Wine in Houston or Galveston ?

Hi, if you walk up to the Strand which is not far from the ship, there is a store called the Emporium, they sell wine. You will be on a street that has lot's of shops to look at too. There may be others that sell wine, just not sure. However, no big box store or liquor store's near by. That's the only thing I can think of.

When are you cruising?

Suz

Keep in mind if it is a SUNDAY cruise, the "liquor" stores will not be open. The stores that sell beer & wine only will be open, but the wine selections there may be limitied somewhat.

In Galveston, there is a Walmart on Seawall Blvd. that sells beer & wine and a Spec's Liquor store on 61st st. that sells all kinds of liquor. Neither are close to the port area.

Houston should have tons of options... maybe your "shuttle" from Houston to Galveston could stop along the way?

You can search "google maps" by entering "liquor stores near (insert location)" ...it will show you a lot of options...

Edited by SRV FAN

We dropped our luggage off around 10:00 and then had a walk around town. We found a Walgreens store close by and bought our wine there. It was probably well pst 12:00, as we had stopped to have an early lunch at Fisherman's Wharf.

Thanks for all replies. Think I like the sound of checking into ship then having a walk to get some 'supplies'

Not sure how that would work with respect to two bottles of wine per cabin we are 'allowed' to take aboard, but worth a try.

Many thanks, once again.

Texas has some weird rules on alcohol. Also note once you board they can only sell alcohol that they purchased from Texas so your options can be limited depending on what you are planning on drinking.

I do highly recommend walking around Galveston before you board. Drop your luggage, walk out the gates and enjoy. There are some really fun places that are easily walkable. The Taffy Store was our favorite as they were making taffy that day and throwing it to the crowd. Name of the place isn't coming to mind right now but it is an old fashioned soda fountain place that is pretty cool.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Edited by CruisinDawn

Thanks for all replies. Think I like the sound of checking into ship then having a walk to get some 'supplies'

Not sure how that would work with respect to two bottles of wine per cabin we are 'allowed' to take aboard, but worth a try.

Many thanks, once again.

You know, somewhere in the fine print I think it says you can only bring the wine on at embarkation. Mainly, I think it is in place for port stops so I don't know how they would handle it if you are checked in and then leave. However, OP said they got away with it.

Then, didn't I read/hear that when you bought your wine on you took it to a desk and they checked your name off when it was first allowed? That way they would know you didn't bring on two bottles at embarkation and then go out and get two more. They would, also, know that DH didn't get in one line with two bottles and DW in another line with two bottles. Hopefully, they have decided that was more trouble than it was worth.

The reason I know you can't buy it before noon is I stopped once on the way home from church to get a bottle for a dinner I was having that night. I was told loudly that I couldn't purchase it before noon. Everyone was staring at me and, here I was, all dressed nice and everything (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Edited by Tucker in Texas

Anyone able to suggest where to buy wine near Marriott Houston airport prior to RCCL transfer to Galveston? Flying in so no car.

If impossible, would we be able to buy some at Galveston ?

Thanks for urgent attention.

There is nothing near the Marriott. Your best bet is Galveston. There is a quaint downtown area in Galveton called "The Strand" that has all kinds of shops.

Don't know if you would have a problem if you checked in, though I doubt it. We just dropped off our luggage, didn't go through the check in process.

There was a desk to show your wine, but nobody wrote anything down. Boarding the ship, security at the scanners wouldn't know if it was your first or second time through, unless they had really great memories.