Booking a one way flight

andnosyd

To europe. We are doing a transatlantic and just moved to MN. When our cruise arrives in Fort Lauderdale, I have a business meeting I need to go to so my company will pay for my flight back to MN. Is there a way to do this? It doesn't seem to let me do this on the HAL website, only a roundtrip or 2 legs as it is, since it's a transatlantic.

Thanks!

Thanks, Glenn. I should have said booking the flight to Barcelona via HAL as I have the flight from Fort Lauderdale taken care of. One way flights to Europe are pricey, but booking with the cruise line itself looks like it could be much less, if you can book one way through HAL.

Edited by andnosyd

To europe. We are doing a transatlantic and just moved to MN. When our cruise arrives in Fort Lauderdale, I have a business meeting I need to go to so my company will pay for my flight back to MN. Is there a way to do this? It doesn't seem to let me do this on the HAL website, only a roundtrip or 2 legs as it is, since it's a transatlantic.

Thanks!

HAL will only book round trip, or both legs of a flight to the cruise and back home. They don't do one ways. We've always had to book our one way flights ourselves.

HAL will only book round trip, or both legs of a flight to the cruise and back home. They don't do one ways.
Not true. Our TA booked us on a one-way to Barcelona with HAL air in Mar 2013 ... at a considerable savings over any one-way price I could find. This was just before the FlightEase program started, but I don't think that has changed anything.

OP - If you don't have a TA try calling HAL.

Edited by jtl513

HAL will only book round trip, or both legs of a flight to the cruise and back home. They don't do one ways. We've always had to book our one way flights ourselves.

We have booked one-way flights to Europe with HAL four times -- to Rome, to Copenhagen, to London and to Amsterdam. We were doing trans-Atlantic cruises. After the Rome T-A, we rented a car in Ft. Lauderdale, and after the others, we took trains from New York -- all post-cruise transportation arranged on our own, not through HAL. In each case, HAL was able to arrange one-way flights to Europe cheaper than we could on our own. It couldn't hurt to call HAL and ask; maybe they can do you a one-way as well.

Dave

Not true. Our TA booked us on a one-way to Barcelona with HAL air in Mar 2013 ... at a considerable savings over any one-way price I could find. This was just before the FlightEase program started, but I don't think that has changed anything.

OP - If you don't have a TA try calling HAL.

Well, it was true for us. We booked directly with HAL for our Boston-San Diego cruise. We only needed a flight from LA to Boston. Our cruise consultant at HAL said that HAL doesn't do one way flights. We booked the cruise in Aug 2013.

But, certainly call HAL and see what they have to say. I was under the impression OP had already attempted to do this with HAL and was confirming that they couldn't do it.

Well, it was true for us. We booked directly with HAL for our Boston-San Diego cruise. We only needed a flight from LA to Boston. Our cruise consultant at HAL said that HAL doesn't do one way flights. We booked the cruise in Aug 2013.
The new FlightEase must have changed it just after ours. Or maybe the fact that ours (and RetiredMustang's) was/were T-A, not domestic, makes a difference. Too bad - it was a good deal! :(

What happens if you cruise transcanal from Lauderdale then to San Diego?They will fly you back to Lauderdale.

If you cruise from Seattle to Seward.

They will from you back to Seattle.

If you fly to New York to Rome.

They cruise you back to New York.

Hundreds of cruises are one way cruises. Likewise HAL will you return on one day flights.

What happens if you cruise transcanal from Lauderdale then to San Diego?They will fly you back to Lauderdale.

If you cruise from Seattle to Seward.

They will from you back to Seattle.

If you fly to New York to Rome.

They cruise you back to New York.

Hundreds of cruises are one way cruises. Likewise HAL will you return on one day flights.

I'm only reporting our experience. When we booked the cruise, we were told HAL would fly us from LA to Boston with our "return" flight of San Diego to LA. They would not book just LA to Boston.

Edited by Shmoo here

We have done several Grand Cruise segments that start or end in the US and we usually book our own air using miles. One way air with miles (at least on American and United) is usually half the round trip air miles so it works well. We have found that the earlier we book the award air the better we do. Just this week I got us two non-stop one way business class tickets from Honk Kong to Chicago for the fall. We have also done one way air from home to US departure ports and from US arrival ports to home using miles when the one way fare seems out of line using cash.

If you have the miles it is a good option when the price tag gets too large with cash.

It may also be worth while to get on line and see what the one way air would cost if you booked on your own.

Edited by arzz

I'm only reporting our experience. When we booked the cruise, we were told HAL would fly us from LA to Boston with our "return" flight of San Diego to LA. They would not book just LA to Boston.

Try it this way.....

If you start in LA and you fly to Lauderdale and then through the Canal and then on to say..... Honolulu, Hong Kong, Singapore, London... they will still take you on a flight from the cruise back to LA. It is simple as that.

Try it this way.....

If you start in LA and you fly to Lauderdale and then through the Canal and then on to say..... Honolulu, Hong Kong, Singapore, London... they will still take you on a flight from the cruise back to LA. It is simple as that.

I get that. That's what I said. We could only book airfare LA/Boston and San Diego/LA if we wanted HAL to book airfare for us.

All I'm saying is when we booked our cruise, we were told that HAL doesn't do one way airflights as part of the booking. We only needed a one way flight (LA to Boston), as we didn't see the sense in flying from San Diego to Los Angeles when we live between those two cities. We took the train from San Diego to the station closest to our house.

We live in Minnesota and have done two transatlantic cruises on HAL. We did not use HAL to book our flights. The first time in 2011 we used a consolidator through our travel agent and flew Delta to Europe. We arrived in FLL and flew home on Air Tran. Air Tran is now owned by Southwest, but they offer one way fares at about ½ the cost of round trip. You will not find Southwest on Priceline or the major travel sites. You have to book Southwest direct. The second time in 2012 Delta offered reasonable one way tickets to Europe and from FLL (probably to compete with AirTran/Southwest) so we booked with Delta directly to Europe for both legs as two separate tickets.

Sometimes a one way ticket to Europe (or any other destination) is much more expensive than a round trip from the US to Europe and back. In that case, buy the round trip ticket but use only "the first half" to Europe, skip the return.

So if I booked with a travel agent, do I have to go through them or can I call HAL directly? Just seems more efficient if I went direct to HAL, but I know you have to go through your travel agent for most things when you book with them.

Thanks!

I was just looking at flights with HAL vs consolidator through my travel agent or booking myself. The one way prices for Transatlantic from Barcelona and to Fort Lauderdale were.

Hal-both flights 1250

Travel agent-1025

My own research-too expensive for one way return from Europe.

It certainly pays to shop around-sometimes I have found my own flights cheaper, sometimes the travel agent and I think sometimes people find HAL cheaper or easier.

So if I booked with a travel agent, do I have to go through them or can I call HAL directly? Just seems more efficient if I went direct to HAL, but I know you have to go through your travel agent for most things when you book with them.

Thanks!

I would love to know the answer to your question as well.

I would love to know the answer to your question as well.

If you book your cruise with a travel agent, the agent must contact HAL for you.

I would check Kayak dot com for one way airfares. If you are booking your own flight, I would fly in at least one day early--one to check out Barcelona and to have a plan if you have any problems on the flight over.