Fairbanks breakfast & dinner recommendations

Lorey2007

I need some recommendations for reasonably priced breakfast & dinner in Fairbanks. Our hotel has a $15 breakfast buffet that has not gotten good reviews I guess I wouldn't mind the $15 if the food was good. We'll have a car for 1-2 days.

Edited by Lorey2007

Where are you staying in Fairbanks (so I can suggest something that is not too far for breakfast)? And what types of cuisine do you enjoy.

PS: $15.00 for breakfast in Fairbanks isn't that outrageous. And a number of folks comment that our meals here tend to be much larger than what they expect.

When we were in Fairbanks this past summer, we ate at Brewsters (in the mall) for dinner. Great food.

Here is a link:

http://www.brewstersalaska.com

Since you have a car you will be able to get their easily. We used the local transportation system. Seniors travel free.

There are two Brewsters, and both are located in strip malls. Even though the menus are the same, I much prefer the one located off of the Old Steese Hwy. to the one located off of Airport Way.

Where are you staying in Fairbanks (so I can suggest something that is not too far for breakfast)? And what types of cuisine do you enjoy.

PS: $15.00 for breakfast in Fairbanks isn't that outrageous. And a number of folks comment that our meals here tend to be much larger than what they expect.

We'll be staying at Pikes Waterfront 3 nights, 1 night on our own and 2 with a cruise tour with RCL. Breakfast for us would be made to order eggs, with potatoes, bacon & toast or omelets. For dinner a good pizza place, BBQ not looking for gourmet food just good food and nothing fancy.

When we were in Fairbanks this past summer, we ate at Brewsters (in the mall) for dinner. Great food.

Here is a link:

http://www.brewstersalaska.com

Since you have a car you will be able to get their easily. We used the local transportation system. Seniors travel free.

There are two Brewsters, and both are located in strip malls. Even though the menus are the same, I much prefer the one located off of the Old Steese Hwy. to the one located off of Airport Way.

Thanks I'll print this one and add it to my pile of info.:) Keep them coming.

Edited by Lorey2007

Lorey: Here are some ideas. I am sure others will have more suggestions. Goggle their names for their websites. And most Fairbanks restaurants are non-smoking.

Pikes Landing: This is the stand alone restaurant associated with Pikes Waterfront (it actually pre-dated the hotel), and is a well loved local standard for seafood. The restaurant itself has a nice Alaskan art collection, and the meals will range from $25 to $35 (not including salad or soup). They also have a large deck on the Chena River, and the bar offers sandwiches and so forth.

Fairbanks Princess Lodge: This property is located beside the Pikes facility. Quite frankly, the food is lousy, but it is an option. They do have a nice deck on the Chena River.

Chena's Bar and Grill: This is my favorite local restaurant, but it is only open for summers. The executive chef "runs dogs" in the winter, which is "Alaska speak" meaning that Jamison is a dog musher. The one caveat with this restaurant is that we never know if Jamison is returning until the first time we are there for the season. Their dinner meals run $17 to $30 for dinner, and their dinners include either a cup of soup or salad. They also offer sandwiches, large salads and so forth for dinner. They also have a nice deck on the Chena River, and on a nice evening it is great to watch the canoes and so forth on the Chena. It is located about half a mile from your hotel (on the same access road which parallels Airport Way).

Pump House Restaurant: This Fairbanks classic is located in an historic pump house which pumped water from the Chena to the mining camps on the other side Chena Ridge. We live on Chena Ridge, and this is a neighborhood favorite in the winter as I particularly enjoy sitting in the Senator's Saloon with the lamp light reflecting off the pressed metal ceiling while looking at the large wooden bar. Seafood is their specialty, although they frequently will have such other Alaskan items as reindeer steak and muskox on the menu. Their prices are comparable to Pikes Landing. Again, they have a nice deck on the Chena (do you sense a pattern here?), and it is a nice stop on a summer evening.

Wolf Run: This is a newly opened restaurant located in the old Wolf Run dessert and coffee house. It is on University Avenue. An interesting menu with great food. Entrees run about $20 to $30. They are small, so even in the winter reservations have been a must.

Sam's Sourdough Cafe: This is a diner and has been a Fairbanks classic for years. It is also located on University Avenue, but north of Wolf Run. Their clientele includes everyone from university professors (they are located near the University of Alaska Fairbanks) to dog mushers. No alcohol license, but they do have an outdoor deck (not on the Chena). They also have great sourdough pancakes.

Geraldos: This pizzeria is owned by the same folks that own Brewsters. In addition to pizza they have some other "Italian-ish" offerings. While opinions about pizza always differ, this is probably the best in Fairbanks. They are located on College Road and are very close to the Fountainhead Auto Museum.

Gambardella's: This Fairbanks classic is an Italian restaurant located downtown. They have wonderful lasagna.

We have a number of Thai restaurants, and my two favorites are the Lemon Grass (located off Chena Pump Road) and the Thai House (located downtown).

The Cookie Jar has received some attention on this board since they were one of the restaurants featured on a food network show. We hadn't gone in years since the food often isn't good and the service can be really lousy. We had lunch there this fall, and the food was lousy as was the service (the beef soup was made with powdered gravy mix).

And to the surprise of many Fairbanks has the usual assortment of Pizza Huts, Carl's Jr., MacDonalds, Taco Bells, Denny's and so forth.

Just my thoughts on two other local restaurants:

Alaska Salmon Bake: This salmon bake was one of the first and is still owned by a local family, although the founder's daughter and son-in-law now manage it. They offer salmon, Alaskan cod and prime rib. It is an all you care to eat buffet. In the past they offered halibut, but dropped the halibut at least two years ago. The salmon and prime rib are cooked over an alderwood fire, while the cod is battered. The salmon is lightly marinated, so if you are expecting it served with a sauce you will be disappointed (they do have tartar sauce). The sides are more of what one expect at a picnic (ie coleslaw and so forth). They have some indoor seating, but much of the seating is outdoors on picnic tables. The Salmon Bake is also a favorite stop of the motor coach tours so all of a sudden there will be tons of folks in the buffet lines.

Quite frankly, as a Fairbanksan I find the Salmon Bake over priced for what it offers. I checked their website, and while they don't have their 2014 prices posted their 2013 price was $32.95 for an adult meal. We have friends who are a little more charitable regarding these prices as they raised three athletic sons and so at times had at least one "bottomless pit" they were feeding as these kids hit adolescence. The Salmon Bake also is the only Alaskan restaurant that I know of that has to discount prices for locals; while we didn't go last year for many years the Salmon Bake would discount $4.00 off of a meal (up to four discounted meals) with an Alaska driver's license. The fact that they have had to offer discounts to locals says much.

Silver Gulch: This is the restaurant affiliated with the Silver Gulch micro-brewery. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but my husband feels that the Silver Gulch is very good, particularly the Pick-axe Porter. The restaurant is fairly casual, offering a range of meals from soups to steaks and poultry. Many of their sauces are made with their beers. While the food can be excellent they also can have "off" nights. Their service has been iffy, but I think it has improved greatly the last couple of years. The Silver Gulch is located in Fox, so would be convenient after a visit to Gold Dredge #8 or a trip to the Alaska Pipeline viewing station on the Steese Hwy.