Current State of the Summit

~Jewels

Hi to all, and thanks so much for providing a valuable information resource to folks like us. We will be sailing on the Summit in March and have growing concerns about the condition of the ship, particularly the C1 and FV aft cabins. We have been finding adverse feedback on the condition of the furnishings and bathrooms of these cabins, particularly the bathroom/shower. Has Celebrity done anything recently to improve the conditions of the cabins (furnishings, shower tile, rust on the balcony, worn railing, etc.)?

Also finding mixed feedback on C1 versus FV. We have two adults and one teenager. We have the option of 8166 or 7208. We have sailed in the Sky Suites on M-Class within the past year and the condition of those cabins was excellent. However, the most recent pictures we have seen of the sofas and showers of the C1 and FV cabins on the aft of all M-Class ships appear to be dreadful. Any feedback from those with recent experience on the Summit would be greatly appreciated. If we would be better off in a Sky Suite or CC1 on the Penthouse deck, please let us know. Thanks.

Hiya ~Jewels. Since we appear to be neighbors, I will share what I know about Millie (have not been on Summit recently). We recently sailed in 7202 on Millie and it was in okay, but not great shape. The sofa furnishings in the FVs appear to be different among the M Class ships. They are beige leather on Millie instead of cloth and tend to hold up to wear and tear a bit better. The tile in the shower definitely showed its age. You will not find the type of black stains in the grout in any 3-star hotel in the U.S., but you find it aboard "Modern Luxury". From the pictures and reviews I have seen lately, Celebrity does not appear to be keeping the coveted and expensive cabins on the aft of M Class ships in as good of shape as other cabins on the ship. That has been our experience too. They are showing their age, unlike the Sky Suites and non-aft CC cabins. We no longer find there to be value in booking the M Class Aft cabins due to the significant price difference between those and C2s and C3s. S2s and S1s seem to provide greater value nowadays, but the floor plans are not as ideal as the FV cabins for families of three or more. I hope you get some helpful feedback from folks that are familiar with Summit's current condition.

Hi to all, and thanks so much for providing a valuable information resource to folks like us. We will be sailing on the Summit in March and have growing concerns about the condition of the ship, particularly the C1 and FV aft cabins. We have been finding adverse feedback on the condition of the furnishings and bathrooms of these cabins, particularly the bathroom/shower. Has Celebrity done anything recently to improve the conditions of the cabins (furnishings, shower tile, rust on the balcony, worn railing, etc.)?

Also finding mixed feedback on C1 versus FV. We have two adults and one teenager. We have the option of 8166 or 7208. We have sailed in the Sky Suites on M-Class within the past year and the condition of those cabins was excellent. However, the most recent pictures we have seen of the sofas and showers of the C1 and FV cabins on the aft of all M-Class ships appear to be dreadful. Any feedback from those with recent experience on the Summit would be greatly appreciated. If we would be better off in a Sky Suite or CC1 on the Penthouse deck, please let us know. Thanks.

We were in 7208 on the Summit in August for our cruise to Bermuda. I had no issues with the condition of the stateroom. The carpet, sofa, and other furnishings were just fine . I saw no signs of mold or other discoloration in the shower. The extra balcony space was incredible, however, the full size table on the balcony had stains on it (no big deal), and the railings were in need of staining. Those things were no issue to me. Because of the balcony, I would chose this stateroom over traditional balcony staterooms. I have no experience with the FV. I can tell you the cabin itself is standard size, and I just can't imagine having more than 2 people in them.... But that's just me. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a third person!

We were on The Summit just a month ago. I personally don't think it's in great shape and I indicated my feelings to Celebrity on the comment card.

We had quite a bit of rust at the bottom of our shower as did a few other people we spoke to. The shower curtains need to be replaced with doors. I can't stand the cheap curtains that attack you when your in the shower. The furniture is worn out and scratched considerably in areas and I really feel the solarium needs an overhaul. We found rusty drips on the wall and just in general it's not a very attractive solarium compared to the S class ships. Get rid of that god awful statue for starters!

