baltic excursions with scooter

yliebert

We will be on Emerald Princess this July and DH will be using a rented scooter. Everyone has been so kind answering all my questions. I think I have just one more ...excursions. Are there any you know of that we just should not try? Any ports on this tour that are particularly difficult? The ship offers some excursions for those in wheelchairs. Do we have to take those if we have the scooter? Can you take a scooter into port on a tender? Some have said it's okay as long as the sea is calm. I guess that was more than one question. As you can see I try not to have surprises!

Thanks

Yoletta

Princess requires that you stand and walk onto the tender. They will not let you ride your scooter or wheelchair onto the tender, nor be lifted aboard. If you can walk, a companion can bring a folding manual wheelchair for you onto the tender, IF the seas are very calm, otherwise you won't be allowed at all.

We took a Baltic cruise with Princess 4 years ago. We had no tendered ports on our cruise. I use a very small travelscoot scooter that is completely collapsible. The problem with even the "easy" tours is that they are on large buses which mean you need to go up and down at every stop. Also it will probably be very difficult if not impossible to load the scooter into the hold of the bus. If you are renting a scooter that comes apart you need to practice doing that and putting it together again so you can do that for your excursions. A wheelchair would be easier. I have found that Princess excursions have fairly accurate descriptions especially how many steps are involved BUT it is able-bodied people who have evaluated the tours and written the directions. Many times the moderate or sometimes even the strenuous excursions are well within my abilities IF I can get on the bus. I find I do much better with independent excursions. I describe my limits to the tour provider and after they describe what they offer I can decide what is best for me. I found the Scandinavian countries on this cruise excellent for scooter use primarily because of the wonderful bike lines that are everywhere.

We took a Baltic cruise with Princess 4 years ago. We had no tendered ports on our cruise. I use a very small travelscoot scooter that is completely collapsible. The problem with even the "easy" tours is that they are on large buses which mean you need to go up and down at every stop. Also it will probably be very difficult if not impossible to load the scooter into the hold of the bus. If you are renting a scooter that comes apart you need to practice doing that and putting it together again so you can do that for your excursions. A wheelchair would be easier. I have found that Princess excursions have fairly accurate descriptions especially how many steps are involved BUT it is able-bodied people who have evaluated the tours and written the directions. Many times the moderate or sometimes even the strenuous excursions are well within my abilities IF I can get on the bus. I find I do much better with independent excursions. I describe my limits to the tour provider and after they describe what they offer I can decide what is best for me. I found the Scandinavian countries on this cruise excellent for scooter use primarily because of the wonderful bike lines that are everywhere.

Thanks Katie.

On some other related threads there was discussion of wheelchairs, but I would not be able to push him so I don't think that's an option. I am planning to ask SPB and Alla if they can accommodate the scooter in ST Pete. I also read about Liberty Tours in St Pete for the wheelchair bound. We were hoping that the normal buses could put the scooter underneath in the baggage hold. Since my DH is near the upper weight limit for the smaller scooter, Special Needs at Sea wants him to rent the mid size scooter. We were originally thinking of renting the scooter at home but most people seem to think we would be better off having it delivered to the ship. I'm just so worried because the London airport is so large. Also we are arriving in Southampton 2 days before our ship departs so we can spend a day in the New Forest. This is all so stressful for me, but then I think how fortunate we are that we can do this at all.

Sorry for rambling:o

Yoletta

I have been informed by two of the SPB tour companies that a scooter could not be accommodated on the tours because there are no curb cuts in St Petersburg. If you have a wheelchair, you must get out of the chair and get up the curb or have someone pull you up and down. The minibuses will not accommodate a scooter. Anastasia travel will accommodate someone who is wheelchair bound.

I have been informed by two of the SPB tour companies that a scooter could not be accommodated on the tours because there are no curb cuts in St Petersburg. If you have a wheelchair, you must get out of the chair and get up the curb or have someone pull you up and down. The minibuses will not accommodate a scooter. Anastasia travel will accommodate someone who is wheelchair bound.

Thanks for the info. I emailed SPB but hadn't heard back yet. I'm going to email Liberty to see if they will take the scooter. The problem with the wheelchair is that someone has to push it!:mad:

Yoletta

I arranged a private tour in St Petersburg for two days with DenRus Tours. http://www.denrus.ru/ They had an ADA equipped van with a ramp for my scooter. They were very helpful in planning the itinerary and we had a wonderful driver and guide who spoke good English. I highly recommend them. There was space in the van to have several others join you and share the cost.

