Need help with 4 busy days!

LiseD

We are on a 2 week cruise next summer....but there are 4 back to back days in port...sure wishing we had a sea day here in the middle!!:

s.gif25-JulVillefranche (Nice), France 9:30 AM 6:00 PMTendered

s.gif26-JulCivitavecchia (Rome), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PMDocked

s.gif27-JulLivorno (Florence), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PMDocked s.gif

28-JulGenoa, Italy 7:00 AM 3:00 PMDocked s.gif

I don't want to kill my family, but there is a lot to see at all of these ports! But just know we can't go strong all 4 days.....I know Rome will be a very long day....so much I want to see there....so suggestions on which of these ports might be better for a more relaxing day...maybe just a walk and some good food...or a beach day? I just hate to miss anything great but do not want everyone to be super exhausted.

I know what you mean about needing to pace yourself. We've learned to prioritize during our travels, and not try to see everything.

In the ports you list, I would say Civi/Rome and Livorno/Florence would be your big days - pity they're back-to-back! Not been to Villefranche, but I think Nice would probably be a more relaxing, strolling-type of day. In Genoa, you have the option of simply wandering around the city or, if you feel ambitious, check out Portofino or the Cinque Terre... But that could be a last-minute decision based on how you survive the other 3 days...!

In any case, Trenitalia is your friend, especially for your Rome/Florence days. Research all your different possibilities beforehand, so if you do want to make last-minute adjustments to your schedule, you'll know what your options are.

From Livorno, Pisa would be a lot more relaxing than Florence.

Much closer too, & cheap and easy by train.

But Florence is the same route too, so you could leave your decision until you approach the ticket booth at the station ;)

Villefranche is quite limited, no sights as such but a very pleasant place to chill. But only a short & pleasant train journey to Monte Carlo or Nice. And in Monte either you can rush around or chill as the mood takes you.

Rome. Well yes, that's going to be a busy day - but well worth it.

Genoa I can't help. But you've only got a short day anyway, and a sea day to follow.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I have looked into some of the private drivers....Rome in a Limo, etc that are recommended here......more expensive but wondering if that will help to not make the days so tiring?

I have looked into some of the private drivers....Rome in a Limo, etc that are recommended here......more expensive but wondering if that will help to not make the days so tiring?

It will certainly be the best use of your time in very popular, site dense ports like Rome and Florence.

We are a group of 4 and I have been posting in our CC roll call to see if we can find a few more to share the driver as that brings the cost way down!!

I know it would still be long days in those ports but seems having a driving might be less stressful and tiring.

Still think we need to pick one of those 4 days to just have a really easy day....little walking...maybe an outdoor café with a good glass of red wine? :)

We will have just had a sea day when we hit Villefranche so sure we will be rested and ready to go. Then Rome and Florence just lend themselves to LONG days....so maybe Genoa is a good "laid back" day? Or we just buck it up....hey....we have not been to Europe in a long time and it maybe a long time before we go back!! ha ha

Villefranche - a very cool seaside village right around the bend from Nice. Also there is Eze - a hilltop village not far that is unlike anything I have visited before. Homes carved right out of the rock .....with hobbit type wooden doors. Very cool place and the views at the top are amazing !!!! Monte Carlo/Monaco was neat but in retrospect I could have skipped it. We actually did a ship tour here that did Nice, Eze and Monte Carlo. It was a nice day and we had free time in each place so we just wandered. Very relaxing.

Livorno - again we did a ship tour (we dont usually do them but we did this trip) and we went to Pisa in the morning and Florence after. Glad we did but I really could have spent alot more time in Florence - like a couple of days more :D It was a long day but in reality some of the time was spent resting on the bus watching the beautiful Tuscan countryside go by..... and no worries about getting back to the ship as Florence is some ways from port. We also had free time in both places and again - wandered, snacked on some street food and shopped.

Rome - ah yes..... our favorite. Been 4 times (both pre and post cruise) and still have a very long list of "to do's" so in only 3/4 of a day you will need to figure your very must haves.......

Genoa - cant help with that one....havent been - YET!:D

We are a group of 4 and I have been posting in our CC roll call to see if we can find a few more to share the driver as that brings the cost way down!!

I know it would still be long days in those ports but seems having a driving might be less stressful and tiring.

Still think we need to pick one of those 4 days to just have a really easy day....little walking...maybe an outdoor café with a good glass of red wine? :)

We will have just had a sea day when we hit Villefranche so sure we will be rested and ready to go. Then Rome and Florence just lend themselves to LONG days....so maybe Genoa is a good "laid back" day? Or we just buck it up....hey....we have not been to Europe in a long time and it maybe a long time before we go back!! ha ha

Agree about Genoa; but Florence can actually be pretty laid back too, if you so choose. It's really a walking city, so my thought would be get the private driver for Rome (where it really would make things easier), but look at taking the train to Florence and touring on your own. Set your own pace; try to enjoy what you can see, rather than worry about rushing around and doing everything.

