Anyone else find a balcony not worth the price difference?

PA Beachlovers

I cruised for years in an inside cabin and then made the leap to a balcony cabin and I can't imagine going back. Sometimes I wish I never did try one because I always enjoyed cruising even without a balcony. I think it depends on the person, I like having some private space to enjoy the views, watch the sunrise, sunset etc. If you are someone who likes to be in the center of things you may not use it enough to justify the extra cost.

On my last cruise I booked an inside room and the upgrade fairy called me with an upgrade from inside to balcony that I couldn't refuse. Big mistake!! Now I want balcony rooms every cruise!!

Just booked a Christmas cruise on the Breeze and can't justify spending the BIG difference in price on it. BOOOO!

We've done all 3; int/OV/Balcony. I agree with others here, up on deck is the place to be. But when you are in your cabin there is nothing better than opening the door from your room for the sound of the waves and a dose of outside air!!

Doing a wrap aft balcony next week on the Dream. Can't wait!!

Then again, it's a cruise is there a bad room?? ;) To each his own!!

We were on the Breeze in October and had our first balcony, we chose the "large" balcony toward the back of the ship next to the aft wrap. We found that we used it very little and spending the extra money to have a balcony was not worth it. On sea days we had breakfast delivered to our room and ate on the balcony, besides that we spend little time in our cabin, we would rather be up on deck with people and see what is going on. If we do return to our cabin its usually to take a nap before dinner and find the bed more comfortable than sleeping in a chair, our balcony did have a lounge chair on it but again not as comfortable. Many people said, once you have a balcony you will never want anything else. Wonder how many others feel the same way?

Not me lol we LOVE LOVE LOVE our balcony!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

We've been on four cruises so far and had a balcony from our very first. We eat breakfast out there, drink our coffee out there, drink a glass of wine in the evening on it, stargaze before going to bed, nap in the sun in the afternoon... we use it a LOT. I don't think I could go without one! Our fifth cruise is next month and we've got an aft on the Breeze booked :D

Given the high cost of cruise vacations (cross continent flights, pre- and post-hotels, transfers, cruise fare, on-board charges, port/excursion costs, transit meals), the nominal difference between an OV and a balcony is immaterial -- maybe around 10% of the total cost. As a result, I will always get a balcony if I have the option because the "big picture" hit to the bank account is the same either way.

The only cruises where we didn't have a balcony were our first (the Carnivale didn't have balcony cabins), a Greek Isles cruise on a similar size ship that also didn't have balconies, and our last cruise (3 days on the Inspiration). For the shorter cruise, we knew there would be less down-time where we were just hanging out in our cabin and because it was a short-hop to LAX and we flew in and flew out on the days of, the cost of upgrading to the balcony (and I think they only had suites available) was quite significant as a percentage of the total trip cost.

My favourite time on the balcony is the early evening, usually after the day's activities are over and before dinner when I can just sit out and relax. But there are other times when you have, say half an hour to kill and it just isn't worth it to climb up on deck and find a chair and get comfortable. With a balcony you can just sit out for half an hour in the morning, or in the afternoon, or sometimes mid-day. Depending on the location, a balcony can provide shade, but open air on a particularly hot day.

As an aside, we find it very convenient to have cabins with adjoining balconies (ours and our kids). Instead of going back and forth in the hall and either leaving the door propped open or taking your card each time, we can just go through the balcony and leave the door unlocked.

I cruised for years in an inside cabin and then made the leap to a balcony cabin and I can't imagine going back. Sometimes I wish I never did try one because I always enjoyed cruising even without a balcony. I think it depends on the person, I like having some private space to enjoy the views, watch the sunrise, sunset etc. If you are someone who likes to be in the center of things you may not use it enough to justify the extra cost.

Well, you know what they say, "Once you go balcony, you can never go back." :)

Edited by john91498

Obviously this a personal preference, it does seem to make sense if the price is only a marginal part of your vacation budget then it is worth it for you. For folks that live close to a port and cruising is a cheaper vacation than staying at a Days Inn, it doubles our cost. I see many of the advantages. It would be lovely to watch us pull in and out port from our room. Honestly, I get my best sleep on a cruise, the inside cabin is so dark and the gentle vibration of the ship. It is in my future but it is not a deal breaker for me.

We were on the Breeze in October and had our first balcony, we chose the "large" balcony toward the back of the ship next to the aft wrap. We found that we used it very little and spending the extra money to have a balcony was not worth it. On sea days we had breakfast delivered to our room and ate on the balcony, besides that we spend little time in our cabin, we would rather be up on deck with people and see what is going on. If we do return to our cabin its usually to take a nap before dinner and find the bed more comfortable than sleeping in a chair, our balcony did have a lounge chair on it but again not as comfortable. Many people said, once you have a balcony you will never want anything else. Wonder how many others feel the same way?