Edited by rascalrider

I arranged a private tour in St Petersburg for two days with DenRus Tours. http://www.denrus.ru/ They had an ADA equipped van with a ramp for my scooter. They were very helpful in planning the itinerary and we had a wonderful driver and guide who spoke good English. I highly recommend them. There was space in the van to have several others join you and share the cost.

Sounds great! I will email them tonight.

Thanks

Yoletta:)

In Russia, most of their buildings are totally inaccessible, including the Hermitage and all the Palaces. The most you're going to be able to do there is drive bys. I was still mobile on my first Baltic cruise, and I saw everything, but on the subsequent 2 cruises, I was confined to my scooter due to post polio, and the cruises were totally different than the first. There were no places for me to visit, despite the fact that I was on private tours. It doesn't matter if one uses a wheelchair or scooter, their historic buildings just aren't accessible and have stairs just to get inside.

Some of the cities on Baltic cruises are more accessible than others, but again, some of the biggest tourist areas are difficult, if not impossible. And if you have a tender port, he will not be allowed to tender using a scooter, even if the seas are calm. The ship doesn't allow their crew to carry heavy scooters onto a tender---there's just too much liability.

In Russia, most of their buildings are totally inaccessible, including the Hermitage and all the Palaces. The most you're going to be able to do there is drive bys. I was still mobile on my first Baltic cruise, and I saw everything, but on the subsequent 2 cruises, I was confined to my scooter due to post polio, and the cruises were totally different than the first. There were no places for me to visit, despite the fact that I was on private tours. It doesn't matter if one uses a wheelchair or scooter, their historic buildings just aren't accessible and have stairs just to get inside.

Some of the cities on Baltic cruises are more accessible than others, but again, some of the biggest tourist areas are difficult, if not impossible. And if you have a tender port, he will not be allowed to tender using a scooter, even if the seas are calm. The ship doesn't allow their crew to carry heavy scooters onto a tender---there's just too much liability.

Oh Dear! This is very sad news. Several people have said that the Hermitage does have an elevator. Did you know about that when you were there? When you arranged the private tours, did they tell you in advance what you would be able to see? What company did you use? I know about not be able to take the scooter on the tender. I told DH he should bring a rollator for that but he doesn't want to have to take more equipment as we are already traveling with his dialysis machine and extra luggage for the supplies.

Yoletta

Don't get discouraged yet. DenRus people were able to help me plan a very nice itinerary and get me inside of Church on Spilled Blood, Hermitage, Peter and Paul's, St Nicholas Cathedral, private home for lunch, plus ... Yes, there were a few steps or a threshold that my scooter was lifted over and DenRus bent over backwards to give me a positive experience. You mentioned that your husband also uses a rollator, which indicates he can walk, so would most likely to be able to get off the scooter and allow it to be lifted up a few steps, assisted up the steps and then rejoin the scooter. But be pre-warned that there are some very rough cobblestones in St Petersburg! My experience was in 2005 ... I cannot vouch for 2014 rules and regulations ... things may have changed.

If your husband is large with a very large, heavy scooter, it will be more limiting. Be upfront with DenRus so they can offer appropriate suggestions. Good luck!

Don't get discouraged yet. DenRus people were able to help me plan a very nice itinerary and get me inside of Church on Spilled Blood, Hermitage, Peter and Paul's, St Nicholas Cathedral, private home for lunch, plus ... Yes, there were a few steps or a threshold that my scooter was lifted over and DenRus bent over backwards to give me a positive experience. You mentioned that your husband also uses a rollator, which indicates he can walk, so would most likely to be able to get off the scooter and allow it to be lifted up a few steps, assisted up the steps and then rejoin the scooter. But be pre-warned that there are some very rough cobblestones in St Petersburg! My experience was in 2005 ... I cannot vouch for 2014 rules and regulations ... things may have changed.

If your husband is large with a very large, heavy scooter, it will be more limiting. Be upfront with DenRus so they can offer appropriate suggestions. Good luck!

Thank you for the more positive reply. Yes, DH can walk a little, so that is a relief, and he is going to begin PT tomorrow so I'm hoping he'll be able to walk more than 5 feet at a time. He doesn't use a rollator but I am constantly telling him he needs one (as is our DIL who is a PT) I have already been in contact with DenRus and they said they could accommodate the scooter. The planning is so stressful, I'll be glad when we can just pack our bags and go!!

Yoletta

Thanks so much for the information about Denrus. Did they tell you whether they would be able to take you with the scooter to the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace. I am going to contact them myself, as the only group I have found that does wheelchair tours and includes the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace is Anastasia Yours. They will provide someone to push you for $50 estra per day. Also, I have a full size scooter so I do t know how practical that will be. Thanks for any info you can post here. We are traveling May 24 on Celebrity Eclipse.

