StThomas Coki Beach

helpwanted

If I remember correctly, both of those beaches have lockers available for rental. In my opinion, snorkeling would be much better at Coki Beach, but Magen's Bay is way more beautiful, although it's not known for good snorkeling. I've spent a couple weeks on the island, yet I've never visited either beach when a cruise ship was in port. From what I hear they both get really crowded when ships are there.

We heard Coli beach is better than Megan bay for snorkeling. Anyone been there? Also what do you do with your wallet, passport etch when you are snorkeling?

Both beaches will get very busy if several ships are in port. If you dont mind crowds and love to snorkel, go to Coki. They have locker rentals, vendors selling drinks, chair rental etc. We have snorkeled there several times.

Just last month we went to Magens Bay the first time. It is beautiful but not good for snorkeling.

We like coki better, as we have found it much less crowded than megans bay. As far as snorkeling, on the left side of the beach near the rocks, is a great place to snorkel at coki. You can rent a snorkel for $5 and they give you dog biscuits which the fish will come up to and nibble right out of your hand. They take your id at the dive shop so you bring back the snorkel. Passport, leave on the ship....you are still im the usa. Money, buy a lanyard that holds money, boarding card, etc. They sell waterproof cases on line.

Howard

The last time we were at Coki, they were offering us large Milk Bone to take into the water to attract fish - amazing variety along the rocks near the old underwater aquarium. Plan to get there as early as possible to take advantage of water that hasn't been turned up by swimmers, etc.

Coki has ample chair and umbrella rental, plus vendors for snacks and beverages.

Never take your passport to the beach. Every time we have been there, we find others from the ship. Just look for the towels to identify your fellow ship-mates. That way, we take turns keeping an eye on possessions, though the lockers do come in handy.

Darcy

• 1 month later...

I agree Sapphire Beach is the better snorkeling site on St Thomas. If you want chairs, lockers and food then you will not want this beach. We have done Coki and did not like it, too many people and way too many vendors not a comfortable area for us.

Anyone been there? Also what do you do with your wallet, passport etch when you are snorkeling?

I was at Coki Beach in September. I think we were the only ship in port, but I was on the Allure (one of the biggest ships), which mitigated that advantage.

It cost $5 or $10 to rent a locker for the day. They're not huge, but they're big enough.

I didn't bother buying a milk bone. There will be plenty of fish swarming the people who do.

The rocks on either side of the beach will have the most fish. I mostly stayed on the right side and ended up swimming about 1/3 of the distance to Coki Point. While the greatest number of fish are fairly close to the beach (where they're getting fed), the greatest variety was further out. In addition, certain fish hang out in by the rocks. Others hang out in the sandy areas.

There were also some pelicans (and other seabirds) hanging out on the rocks on the right side.

I was at Coki Beach in September. I think we were the only ship in port, but I was on the Allure (one of the biggest ships), which mitigated that advantage.

It cost $5 or $10 to rent a locker for the day. They're not huge, but they're big enough.

I didn't bother buying a milk bone. There will be plenty of fish swarming the people who do.

The rocks on either side of the beach will have the most fish. I mostly stayed on the right side and ended up swimming about 1/3 of the distance to Coki Point. While the greatest number of fish are fairly close to the beach (where they're getting fed), the greatest variety was further out. In addition, certain fish hang out in by the rocks. Others hang out in the sandy areas.

There were also some pelicans (and other seabirds) hanging out on the rocks on the right side.

Since milk bones aren't a fish's daily diet plan, that's a good thing.

You/we can purchase fish food in nearly any sports, and/or, fishing stores. Much better for their tum tums, and their longevity too.

Here are fish food examples:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-fish-food/ps/c/3578/7927

Edited by Stevesan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Snorkeling is better at Coki. Really Megan's bay has a sandy bottom, is a gorgeous beach with great sand and some wonderful shade for those who need it, but it is not good snorkeling.

On my last cruise I wanted to go to Coki but the person getting people on shuttles said snorkeling was better at Megan's Bay, which we hadn't been to before (had been to Coki), so we did that and found that it was a lie just to get the shuttle filled. We enjoyed ourselves on the beach and swimming, but we much prefer snorkeling.

Someone also mentioned Sapphire, which I'd say is better than Coki for snorkeling. But it is harder to get to and it's not as commercial for buying things or food, or renting equipment and stuff. Although it has been several years since I've been there, so things could have changed.

coki or saphire for snorkeling.. ... they are the only 2 for snorkeling from shore unless you go to st. John

I have to differ with you. . .

Secret Harbour Resort is in Nazareth Bay. We stayed there and snorkeled from the beach. GREAT PLACE - don't like to share it because I want to keep it a secret!:D

There is a dive shop that can rent gear if you don't have any. I'd go online and reserve it. Sometimes they closed shop and went diving!

Locals told us it was the best snorkeling on the island. Coki was okay for our kids (they were 6, 8, 12 & 14) but it isn't really good snorkeling. Secret Harbour had good beach snorkeling. We swam with a sea turtle every afternoon. There is a beach bar & restaurant. I'd contact the resort to be nice but technically, it's a public beach - like all of the beaches.

Turtle.jpg

SecretHarbour.jpg This is the "right" side of NB

Burton1-R1-026-11A.jpg and this is looking left. Our feet are in that photo.

• 3 months later...

I have snorkeled more than a few time at Coki Beach and IMO it is one of the very best walk-in snorkeling venues in the Caribbean. The secret is to be there very early as it does get busy after early morning. As you enter the water move right toward Coral World and you should have excellent snorkeling. People speak very highly of Trunk Bay on St. Johns however the one time we tried it the wind and seas were up and as it is a white coral sand beach the water was very cloudy....the end result was that we wasted more than $120 on taxis, ferries and park entrance fees...the scenery was lovely but the snorkeling not so.