We have never had a balcony and never plan to have one. We're never in the cabin and don't want to feel we "have to use" the balcony to get our money's worth.

Ive read alot of people saying balconys are a must. This my first cruise with a balcony and got a cove balcony. Im worried im goinf to regret it. Ive lost two family members to lung cancer. Its a sensitive subject I dont mind occasionally a whif of smoke..but im nervous every time I go on balcony im going to suffocate from smell and cuase a scene. (By scene I mean put my portable speakers next to balcony devider and blast opera music at 4am and put on my 300$ noise cancelling headphones..) of course I would ask politely before resorting to gorrila tactics

Well aren't you the possible neighbor pest. Really opera at 4am because someone dared to legally smoke for what 10 or 15 minutes. And no i am not a smoker.

We were told (and read) "you'll never go back once you get one". Not true in our case. We around for a balcony last time and rarely used it. Too many smokers around us...and our neighbours spent most of their time coughing up a lung (I literally watched them spitting stuff into a napkin/tissue) next to us. Oh, and did I mentioned she was usually topless? And not the kind of topless you want to see. The reflection in the glass 'railing' was enough to send me back inside. Not worth it for us.

While we seldom use our balcony, we like knowing it's there in case we want to walk directly outside from our cabin.

Once, DH had Noro on a cruise. I would have had big time cabin fever had I not been able to get outside on our balcony while staying with him. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

I've never had an inside cabin and I would never even consider one. Personally, I wouldn't cruise without a balcony and I'm particular about where on the ship it is lol. I prefer the wraparounds, but will take an aft if I can't have the wraparound. I love sitting out there and relaxing and I don't want to have to go up on deck with the crowds and find a spot to see us leave or come into port.

we had OV the first two cruises and they were great on the 2nd cruise the DW got NERO on the 2nd day of a 7 day cruise she was stuck in cabin all week so after that we decided to go balcony and they are great too we have coffee every morning and some cocktails in the evening and sometimes its nice to get away from the crowds and its nice to have the fresh air when you want it. but no matter what room you get your on a cruise so a good time will be had:D

Given the high cost of cruise vacations (cross continent flights, pre- and post-hotels, transfers, cruise fare, on-board charges, port/excursion costs, transit meals), the nominal difference between an OV and a balcony is immaterial -- maybe around 10% of the total cost. As a result, I will always get a balcony if I have the option because the "big picture" hit to the bank account is the same either way.

Good point! And also illustrates how different people are going to place different values on things (and reasonably so). I would consider 10% to be way above nominal for me. However, others, like yourself, don't. But I am sure there are things I do that others would balk at personally. I think your made a good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another poster mentioned that they are glad they didn't have a balcony for the Alaskan because of the cold but that's what I loved about it! I could duck out see some stuff, duck back in. And I like the every changing scenery while cruising that the Caribbean doesn't always offer. The only non North American cruises I have done are river cruises which are a different beast altogether so I am not sure what I would do on a European.

I do love reading about why others choose balconies and why others do not. Gives me things to consider as we plan future trips!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...
While we seldom use our balcony, we like knowing it's there in case we want to walk directly outside from our cabin.

Once, DH had Noro on a cruise. I would have had big time cabin fever had I not been able to get outside on our balcony while staying with him. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Being sick with Noro on our last cruise in an Inside room made me change my mind about having a balcony from now on (if it is affordable). I was the one with Noro and my poor hubby tried to stick it out with me, but I felt so sorry for him stuck in that cabin, that I would make him leave...but he said that wasn't fun without me. We said if we would have had the balcony, at least both of us could have went out and sat for the fresh air. I tried 3 times to find a secluded spot on the back of the Lido deck to just sit and get some air and sunshine, but each time, it took everything I had to just get up and go....so our next cruises are in balconies....just in case...LOL

Being sick with Noro on our last cruise in an Inside room made me change my mind about having a balcony from now on (if it is affordable). I was the one with Noro and my poor hubby tried to stick it out with me, but I felt so sorry for him stuck in that cabin, that I would make him leave...but he said that wasn't fun without me. We said if we would have had the balcony, at least both of us could have went out and sat for the fresh air. I tried 3 times to find a secluded spot on the back of the Lido deck to just sit and get some air and sunshine, but each time, it took everything I had to just get up and go....so our next cruises are in balconies....just in case...LOL

YOU LEFT YOUR ROOM WITH NORO?! :confused::eek::mad: