How well is Gateway selling?

jmele999

This is a brand new ship right? Why then do they feel that they have to practically give it away to get people to sail on her? Either the problems on the Breakaway have scared away too many potential passengers or there are even more issues with this boat. It just doesn't make sense to me. The deal sounds too good to be true, which usually means. That it is exactly that. I hope everyone has a wonderful time, but I'd be a little leery about the whole deal at this point. Something here smells....

This is a brand new ship right? Why then do they feel that they have to practically give it away to get people to sail on her? Either the problems on the Breakaway have scared away too many potential passengers or there are even more issues with this boat. It just doesn't make sense to me. The deal sounds too good to be true, which usually means. That it is exactly that. I hope everyone has a wonderful time, but I'd be a little leery about the whole deal at this point. Something here smells....

The word may be spreading that it is a good idea to let a ship and its crew have a good breaking in period before sailing on her. I learned this the hard way from going out on a second sailing of brand new ship. :( I wont do it again.

Normally, I would agree with you about deals that sound too good to be true, but I have dealt with the travel agency in question that's offering this deal. I have probably booked 10 or so cruises with them over the past decade (and friends and family have also booked through them). They are not a fly-by-night operation and also advertise on CC. As far as the Getaway, I will be very happy if my experience on the Getaway equals my experience on the Breakaway. I sailed on the Bway back in November and had a very nice cruise experience. As far as the deal, yes, it was a great deal but it's not like they were offering an unlimited number of bookings. It was limited to 50 per sailing for each of about a dozen sailing dates. And the promotion was only offered for 72 hours. I don't know anything specific about whether the promotion makes the TA any money. For all I know, it could be a loss-leader type of promotion that they feel is worthwhile in order to generate buzz for the company (which it did) and solidifies loyalty in their current customer base (which it also did).

Normally, I would agree with you about deals that sound too good to be true, but I have dealt with the travel agency in question that's offering this deal. I have probably booked 10 or so cruises with them over the past decade (and friends and family have also booked through them). They are not a fly-by-night operation and also advertise on CC. As far as the Getaway, I will be very happy if my experience on the Getaway equals my experience on the Breakaway. I sailed on the Bway back in November and had a very nice cruise experience. As far as the deal, yes, it was a great deal but it's not like they were offering an unlimited number of bookings. It was limited to 50 per sailing for each of about a dozen sailing dates. And the promotion was only offered for 72 hours. I don't know anything specific about whether the promotion makes the TA any money. For all I know, it could be a loss-leader type of promotion that they feel is worthwhile in order to generate buzz for the company (which it did) and solidifies loyalty in their current customer base (which it also did).

I total agree. I have booked many times (and family and friends also) with this company over the years and have never had a problem. They often offer so called "to-good-to-be-true" deals that we have booked and have worked out perfect.

Is this just for dates in the very near future? I'd love to see a promotion like this for my April 2015 booking!!:D

The promotion covered every sailing date from 2/8 - 4/26 (every Saturday departure) on the Getaway.

So now I wonder if I called my TA would they be able to get my existing 3/1 sailing upgraded to the current set of OBC/promotions? Because if not then I got royally screwed with my sailing, very very unfair. Also only problem is, my TA is not open today, and this deal ends tonight. I'm seriously growing more and more pissed off about this deal by the day...

Edited by joeski27

So now I wonder if I called my TA would they be able to get my existing 3/1 sailing upgraded to the current set of OBC/promotions? Because if not then I got royally screwed with my sailing, very very unfair. Also only problem is, my TA is not open today, and this deal ends tonight. I'm seriously growing more and more pissed off about this deal by the day...

Your getting po'd about possibly missing out on this deal won't get much sympathy (at least here on CC). This is SOP for all cruise lines - after final payment date, if the ship needs filling, the CL will do whatever it takes to fill the ship, including offering great incentives. These deals, of course, are usually offered only to new bookings. That's the way it goes. You, of course, booked when you wanted to, got what you wanted (in terms of sailing date, ship, cabin category, and perhaps specific cabin), at a price that you were happy with. By doing that, you guaranteed yourself what you wanted. Those of us who waited could easily have been locked out if the ship sold out. Or we may have been offered the leftovers in terms in cabin categories (i.e., insides only) or less desirable specific cabins.

You can still try calling your TA. The worst that can happen is you get a no.

