Cruise pricing

I have only booked one cruise so I am new to cruises prices/bookings.

Got a query re a cruise I am planning to book this Christmas.

On the w/end, there was double spread RCI ad in the travel section of the sunday paper with various RCI cruises on sale.

One of the mini ads listed a 12day south pacific cruise with 3 specific dates listed. One was for xmas, one was for jan and one was for march.

The prices given were from $1499.00pp (Interior) $1699.00pp Oceanview.

The fine print said that these prices were specific to the Jan sailing.

So I went to my TA today and asked for a specific price for an Oceanview for the xmas sailing,

Now, I know it would be more than the quoted price as I understand xmas is a popular cruise but she has quoted me $7100.00 for 2 of us in an Oceanview cabin, this is a big increase in the starting advertised price (of $1699pp)

Can those of you who are experienced cruisers, tell me if this price difference is normal?

That does sound expensive, AussieLozzie18.

I've booked a Balcony cabin on a 13 night Sun Princess cruise at Christmas for less than that.

One thing you do have to take into account is that there are several grades within each cabin class, often depending on which part of the ship the cabin is located in. The prime locations cost more, naturally. Most cruise company ads list the price of the cheapest grade of cabin in each class as the ""from" price and the difference can be several hundred dollars per person.

And, yes, where several cruises are included in the ad, the price will always reflect the least popular cruise which is usually the cheapest.

That does sound expensive, AussieLozzie18.

I've booked a Balcony cabin on a 13 night Sun Princess cruise at Christmas for less than that.

One thing you do have to take into account is that there are several grades within each cabin class, often depending on which part of the ship the cabin is located in. The prime locations cost more, naturally. Most cruise company ads list the price of the cheapest grade of cabin in each class as the ""from" price and the difference can be several hundred dollars per person.

And, yes, where several cruises are included in the ad, the price will always reflect the least popular cruise which is usually the cheapest.

I agree Aussielozzie. We booked last minute cruise 11 day princess over Christmas to Fiji. Balconies were 1890 p.p. By the time we got our sorry selves sorted balconies were 2100 p.p. But that was a higher grade of balcony. Others on our cruise booked 2500 p.p. for a balcony. I definitely thinking that is too dear.

I have found RCI to be cheaper on average than Prinny. :)

I have only booked one cruise so I am new to cruises prices/bookings.

Got a query re a cruise I am planning to book this Christmas.

On the w/end, there was double spread RCI ad in the travel section of the sunday paper with various RCI cruises on sale.

One of the mini ads listed a 12day south pacific cruise with 3 specific dates listed. One was for xmas, one was for jan and one was for march.

The prices given were from $1499.00pp (Interior) $1699.00pp Oceanview.

The fine print said that these prices were specific to the Jan sailing.

So I went to my TA today and asked for a specific price for an Oceanview for the xmas sailing,

Now, I know it would be more than the quoted price as I understand xmas is a popular cruise but she has quoted me $7100.00 for 2 of us in an Oceanview cabin, this is a big increase in the starting advertised price (of $1699pp)

Can those of you who are experienced cruisers, tell me if this price difference is normal?

Hi Aussielozzie - we are on the Radiance on the Christmas/NYE cruise We have a GS but have friends in balcony cabins and the D1 & D2 balcony cabins are around the $6000(ish) mark for 2 people. I am so over TAs who get paid commission and don't know what they are doing:rolleyes:

Cheers

Di

Cheers

Di

Seems you have been quoted for a balcony. There are only large ocean view cabins left fr that cruise and they are only $4 cheaper than a balcony.

From the website, an E2 Oceanview with balcony is $6737 for 2 people.

The Xmas/NYE cruises are always lots and lots dearer than any other cruise.

Normally you would get that cruise for about $3500-$4000 for 2 people.

I find it just as easy to book direct with rccl either online or over the phone. No cancellation charges for early cancellations.

Radiance of the seas.

Departing December 23rd? If so, definitely check those TA's in the Deals section of this website to find a better deal. Using one of those I found a price of $2524pp for the Oceanview cabin, so $5048 for two of you. That's over $2000 less than your TA quoted.

