carried out according to any kind of health and safety protocal for mould remediation.

I am not sure about in the US, but in Canada there guidelines regarding acceptable levels of airborne spores that are deemed safe and protocols for the safe remediation of mould.

Perhaps Bonnie can find out for us whether or not Azamara has a health and safety protocal regarding mould and whether there or not there are any mandated actions required by the crew when mould is discovered. Thanks.

Agree...and it also depends on what country the ship is registered. Different guidelines and standards for other countries, I assume. Possibly Philip, the Hotel Director for the Quest may want to respond, as well as Bonnie? Cruises and airfare are not cheap and no passenger should be subjected to this. I am certain the prior passenger to us disembarked early that a.m. and I arrived later in the afternoon. Remember, the tub drain was also broken upon arrival and the room steward also told me he smelled the mold the next day. Remedy was on my 6th day of cruise and only after I told them I was canceling my Oct 2014 Croatia cruise with them did they bother to take action.

To add to the discussion, I have gotten very sick on other ships with poor ventilation, but not on Azamara. I learned the hard way that, due to allergies and asthma, I have to have a stateroom that opens to the outside which means paying for balcony and keeping the balcony door open as much as possible.

I also can't tolerate varnish and paint odors or perfume. Makes life a bit complicated, particularly when a ship is always being painted. If we sit at a table in the dining room with people who drown others with their perfume, we have to move. And if there is a scent of previous passenger perfume or air freshener, I cannot be in the room.

If I were to enter a room with mold, I would smell it immediately and have to move.

I also cannot use their "About Rose" products as they are highly scented. Also cannot have flowers in the room. It is important to let the ship know in advance of boarding through their "special needs" forms.

So far Azamara has been good. I keep my fingers crossed every time we board.

Thanks for your encouragement and support everybody!

To answer some questions:

- I have been a TA owner for 34 years and Azamara has been promoting their product to us since its inception.

- I have tried to get an extension on the 1-year term but Azamara is standing firm. Even if they did extend it, though, I don't want to spend another $10,000 just to recoup what I should have received last October.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We re-opened the dialogue with Azamara and included the link to this CruiseCritic thread in our communication. The same day the email was sent to Customer Relations we got a phone call from Mr. Pimentel's Executive Assistant. She offered us a cash refund and an upgrade valid for one year.

I'll be sure to include a cruise critic thread I start next time I have an issue and want some compensation. Thanks for the lesson.

Edited by cruzsnooze

It is nice to know others have similar problems because my husband get embarrassed when I turn red gasp for air and have to leave an area. I all sways carry an inhaler and my meds.

Wow

56 posts about mold on Azamara

This will certainly attract new cruisers to the line .....

I am astounded by this thread.

I have three more cruises booked on Azamara and even I am rethinking the last two based on reading this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Laraine,

All ships can have a mould and sewer problem. Last year on the regent voyager the sewer gas smell was awful on some corridors. Last Christmas in a Grand suite on RCCL we had to keep the plugs in the tub and sinks at all times or the odor would enter the room.

The question is not what issues arise but how they are handled. Azamara has seemed to handle these issues reasonably well both during and after the cruise. I didnt have the same positive experience with Oceania during and after the cruise some years ago and have not given them a try after that.

Edited by Emdee

I have three more cruises booked on Azamara and even I am rethinking the last two based on reading this

Seriously???

Best I can tell (and I have followed this thread a while, I leave next week) it is 1 person that had an issue. Then a lot of discussion.

Just one complaint about mold. I am not even questioning the OP's motives or intentions or the truthfulness of the statement, just the idea that one bad comment/review would make you re-think a vacation.

Seriously???

Best I can tell (and I have followed this thread a while, I leave next week) it is 1 person that had an issue. Then a lot of discussion.

Just one complaint about mold. I am not even questioning the OP's motives or intentions or the truthfulness of the statement, just the idea that one bad comment/review would make you re-think a vacation.

Totally Agree with you!

Totally Agree with you!

Me too! :D I am so looking forward to our cruises. Not once did I consider cancelling our cruises because of this thread. As I previously stated, I am always leary of someone who joins a forum and their very first post is negative.

Seriously???

A very well balanced post thank you

Laraine,

All ships can have a mould and sewer problem. Last year on the regent voyager the sewer gas smell was awful on some corridors. Last Christmas in a Grand suite on RCCL we had to keep the plugs in the tub and sinks at all times or the odor would enter the room.

The question is not what issues arise but how they are handled. Azamara has seemed to handle these issues reasonably well both during and after the cruise. I didnt have the same positive experience with Oceania during and after the cruise some years ago and have not given them a try after that.

Agree with your comments. This is not exclusively an "Azamara issue" nor is it an issue with the age of the ships or how well they are maintained. The Quest and the Journey are far from being worn out. And I have no hesitation cruising again with Azamara - we are booked on the Journey, Jan 2015 to Antarctica.

What is an issue for me, is whether Azamara , and the cruise industry, have health and safety protocol re: clean air. There are guidelines to deal with Novovirus - what about mould and VOCs? Question for Bonnie.

Hi Everyone,

As a number of posts were off-topic, and required removal, this thread is now closed.

As always, if you have any concerns about specific posts, please do not get into battle with the member. Please use the alert trianglereport.gif, which will get my immediate attention, and resolve the issue at hand.

Please stay on topic, and refrain from hijacking threads and/or discussing our members. It's simply not helpful to anyone.

Thanks very much for your participation.

Edited by Host Andy