Edited by johnql

Your getting po'd about possibly missing out on this deal won't get much sympathy (at least here on CC). This is SOP for all cruise lines - after final payment date, if the ship needs filling, the CL will do whatever it takes to fill the ship, including offering great incentives. These deals, of course, are usually offered only to new bookings. That's the way it goes. You, of course, booked when you wanted to, got what you wanted (in terms of sailing date, ship, cabin category, and perhaps specific cabin), at a price that you were happy with. By doing that, you guaranteed yourself what you wanted. Those of us who waited could easily have been locked out if the ship sold out. Or we may have been offered the leftovers in terms in cabin categories (i.e., insides only) or less desirable specific cabins.

Yeah well sympathy or not, still pissed. Just got off the phone with my TA, gave them a bit of an earful to let them know my level of displeasure. Again I don't have an issue with the price of the sailing going down, as I know that occurs closer to the sailing date and I would never try to get $$$ back from that. But I in now way, shape or form consider rate decreases and promotional increases to be the same thing, now way in hell, and that's my real argument here.

I guess my only recourse in the future would be to buy some top notch cruise insurance early on, and if such a better deal comes along, book the new one with the better deal and find some way of finagling the insurance to cancel the original one. Such a friggin shame that it has to come to this, but what can you do when the cruise industry chooses to be SOB's about their SOP's.

Edited by joeski27

Yeah well sympathy or not, still pissed. Just got off the phone with my TA, gave them a bit of an earful to let them know my level of displeasure. Again I don't have an issue with the price of the sailing going down, as I know that occurs closer to the sailing date and I would never try to get $$$ back from that. But I in now way, shape or form consider rate decreases and promotional increases to be the same thing, now way in hell, and that's my real argument here.

I guess my only recourse in the future would be to buy some top notch cruise insurance early on, and if such a better deal comes along, book the new one with the better deal and find some way of finagling the insurance to cancel the original one. Such a friggin shame that it has to come to this, but what can you do when the cruise industry chooses to be SOB's about their SOP's.

Joeski27, as you may recall you and I are in the same boat (pun intended) as far as paying way more for our bookings. I'm wondering what exactly did you TA tell you when you called? I'm taking it they won't offer you anything extra. I'm thinking of trying myself or even calling NCL directly but don't want to waste my time.

I have to agree with you Johnql. You win some and you lose some. When we booked for the Getaway last year, we got the time,price,room location that we wanted. Now after final payment, new customers are getting better deals booking elsewhere, where we booked through NCL. A few years ago we didn't book directly through Carnival and lost out on some deals, so you just never know. It's the same as the cable company. The new guy always gets a better deal. Regardless we'll still be on a great vacation.

On a side note I did call NCL and our rep was surprised at all the incentives from other places and said there was no way he could match that or really offer anything at all.

1. Does each of these CLs advertised by the TA 'give them something that they aren't giving everyone else? If so, why? Including the actual CL PCCs?

2. If each of the CLs aren't not 'giving anything special to one TA, how does that TA "COVER" the credits on staterooms (especially those under $1K)? What is a typical TA % 'take on a stateroom?

1. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the cruise line and the TA's parent company. It's all designed to fill the ship. Some TA's may historically fill cabins in X month, versus others who fill them in Y. Also, some parent companies "buy" staterooms far in advance, and must dump the inventory before sailing.

2. Again, it depends. Sometimes the credits come because of an agreement negotiated a year in advance, and sometimes the TA is cashing in some of his/her commission. As for how much commission, again - it depends on Cruise Line and parent company.

Does that make any sense?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

I'm with you joeski27 -- I booked back in Nov. and thought I was getting a good deal with cabin upgrade and $200 OBC. But booked two balcony cabins and price I paid $200 more per person!!:eek::eek:

Plus, I don['t get the TA offer says taxes/fees $115 more but we paid $300 more in taxes and fees.

Does anyone think if I called NCL they'd offer me anything?? Anything at all?? If I say Pretty please?

Just like you I booked in November and paid my final payment January 13. On January 15, All the major cruise websites broke with this promotion. I called NCL and was offered an upgrade to a mini-suite for $40 per person. Big Whopopie! Do not waste your time calling NCL. I did write a letter to the CEO of NCL since one of the promotions was entitled "NCL Customer Appreciation Sale." I do not feel very appreciated right now. But what can you do. Obviously this shows very poor bookings for the early Getaway cruises!

Just like you I booked in November and paid my final payment January 13. On January 15, All the major cruise websites broke with this promotion. I called NCL and was offered an upgrade to a mini-suite for $40 per person. Big Whopopie! Do not waste your time calling NCL. I did write a letter to the CEO of NCL since one of the promotions was entitled "NCL Customer Appreciation Sale." I do not feel very appreciated right now. But what can you do. Obviously this shows very poor bookings for the early Getaway cruises!

