Princess excursions -- HAL excursions: cost?

DRS/NC

I'm considering my 1st HAL cruise (on Prinsendam). How do the HAL shore excursions compare to Princess price-wise? I can 'explore' them on the HAL site, but can't get the prices w/o booking.

Thanks

They are very similar in price and content. I think you have to be booked on a cruise and sign in to your account to see the availability and cost for the excursions on your sailing.

The biggest difference is that on HAL if you book your excursion prior to your cruise, you pay for it on your credit card at that time. Princess, you reserve the excursion but the charge goes on your onboard account. Both ways have their pros and cons.

Edited by Daisyloo

The biggest difference is that on HAL if you book your excursion prior to your cruise, you pay for it on your credit card at that time. Princess, you reserve the excursion but the charge goes on your onboard account. Both ways have their pros and cons.
Another big difference with HAL shore excursions is that once onboard, it's far more difficult to cancel an excursion. They don't refund unless the ship misses the port or there's a medical reason. You can cancel and book another tour in the same port. Princess is far more flexible and "forgiving."

If you join your Roll Call Board for your cruise you may find groups of people that have organized Private Excursions that do the same thing or some better than what Princess has at a greatly reduced price and the groups are smaller (read that as 8-12 instead of a Heard of 45). YMMV.

Not sure what the cons are with not having to pay in advance.

I know some people like to not have a big bill at the end of a cruise, but if that is the case, one can "gift" oneself onboard credit equal to the cost of the desired excursions, effectively paying in advance.

What cons do you see with the Princess method?

Not sure what the cons are with not having to pay in advance.

I know some people like to not have a big bill at the end of a cruise, but if that is the case, one can "gift" oneself onboard credit equal to the cost of the desired excursions, effectively paying in advance.

What cons do you see with the Princess method?

With HAL we would buy one excursion at a time, maybe one a month or so to spread out the costs. It just made it easier to budget. With the Princess excursions there is a big bill at the end of the cruise. Not a big deal, just different and for some people not as desirable. The end result is the same, just different ways of getting there.