Other then that she's a clean ship and by far the best service and crew we've ever had. In fact We just booked her again for next Jan. You will have a great cruise on The Summit just don't let these few areas bother you. It's not a new ship so you have to expect some wear and tear however I think there are some areas that could easily be spruced up without going into drydock or major refurb.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks so much for the feedback, it is very helpful. Our expectations of the ship and service are high, our reservations concern the condition of the cabins. Decisions.... decisions. The layout of the FV, particularly the corner FV is ideal. We would like to think that if 7208 is in good shape as reported (thank you so much), that the other aft cabins would be too. From what we have read, it appears the FVs take more of a beating than the C1s due to the number of occupants on average and the number of children, etc.

Hopefully fate will be on our side with whichever choice we make:)

Corner FVs are to die for IMHO. The older ships are going to show some wear and tear, no matter how much maintenance work is done on them. I have yet to be on an M class ship (in the past 5-7 years) that was in as good a shape as the newer S class ships. They really can't replace the curtains due to the design/size of the bathrooms. The ventilation in the bathrooms is just not as good as on S class ships so there will occasionally be stained grout no matter what they do. The FV cabins do get a lot of kids staying in them, so there is more wear and tear on the furniture. I am not saying this to be snarky, but if you are really very picky about the ship being in excellent shape, then I doubt any of the M class ships would be up to your standards. If you can accept a bit of wear and tear here and there, including in the bathrooms, then a corner FV is a wonderful room (other FVs are nice as well, but corners have a HUGE balcony). I love M class, but none of them can ever be new again so some flaws are inevitable. Kinda like me - I can dye my hair, fix my face, wear nice clothes, stay in shape (almost) but at the end of the day I can never look 30 years old again:)

Corner FVs are to die for IMHO. The older ships are going to show some wear and tear, no matter how much maintenance work is done on them. I have yet to be on an M class ship (in the past 5-7 years) that was in as good a shape as the newer S class ships. They really can't replace the curtains due to the design/size of the bathrooms. The ventilation in the bathrooms is just not as good as on S class ships so there will occasionally be stained grout no matter what they do. The FV cabins do get a lot of kids staying in them, so there is more wear and tear on the furniture. I am not saying this to be snarky, but if you are really very picky about the ship being in excellent shape, then I doubt any of the M class ships would be up to your standards. If you can accept a bit of wear and tear here and there, including in the bathrooms, then a corner FV is a wonderful room (other FVs are nice as well, but corners have a HUGE balcony). I love M class, but none of them can ever be new again so some flaws are inevitable. Kinda like me - I can dye my hair, fix my face, wear nice clothes, stay in shape (almost) but at the end of the day I can never look 30 years old again:)

Very well and respectfully stated Phoenix :)

Phoenix, great analogy and wonderful input. Granted the ship is 13 years old, and we still enjoy the M-Class Ships, we simply want to be sure to balance our expectations going in. Your input helps build the proper frame of mind. Even if the furnishing are nicer in a SS or CC1 on deck 6, the space and view from a corner FV likely outweighs the potential cons.

Thanks again to everyone. CruiseCritic has proven to be a valuable resource to us. Bless you.

The layout of the FV, particularly the corner FV is ideal.

My spouse and I recently sailed in corner FV 8166 on the Infinity. You mentioned in your first post that you will have two adults and one teenager. I'm not sure what you mean by "ideal" layout, so I wanted to be sure you are aware that not only is there just one bathroom in the FVs, but that the person sleeping in the sitting room has to walk thru the main bedroom to get to the bathroom. (And the veranda is accessed from the sitting room.) I don't know whether any of that poses any problems for you, but I wanted to flag the layout.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

Thanks so much for the feedback, it is very helpful. Our expectations of the ship and service are high, our reservations concern the condition of the cabins. Decisions.... decisions. The layout of the FV, particularly the corner FV is ideal. We would like to think that if 7208 is in good shape as reported (thank you so much), that the other aft cabins would be too. From what we have read, it appears the FVs take more of a beating than the C1s due to the number of occupants on average and the number of children, etc.

Hopefully fate will be on our side with whichever choice we make:)

We were on the Summit in October for B2B cruises. Here is my youtube video of our first week.