Wow -- and not in a good way. They should have given you a free upgrade...I think it's not much more than $40 to upgrade anyway. Yes, bookings must be poor. We sailed RC Allure within the first couple months of her launching and had to take an inside cabin because nothing else (within reason moneywise) was available.

My TA is going to call NCL, but I'm not too hopeful. I t's our first NCL cruise, and I will NEVER book early with them again...if at all. Feeling screwed after you've spent a small fortune is not a good feeling.

Wow -- and not in a good way. They should have given you a free upgrade...I think it's not much more than $40 to upgrade anyway. Yes, bookings must be poor. We sailed RC Allure within the first couple months of her launching and had to take an inside cabin because nothing else (within reason moneywise) was available.

My TA is going to call NCL, but I'm not too hopeful. I t's our first NCL cruise, and I will NEVER book early with them again...if at all. Feeling screwed after you've spent a small fortune is not a good feeling.

It is unfortunate.

This was the first time we booked early. And, we booked with a NCL PCC who was 'fantastic. We did get various perks. I took screenshots of the TA deal and asked 'how come you can't match it? I had already learned that the best price guarantee is for the stateroom; this TA promotion was based on OBCs, not the stateroom cost.

So, we learned.

Since we were 90+ days out, we cancelled.

It was not about the $600 or so, it was about the principle. I learned that NCL, and other CLs, were in on this TA promotion. So we are in a situation where booking early is no longer advisable. This promotion, a nice one, is to fill staterooms because, as I was told, "passengers are booking later and later."

Really Sherlock? This TA promotion will 'make more people who currently book early, book later.

Oh well. We'll be on Getaway this year some time. Likely do a repeat of Breakaway to Bermuda as we have adventure there to complete.

Still like NCL, C, RC and D; but our first advance booking will be our last. Again, not about the $ as our stateroom will spend that in a couple of specialty nights, about the concept and the principle of how customers are treated in the reservation timing and pricing process.

As we like to explore new ships and CLs, late bookings, we're now looking at giving Princess our first try on the Royal Princess. New mega ship, low customer ratings...perfect. And we'll be doing it 'late. :)

I had a hold for a Studio yesterday and they were offering $100 OBC. I missed logging on by an hour (which was totally my fault and negligence) and today it was back to $12.50.

I called them- made no excuses and they couldn't offer me the $100 which is fine, and what I expect based on their customer service- by the book. Hey, I understand its a business.

Then again, when you go to Kohl's and want to use your Kohl's cash a day early- no problem.

I find anyway as mentioned that there is not really any advantage (within reason, based on season) of booking early.

Even Getaway Balconies seem priced a lot less than Breakaway ones.

I figure perhaps I should just go ahead at some point and book the studio almost as a "indirect" deposit to a balcony later.

I'm with you folks about not booking early. As more and more ships come online I think they will find them harder to fill. I have been studying two ships sailing out of NYC (Breakaway, Gem) and in most cases there are significant price drops somewhere around 4 to 6 weeks from sailing. For some people that might be hard to do within that short of a timeframe...but if you can then you can probably save some serious cash. Might not get exactly the cabin location you might want but if you can get it at close to 1/2 the price of booking ahead..who cares! ;)

The risk is that waiting too long and they will sell out for the most part.

I'm with you folks about not booking early. As more and more ships come online I think they will find them harder to fill. I have been studying two ships sailing out of NYC (Breakaway, Gem) and in most cases there are significant price drops somewhere around 4 to 6 weeks from sailing. For some people that might be hard to do within that short of a timeframe...but if you can then you can probably save some serious cash. Might not get exactly the cabin location you might want but if you can get it at close to 1/2 the price of booking ahead..who cares! ;)

The risk is that waiting too long and they will sell out for the most part.

I am thinking I might just do the Breakaway again and go for a last minute deal like last year and reserve the time off ahead of time.

If I end up doing the Getaway I might just book around the same time I have to make a flight reservation.

I am thinking I might just do the Breakaway again and go for a last minute deal like last year and reserve the time off ahead of time.

If I end up doing the Getaway I might just book around the same time I have to make a flight reservation.

That sounds like a plan Howard!

Needing to Fly is the wild card...it makes waiting too long riskier as far as being able to get both the timeframe of the flight and the cruise (and availabilities of both) go together.

I'd really like to do the Getaway some time but going out of NYC is just so much easier.