Thanks so much for the information about Denrus. Did they tell you whether they would be able to take you with the scooter to the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace? I am going to contact them myself, as the only group I have found that does wheelchair tours and includes the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace is Anastasia Yours. They will provide someone to push you for $50 extra per day. Also, I have a full size scooter so I don't know how practical that will be. Thanks for any info you can post here. We are traveling May 24 on Celebrity Eclipse.

As beautiful as Catherine's Palace is, it was axed from my list because of too many stairs. The Hermitage had just a few steps at the back door and a very small elevator inside which just fit my small scooter, a manual wheelchair and two ambulatory people. DenRus was very helpful in tailoring the itinerary to my limitations. I am sure they would do the same for you. After using a full size scooter for a couple of years, I invested in a travel scooter to make it easier for vendors to be able to assist with a curb or a few steps. ... or lift into a van when no ramps or lifts are available. Just something to think about.

Yliebert

You don't say exactly which cities you will visit. There are lots of different itineraries on Baltic cruises. We did one last September and like you, I was trying to decide whether to take a scooter or wheelchair. I decided on taking a wheelchair. I can walk short distances and manage stairs as long as there is a handrail.

Our cruise departed from Southampton. As we live in London this was not a problem as we drove there.

Amsterdam

My friend picked us up at the port, but it is an accessible port.

Copenhagen

We did the HOHO bus which leaves from where the ship docks. Reasonably accessible, but there were a couple of bumpy places over cobble stones.

Stockholm

We had an overnight, so bought a 24 hour travel card. We used the buses, trams and ferries. Didn't have time to try out the Metro. All very accessible with extremely helpful drivers and members of the public. The Vasa Museum totally accessible. Definitely the easiest of our ports.

Tallin

We took a taxi to the top of Tapea Hill so we were going down it and not up. I ended up walking more here, than being pushed. Particularly disabled unfriendly. However, the HOHO bus does stop at the port, so you could possibly take that.

SPB

This was also the port that concerned me. I contacted Alla Tours and they replied with a fully detailed explanation of the Comfort Tour itinerary, right down to how far the distances are and how many steps. We ended up booking it and were very lucky as there were only 2 other people from our cruise on the tour, so it was virtually like having a private tour.

At each stop the driver put in and took out my wheelchair from under the mini bus. If I had taken a fold up scooter it would have easily have fitted in. He ensured that whenever he could he stopped beside the kerb so I could easily get on and off the bus. There were some steps to negotiate to get on the boat for the boat tour, but the boatmen helped me. The same for the hydrofoil to Peterhof Palace and gardens. In the Hermitage there is a ramp and lifts. In Catherine Palace we were taken in a separate entrance where there is a lift. The Churchof Spilled Blood there is a ramp.

At the Peterhof the guide ensured he took a route with no steps. At the exit there was an incline to get up, but he helped my partner push me. When we crossed the main road we found on one side there was a dropped kerb, but none on the other, so I had to get out.

The restaurants we stopped for lunch on each of the days had a couple of steps to enter, but I managed OK and left the wheelchair on the bus. The only part of the tour I didn't do was the metro ride. I stayed on the bus while my partner did it.

If, like me your husband can manage a few steps and walk a short distance he shouldn't have any problem. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. we want to do another Baltic cruise with a different itinerary so we can go back to SPB.

Gdansk

The ship docked in Gdynia which is about 25km from the Gdansk so we did the ship's tour. This was on a normal 52 seater coach. I can manage the steps so got on/off and wheelchair stored underneath. Gdansk is reasonably accesible. There are some cobblestones in the old town, but nowhere near as difficult as Tallin. Interesting port and the cheapest.

We didn't have any tender ports as we were on a smallish ship. Neither did I use the wheelchair onboard the ship. As I don't know your personal circumstances I can't advise what would be best for you, but hope this info has helped.

Thanks so much for the information about Denrus. Did they tell you whether they would be able to take you with the scooter to the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace? I am going to contact them myself, as the only group I have found that does wheelchair tours and includes the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace is Anastasia Yours. They will provide someone to push you for $50 extra per day. Also, I have a full size scooter so I don't know how practical that will be. Thanks for any info you can post here. We are traveling May 24 on Celebrity Eclipse.

Also contact Liberty Ltd tours, they specialize in wheelchair tours

Yoletta

London towner and Rascal,

Thanks for your input. We will be on the Emerald Princess. Our ports are Oslo, Gothenburg, Tallinn, St Pete, Helsinki,Stockholm, Copenhagen and Brussels.