Hi Aussielozzie - we are on the Radiance on the Christmas/NYE cruise We have a GS but have friends in balcony cabins and the D1 & D2 balcony cabins are around the $6000(ish) mark for 2 people. I am so over TAs who get paid commission and don't know what they are doing:rolleyes:

Cheers

Di

Cheers

Di

Yep, thats the one and I was pretty clear that I wanted an Oceanview. Double checked it when I got the quote. I got another price for family members who wanted a balcony.

Looks like its time for me to bite the bullet and book online or find another TA.

Aussie T/A,s are just making money out of customers with no added advantage "To You" just book direct with the cruise line, then you have total control of your booking with zero extra cost or hassle!

Cant find the cabin or category at the price you want with online self book? Simple call the cruise line and they will help you:)

Try a USA travel agent with a mock booking and see the travel agent advantage they get!

Australian cruise T/A,s are for first time cruise bookers, bit like what a secretary books a boss who doesn't have to pay;)

Travel agents sell you "Block Booking Cabins" but you can get them direct from the cruiseline just as cheap if you ask.

It's a real shame that there is nowhere on this forum where TAs can be mentioned for recommendations and discussion. There appears to be much more competition in the US and some TAs there do seem to have better deals but here in Australia the TAs seem to be useless, unless you manage to fluke finding a really good one. Australian cruisers really need the ability to share good deals.

However I guess it would be too hard to monitor such posts, to avoid the TAs self-promoting. Pity :(

I'm new to cruising too and maybe I got lucky but I did my research I went though the cruise ship site and got the pricing that they were charging and the obc they were giving then went to my TA and asked what they would do it for was surprised when she gave me the same price and obc so I booked got $1100 obc all good right but then there was a big price drop just before our final payment I'm talking $2500 so I rang my TA and she was right on to it she she rings me back got us just over $2000 off plus we kept our obc I was happy with that :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm new to cruising too and maybe I got lucky but I did my research I went though the cruise ship site and got the pricing that they were charging and the obc they were giving then went to my TA and asked what they would do it for was surprised when she gave me the same price and obc so I booked got $1100 obc all good right but then there was a big price drop just before our final payment I'm talking $2500 so I rang my TA and she was right on to it she she rings me back got us just over $2000 off plus we kept our obc I was happy with that :)

Ravie great going. :) you did well.

A "sister" site to CC is mostly known for its hotel reviews but it has a pretty active cruising forum and well. Lots of interesting stuff posted especially about regional cruise issues.:)

If it's the one I'm thinking off, that gives Advice about Trips, it just dumps me back here when I select the Cruises forum.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html

It`s a sister site so I assume it`s permitted to be mentioned here.

It`s hard to find without a link or like OzKiwiJJ mentioned you just finish up on CC.

There`s never any difficulties naming names as long as it`s not advertising.

It`s certainly not near as busy as this site and off topic stuff is strongly discouraged!

Wow! That T/A is definitely a keeper!!! :D

Thanks for that link denny girl - I'll check it out.

Edited by annenic

It`s hard to find without a link or like OzKiwiJJ mentioned you just finish up on CC.

It`s certainly not near as busy as this site and off topic stuff is strongly discouraged!

Thanks denny girl, the more info I can find on cruising the better :)

Yes, it can be talked about here but on the whole, posters on it try to keep the site low profile as it is possible the same rules about not mentioning TAs by name will be instituted. The first thread is the important one for Aust cruisers. Best to bookmark it as I have heard some people have had it default to CC. Some posters post on both CC and it but depending on sign up have different handles.

Yes, it can be talked about here but on the whole, posters on it try to keep the site low profile as it is possible the same rules about not mentioning TAs by name will be instituted. The first thread is the important one for Aust cruisers. Best to bookmark it as I have heard some people have had it default to CC. Some posters post on both CC and it but depending on sign up have different handles.

I've got it safely bookmarked ;)

I haven't read right through that first thread yet but it sounds like the cruise lines are doing what the airlines did some years ago, hiking the prices for Australians way above what the rest of the world pays.

I have a different handle on that forum. I wish I could change it there but it doesn't appear possible.

with the other place i mentioned on their site about a roll call i was running from here and i nearly got banned with them....best not to mention either site and then you wont get into trouble