There are many shots of the ship and you can judge for yourself the ship's condition. Because we were traveling with family and friends, we had bought OV cabins for everyone( I am not Bill GATES!), so I can not tell you about the condition of the particular staterooms you mentioned. In my opinion, the ship is in fine shape and we had a spectacular time on her, so much so that we are doing the same B2B cruise in October 2014. I am sure you will have a wonderful time as well.

Edited by existentialtraveler

We were recently in a veranda on 8th floor and the carpet, bedding, drapes and furniture were in excellent condition. The only thing amiss was that a number of bathroom tiles were cracked and there were several loose tiles on the shower floor. Public areas looked great.

Just returned from the Summit and already booked for next Jan! The ship is in excellent condition...we were in a Royal Suite and everything was in order. If you are looking for flaws as some people indicate, I'm sure you could find fault with something but the crew is friendly and outgoing, the food in Normandie every night was outstanding and the itinerary is one of he best to be had. Enjoy!!!:)::)

We were on the Summit in October for B2B cruises. Here is my youtube video of our first week.

There are many shots of the ship and you can judge for yourself the ship's condition. Because we were traveling with family and friends, we had bought OV cabins for everyone( I am not Bill GATES!), so I can not tell you about the condition of the particular staterooms you mentioned. In my opinion, the ship is in fine shape and we had a spectacular time on her, so much so that we are doing the same B2B cruise in October 2014. I am sure you will have a wonderful time as well.

Love the video! It made me even more excited to sail her in June!

It is so fun to see the videos. Every time I do a cruise I put the pictures to music too! I love watching our adventures again. Thanks for sharing yours.

I've sailed all the M-class ships and love them all. Summit was probably my least favorite for some reason but I still had a great time on her.

There is wear and tear on the ships and the bathrooms on M-class ship are dated.

As to the OP- I personally would do an inside and a balcony with a teenager. Your teen will enjoy having their own room across the hall from you better than sharing tight quarters. I did have the Family cabin on one cruise and it would be better to have two bathrooms and privacy than to share a cabin for 3 when kids can pop-in at inopportune times if you know what I mean. It will be way too much togetherness and picking up for three people- which drives Mom crazy. Take it from me- wet swimsuits everywhere!

Teens love to sleep and will enjoy the dark inside cabin. They'll have their own tv and bathroom. Save money and go this route. I've sailed 5 times in insides so it isn't bad at all and a teen will appreciate their own space.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

It is so fun to see the videos. Every time I do a cruise I put the pictures to music too! I love watching our adventures again. Thanks for sharing yours.

I agree. I just wish we had started documenting our lives a little earlier. Right now we are buried in snow from last night's blizzard with sub zero temps. We are planning to spend the day in front of a fire watching videos from past cruises. Eurodam on Feb.2!

While I concur that hulls, decks and other parts of a vessel's structure age like a human being, I cannot give "X" or any other line a pass when it comes to public areas or stateroom trappings.

Scuzzy tile grout does not happen overnight - an it is a quick patch job repair that can be done without removing the ship from service. So, too, are thread-bare rugs. Even couches and chairs can be swapped out during the course of a cruise. All of thse deficiencies are foreseeable and fixable.

I am not going to be absurd and liken Celebrity ships to garbage scows. But I have read enough and seen enough to know that even Ray Charles or Steveie Wonder could spot defects that tarnish the "Modern Luxury" theme "X" currently heralds.

Each and every one of us who climbs that gangway has paid Celebrity's price for the privilege. It is fair that we board with expectations that the staterooms we will live in and the public areas we will frequent be maintained in GOOD REPAIR.

Celebrity has supervisors and managers. It should be their jobs to police and inspect the conditions of said areas. Have you ever looked behind your stateroom's television only to find considerable dust, etc.? Where was the supervisor? Where was the manager?

I am a repeat "X" cruiser. As I type this I have cruises on Millennium and Equinox booked. All I expect is what you showed me in the sales brochure.

And I have yet to see a rubbed-out armrest or scuzzy grouting in any of the photos in those brochures.

Have you fellow passengers? Have you, Mr. Bailey?

Straight Ahead!