So far I have contacted SPB, TAJ, and Denrus tours. SPB said it would be difficult the other two said they could do a private tour. I haven't tried Anastasia yet. I so appreciate everyone's input. Thanks guys

Yoletta:)

Hi there,

I did a Baltic cruise last summer on my pride go go scooter. After much research myself and my friend did a private tour with Alla tours, it was amazing and worth every penny. We saw all the major sights over 2 days we had our one guide and driver who were wonderful. We toured the Hermatage and Catherine's palace with no problems, we even went down the underground. Our highlight was the church of the spilled blood, do not miss going inside. We saw much more than anyone we spoke to who had done the ships tours even thought they didn't need a scooter.

In Tallian we just walked (scootered in) about 10 minutes walk. It's a very bumpy ride but worth the discomfort.

In Helsinki we did a short ships tour and saw the rock church and other major sights.

I missed Stockholm as the ship could not dock and I couldn't use the tenders so had to cancel my trips but as the weather was awful that day I was assured I did miss much.

We went into Bruge on the Bruge on your own trip, with no problems but again the cobbles were uncomfortable but well worth it.

Copenhagen was very easy we walke in from the ship about 30 minutes walk to Palce square but it a very pretty and flat walk in, you go past the little mermaid on the way. We also went on a boat ride which was very good, I just left my scooter at the kiosk were we got on the boat.

In Warnermunde we didn't bother going to Berlin as it was 3 hours each way. We got a taxi to Rostock and the spent the rest of the day in Warmermunde which is a very pretty little place.

Hope this is of some help.

We are booked with Alla in SPB in August on Eclipse. We told them we needed to be able to transport two electric wheelchairs and 6 slow walkers (4 x teenagers).

Alla sent us a schedule which covers the main sites. Its called the comfort tour and Alla seem first class in their dealings thus far.

Yes in Copenhagen there are HOHO buses that are accessible but its also very flat. If the OP goes before we do, please post your experiences.

Hi there,

I did a Baltic cruise last summer on my pride go go scooter. After much research myself and my friend did a private tour with Alla tours, it was amazing and worth every penny. We saw all the major sights over 2 days we had our one guide and driver who were wonderful. We toured the Hermatage and Catherine's palace with no problems, we even went down the underground. Our highlight was the church of the spilled blood, do not miss going inside. We saw much more than anyone we spoke to who had done the ships tours even thought they didn't need a scooter.

In Tallian we just walked (scootered in) about 10 minutes walk. It's a very bumpy ride but worth the discomfort.

In Helsinki we did a short ships tour and saw the rock church and other major sights.

I missed Stockholm as the ship could not dock and I couldn't use the tenders so had to cancel my trips but as the weather was awful that day I was assured I did miss much.

We went into Bruge on the Bruge on your own trip, with no problems but again the cobbles were uncomfortable but well worth it.

Copenhagen was very easy we walke in from the ship about 30 minutes walk to Palce square but it a very pretty and flat walk in, you go past the little mermaid on the way. We also went on a boat ride which was very good, I just left my scooter at the kiosk were we got on the boat.

In Warnermunde we didn't bother going to Berlin as it was 3 hours each way. We got a taxi to Rostock and the spent the rest of the day in Warmermunde which is a very pretty little place.

Hope this is of some help.

Scooter girl,

In Tallinn did you scoot into the lower old town area? and/or Upper area?

We are trying to book our excursions now.

Thanks,

Yoletta

Scooter girl,

In Tallinn did you scoot into the lower old town area? and/or Upper area?

We are trying to book our excursions now.

Thanks,

Yoletta

Hi Yoletta,

I did the lower old town area on my scooter with no problems. But be warned every where is cobbled, it's a very, very bumpy experience , some of the drooped curbs are not dropped enough as I found out when I took a run at one I thought I could get up, I was wrong!!!! On the plus side there virtually no traffic so at least you don't have to worry about being flattened.

Hi Yoletta,

I did the lower old town area on my scooter with no problems. But be warned every where is cobbled, it's a very, very bumpy experience , some of the drooped curbs are not dropped enough as I found out when I took a run at one I thought I could get up, I was wrong!!!! On the plus side there virtually no traffic so at least you don't have to worry about being flattened.

DH decided to rent a Pride GoGo to be delivered to ship and take a rollator from home. I've seen pictures of Tallinn and we will be fine just scooting around the lower town. Took your advice and signed up for Bruge on Your own. I still haven't decided on a tour Company:) for St Pete. Have emailed with TJ, DenRus and Spb, they all seem great. I will email alla today. Thanks for your help

Yoletta;)