Gibraltar: Can we walk to the top of the Rock?

You can walk on the road, which defionitely passes a couple of ape feeding areas, or I believe there's a steep path which goes up more or less under the cable car. That isn't easy walking, though. How badly do you want to avoid the apes? They are not domesticated, so they go where they want, including the woods; there will be apes on the viewing platform at the top. They aren't usually aggressive. Don't carry any food or any interesting-looking open bags, and they won't show much (or any) interest in you.

Hi. I presume you can walk up but when we were there it was very, very hot. Waiting for the cable car exhausted me (but I am a wimp). The warnings about not carrying plastic bags in view near the apes should be heeded as they will snatch them from your hands. The view is great but the apes I found quite scary.

Last August we climbed up the Mediterranean Steps to the top of the Rock:

http://www.gibraltar.com/sightseeing/the-mediterranean-steps-gibraltar.html

I highly recommend it. The views were fantastic! Because of the heat, we started early in the morning and carried water. It took us about an hour, but my teens probably could have done it in about half the time, as they kept waiting for me. We did pass the apes just at the top, but they didn't bother us.

• 2 weeks later...

We walked (10 minutes) from the ship to the city center and caught a bus (5 minute ride or about a 1 mile walk). The bus took us to the Jew's Gate & Mediterranean Steps stop (2 -4 minute bus ride). Then about another 10 minutes walk from bus drop off to steps. From there we paid a 0.50 euro fee and filled our water. Hike up the steps is about 1 hour. The views are fantastic from the steps trail, not to be missed, but the hike is not easy. Then, depending how long you look at the apes, another 1 - 1.5 hour walk down to the ship via the roads.

This was one of the highlights of our families trip. Again, the view from the steps over the Med is fantastic!

Sure, you can walk...although we recommend taking the cable car to the top and walking down (you would then have the option of getting back on the cable car at the mid-rock location or walking the entire way. As to the Apes (which are more like little monkeys) they live on the rock and can pretty much do as they please. They tend not to bother tourists (unless they are trying to feed them) so just enjoy your walk.

Hank

Sure, you can walk...although we recommend taking the cable car to the top and walking down (you would then have the option of getting back on the cable car at the mid-rock location or walking the entire way. As to the Apes (which are more like little monkeys) they live on the rock and can pretty much do as they please. They tend not to bother tourists (unless they are trying to feed them) so just enjoy your walk.

Hank

Hi, Hank.

The cable-car still doesn't stop at the mid-station April thru September, this is to increase its ability to speed through the number of visitors.

So between those months it's make-your-mind-up time at the top. ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hi, Hank.

The cable-car still doesn't stop at the mid-station April thru September, this is to increase its ability to speed through the number of visitors.

So between those months it's make-your-mind-up time at the top. ;)

JB :)

Ahh. Well, I guess that means walking all the way down :). Personally, I am too darn old to walk the entire way up .

Hank

P.S. Thanks for that info