Breakaway sure was fun though wasn't it ?!?!

It is unfortunate.

This was the first time we booked early. And, we booked with a NCL PCC who was 'fantastic. We did get various perks. I took screenshots of the TA deal and asked 'how come you can't match it? I had already learned that the best price guarantee is for the stateroom; this TA promotion was based on OBCs, not the stateroom cost.

So, we learned.

Since we were 90+ days out, we cancelled.

It was not about the $600 or so, it was about the principle. I learned that NCL, and other CLs, were in on this TA promotion. So we are in a situation where booking early is no longer advisable. This promotion, a nice one, is to fill staterooms because, as I was told, "passengers are booking later and later."

Really Sherlock? This TA promotion will 'make more people who currently book early, book later.

Oh well. We'll be on Getaway this year some time. Likely do a repeat of Breakaway to Bermuda as we have adventure there to complete.

Still like NCL, C, RC and D; but our first advance booking will be our last. Again, not about the $ as our stateroom will spend that in a couple of specialty nights, about the concept and the principle of how customers are treated in the reservation timing and pricing process.

As we like to explore new ships and CLs, late bookings, we're now looking at giving Princess our first try on the Royal Princess. New mega ship, low customer ratings...perfect. And we'll be doing it 'late. :)

I could not have said it better myself. It's the last time I will do this. And of course NCL is in on the deal. I just feel like it's not fair to penalize those who booked early to such a degree. I realize that matching the cabin price won't happen, but why not offer pre-paid gratuities or throw me an OBC?

A small gesture would go a loooong way toward happy customers. After all, you can re-book hotels at lower rates. We are frequent Disney travelers and have been told if the rates come down on packages for Disneyworld they will be matched.

And again, not asking for that. Just throw me a bone, NCL. And, btw, good for you cancelling. I would have done same, but our cruise was paid in full already.

So....had my TA call NCL to ask if they could do something since I was unhappy about all the perks they are now offering, not to mention much lower cabin prices. Here's his reply:

"The Travelzoo rate is for a BX, balcony guarantee, NCL says since you are in a category BD and have been assigned a cabin they won't do anything."

Well, gee NCL, if I could have got that rate and all those perks on a BX don't you think I would've taken that instead? So in other words "you've already paid so we don't give a crap if you like it or not."

Can't believe they were too cheap to even offer a small OBC...not cool NCL. Lots of cruise lines out there you know.

So....had my TA call NCL to ask if they could do something since I was unhappy about all the perks they are now offering, not to mention much lower cabin prices. Here's his reply:

"The Travelzoo rate is for a BX, balcony guarantee, NCL says since you are in a category BD and have been assigned a cabin they won't do anything."

Well, gee NCL, if I could have got that rate and all those perks on a BX don't you think I would've taken that instead? So in other words "you've already paid so we don't give a crap if you like it or not."

Can't believe they were too cheap to even offer a small OBC...not cool NCL. Lots of cruise lines out there you know.

That's ridiculous- they never seem to bend at all. I am almost wondering if it would be a good idea to request a manager/supervisor or to call corporate.

Their argument is also absurd because the BX guarantees at least one of the 4 balconies which means that the BX could actually be better than the BD. They rank BA,BB,BC and even B6 higher than the BD.

With all of the people booking BX's only 4 of them will have the BX ones which I think are at the front and back on deck 8 and if I am correct possibly obstructed.

When I upgraded last year it I paid $40 more for a BD guarantee and ended up with a BB- it was worth the assurance not to have one of the BX designated ones.

It is very possible the BX ones could be BDs.

That sounds like a plan Howard!

Needing to Fly is the wild card...it makes waiting too long riskier as far as being able to get both the timeframe of the flight and the cruise (and availabilities of both) go together.

I'd really like to do the Getaway some time but going out of NYC is just so much easier.

Breakaway sure was fun though wasn't it ?!?!

That was a great week! I plan on doing that same week again sometime

Cabin dumping has been done in EU/UK for some time(not just NCL) probably US as well.

Deals appear through one or two TA that are very good and not available everywhere, sometime it is all TAs but not the cruise line own site(to avoid them showing up in the price tracking sites).

I also noted last year that Celebrity also used GTY rates to offload stock on some trips, they were even lower than the GTY senior rates some of those rates were very good and even though they don't carry the 123 perks paying for those separately you still saved money.

The main price tracking site seems to miss a lot of these deals.

Some time you might as well book the flight if they are cheap enough, give yourself a day or two each side and widen the cruise choices.