C&A Gold -> Platinum ... does it make a big difference

lgates63

I currently am C&A Gold level (22 pts) with a 7-night cruise on JoS scheduled for April.

After that cruise I will be 1 point short of Platinum level.

We are planning on booking a Med cruise for July 2015. Should we find a way to squeeze a 3 or 4 day cruise in prior just to reach Platinum level?

Is there any benefit to doing this before we book the Med cruise?

Tips, hints, thoughts are all welcome!

Thanks!

I currently am C&A Gold level (22 pts) with a 7-night cruise on JoS scheduled for April.

We are planning on booking a Med cruise for July 2015. Should we find a way to squeeze a 3 or 4 day cruise in prior just to reach Platinum level?

Thanks!

Biggest benefit from Gold to Platinum is the balcony discount. However, you don't need to be Platinum before you book the 2015 cruise to take advantage of the discount. You just need to be Platinum a couple of weeks before you sail on the 2015 cruise.

Here's a list of the discounts:

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 50* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

* Subtract $25 if booking less than 6 mo in advance.

Edited by clarea

Biggest benefit from Gold to Platinum is the balcony discount. However, you don't need to be Platinum before you book the 2015 cruise to take advantage of the discount. You just need to be Platinum a couple of weeks before you sail on the 2015 cruise.

Very informative (per usual for Clarea). Also, if you do decide to take a short cruise, you can get on board credit for your next cruise (Med) if you book it while on the ship. You just need to put down a $100 deposit. Just a thought.

Enjoy your cruise!

Agree with all that has been said above. Plus, so excited for you - Jewel and then the Med! Fabulous! Now if you could do Jewel in the Med, that would be incredible. If there is a Radiance-class ship in the Med in July 2015, I hope you go for it. Nothing like sitting in the open air seating in the back of the Windjammer and watching those gorgeous Mediterranean sunsets! *swoon*

Can you get the Platinum Balcony Discount in addition to the C&A Savings Certificates?

Can you get the Platinum Balcony Discount in addition to the C&A Savings Certificates?

No, one or the other. Once you get to Diamond, the balcony discount is always a better deal than the savings certificate, but at Platinum I believe the savings certificate can be better.

Edited by clarea

No, one or the other. Once you get to Diamond, the balcony discount is always a better deal than the savings certificate, but at Platinum I believe the savings certificate can be better.

Thank you for your answer. I figured it would be one or the other, it just seemed strange to me that the platinum discount would be less than the savings certificates!

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't book a 3 or 4 day cruise just to get the 100.00 or 200.00 dollars off, b/c with what you spend on the 3/4 day cruise (which would be same am't or more than 200.00), you're not saving, Unless, I'm just missing something here:rolleyes:

Prior to my recent cruise I was at 29 points. I thought about doing a 3-4 day cruise prior to the 8 day cruise. However, it didn't make sense to me to spend around $1000.00 to save a possible $200.00 on the 8 day cruise.

AS Gold I received priority check-in and was invited to the welcome back party. Not sure what the Top Tier event is but doubt it's worth $1000.00

Thank you for your answer. I figured it would be one or the other, it just seemed strange to me that the platinum discount would be less than the savings certificates!

C&A balcony discounts exist on (almost?) every sailing, the certificates don't.

Prior to my recent cruise I was at 29 points. I thought about doing a 3-4 day cruise prior to the 8 day cruise. However, it didn't make sense to me to spend around $1000.00 to save a possible $200.00 on the 8 day cruise.

I look at it more as a rationalization to enjoy another cruise that wouldn't happen otherwise. That's worth something. :D

I look at it more as a rationalization to enjoy another cruise that wouldn't happen otherwise. That's worth something. :D

I agree that another cruise would be fine but I understood the OP was considering it just to get a couple of C&A points, not to take another cruise.

I'll be honest....my husband and I have been planning a quick getaway in July while our youngest is off at summer camp. Hadn't really thought about a cruise, but then started considering the 1 point deficiency.....

Since we are already planning to sneak away....

Any excuse to cruise....:)