Agree about Genoa; but Florence can actually be pretty laid back too, if you so choose. It's really a walking city, so my thought would be get the private driver for Rome (where it really would make things easier), but look at taking the train to Florence and touring on your own. Set your own pace; try to enjoy what you can see, rather than worry about rushing around and doing everything.

For Genoa- you can easy walk from the ship to museums Palazzo Blanco and Palazzo rocca, and Palazzo reale. Its not far, but worth to visit!

With you short time in Genoa you will not have time to go to Portofino

Hi We did Rome and Florence a few years ago. Took ship tours for both (anxious as first cruise!). Both fabulous but temperature, particularly in Florence, was very high. Was similar time to when you are going. We are from England so not used to it but was tiring. We did walking tour of Rome, lunch then Vatican City with a guide and it was brilliant. We got dropped off in Florence and walked round. Florence was stunning, like a film set, but as most of us do, tried to see everything and paid the price of swollen ankles and exhaustion. However would not have missed it for the world. Can't help with the other places. Enjoy. x

I am aware that it will be HOT so that is another reason for me not to over plan!! We would not think about going this time of year but it is over our twins 21st birthday and they go back to college right when we get home.....so no choice on dates! It is so tempting to want to "see it all" BUT also want to have fun and not be exhausted everyday! Thanks for your good advice!

I must say I am a confessed "over planner"! I am the one that usually tries to do to much in one day and pays for it with a cranky family!! ha ha SO....I'm trying to be "reformed" for this trip and just plan some days that are more laid back. Honestly if this were just me on the trip, I would go strong everyday....BUT have others to think of!! :)

Actually since you all are so helpful....can I share thoughts so far after reading your posts..hoping to also find another group of 4 to join us to lower price:

Ports"

Gibralter: No planned tour....seems easy enough to see a few highlights on our own...my girls like to just shop around a bit.

Villefrance: Driver-Sylvie Di Cristo (recommended on this board) She offers a "Riviera Highlights" tour in an A/C van. Thinking this might be a nice drive with some sights.

Rome and Livorno- Use Rome in a Limo (also recommend on this site- A/C vans!!

Genoa- on our own-see some of the sights and just walk around a bit.

Malga- Downloaded the "Footsteps" guide on my Kindle- so just take a walking tour on our own

Lisbon- Top Ten Tours -or maybe on our own if we can't find some others to join us

Toughts?

Edited by LiseD

We caught one of the city tour buses in Lisbon and then walked around and got shuttle back to ship. Lovely city. As we sailed away threw bread from balcony to seagulls as they follow the ship out of port (probably not supposed to do this but got fab action shot of seagull flying past).

Malaga- ship tour to Puerto Banus and Marbella. As we drove through Malaga realised very pleasant port and could have spent time looking at sights there but think I got confused with Magaluf! British and Spanish people will probably get this. The time in Marbella was very short so don't feel got the best from this tour.

My 2 cents as busy as port days seem, the reality is the long drive helps give you some down time.

We did private tours, had 3 days that were crazy busy, but in some ways not so much. Got off boat the minute we could ( had a private van ), many in our party just slept going in and coming back. Having a private car really helps, they drop you curbside and you don't wait for anyone but your own party.

Good luck!

I really want to go see Marbella on the Malga day as we visited there about 20 years ago and I would love to see it again....but have also thought about just hanging out in Malga as I have never seen it!

Do any of you just do "beach days" or is there just too much to see? I think my 20 yo girls would love a beach day!

We did private drivers in both Florence and Rome and wouldn't do it any other way. Both cities have so much to see we felt it was worth having a driver get us right to the sights rather than walking. We crammed a ton of sights into one day in Rome because we weren't sure if/when we would be back. In Florence we saw a little of the city then headed out to the Tuscan countryside - that was a wonderful day. You can go to Roll Call and look for others on your cruise to share the cost of 8 person limo. The advantage is then you don't have to worry about train schedules. These folks are professionals who depend on good will of cruisers so they will assure you are back to ship in plenty of time.

We did private drivers in both Florence and Rome and wouldn't do it any other way. Both cities have so much to see we felt it was worth having a driver get us right to the sights rather than walking. We crammed a ton of sights into one day in Rome because we weren't sure if/when we would be back. In Florence we saw a little of the city then headed out to the Tuscan countryside - that was a wonderful day. You can go to Roll Call and look for others on your cruise to share the cost of 8 person limo. The advantage is then you don't have to worry about train schedules. These folks are professionals who depend on good will of cruisers so they will assure you are back to ship in plenty of time.