Just off the Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean Jan 11 - 18, 2014

homeinboca

We have just returned from our 7 day cruise on the Crown Princess and we had a wonderful time. I was looking forward to this cruise with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. I was excited to be back on a Princess ship and cruising and had some trepidation about all the negative reports on the Crown recently.

Well I have to say, we didn't have any issues with AC or the plumbing - both worked fine for us the entire trip. I never did tell DW about these issues as it would have worried her sick. There was a foul smell in the hallways and in our cabin a few nights, but other than that no issues. The cruise itself was wonderful and we had great weather the entire time except for the last sea day heading back to Ft Lauderdale when it was cool and cloudy all day.

The Crown is in great shape and the crew are wonderful. We met many couples that were sailing on her for many weeks. She leaves for a 49 day South American Cruise in February and many of the staff will be getting off before that happens.

I was wondering how I would feel going back on a Grand Class of ship after sailing on the Royal this past summer. We both agreed that we loved the Royal class so much we have booked the Regal for our next cruise.

I plan to do a full review of the ship, crew, food, entertainment and our stops in Princess Cay, Aruba and Curacao. If you have any specific questions about the ship or on board activities, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ron

We were also on that cruise. We had a wonderful time. Especially noteworthy for us this time was the quality of the food in the MDR. Some of those appetizers were extraordinary!

Also, Tom Franek in Crooners. We had to have our martinis either very late or very early. Each time we headed there right after dinner, the place was packed and spilling out into the Piazza. He's great.

I'm glad you also enjoyed.

We also experienced some less than pleasant smells - when we first boarded, everyone in our group, four cabins, experienced a slight outhouse smell in the bathrooms. We were mid ship, Caribe. It hung around, but I think we just got used to it so it stopped bothering us.

I now understand why everyone goes on about the Caribe deck. Loved it!

Hi all. We too were on this sailing. There was something magical about this cruise. Our experience this trip was exactly why we love cruising. The weather was indeed beautiful for 90% of the trip. The Crown is a beautiful ship and we loved all the intimate areas throughout the ship. Any issues we had were minor and all the problems others experienced with air/toilets were not felt by us. The crew is amazing and always made you feel like they knew you for years.

We had anytime dining for the first time in awhile and each time we came to the MDR, we were still made to feel special and connected with our wait staff each time. We also met many couples on board who were having a great time too!

We did the Chef's Dinner for the first time this cruise and it is not to be missed by anyone who loves to experiment with food. You have to have an open mind and love to try anything for true enjoyment. The Chef and Matrie D spent the entire dinner with us and covered each dish and why he made it the way he did. He also told us how to eat our appetizers to truly enjoy the flavors. We were treated like rock stars all evening. What a treat and well worth $95 PP.

We are so happy that Princess has upped their game since 2008. Cannot wait to sail with them in the future.

Ray

We also experienced some less than pleasant smells - when we first boarded, everyone in our group, four cabins, experienced a slight outhouse smell in the bathrooms. We were mid ship, Caribe. It hung around, but I think we just got used to it so it stopped bothering us.

I now understand why everyone goes on about the Caribe deck. Loved it!

We were also mid-aft Caribe deck, so it was the same smell. We made note of of it in our comments, and passenger services called us to ask to let us know when it happens again so they could come out and investigate at the time, but towards the end of the cruise, we didn't notice it again. DW packs a can of Glade spray and it got well used.

Also, Tom Franek in Crooners. We had to have our martinis either very late or very early. Each time we headed there right after dinner, the place was packed and spilling out into the Piazza.

Tom Franek was amazing! I also really enjoyed the comedian/magician (who's name escapes me right now).

I agree with the above comments- excellent cruise. I really enjoyed this itinerary. It's a shame that princess is dropping this itinerary next month. I guess in the future we may have to look at the emerald's/Royal's 10 day southern Caribbean cruises instead.

Thank you so much for your posting. We leave on the Crown Saturday. Our second time on the crown and our 5th Princess cruise. I have to say I have been a bit nervous reading some of the negative reviews. Love to see all these positives. Especially about the food. I am foodie, so that's important to me. Would love to hear any foods that you would say are a must try!

Thanks again.

Tom Franek was amazing! I also really enjoyed the comedian/magician (who's name escapes me right now).

I agree with the above comments- excellent cruise. I really enjoyed this itinerary. It's a shame that princess is dropping this itinerary next month. I guess in the future we may have to look at the emerald's/Royal's 10 day southern Caribbean cruises instead.

The Magician/Comedian's name was Chris James - we did enjoy him very much. He mentioned he was going on America's Got Talent, so we hope to see him do well on that!

Thank you for your thoughts. I look forward to seeing your comments on the ports. I would like to do this cruise. I haven't checked to see if Princess is doing again late this year or next year though.

I believe Princess is ending this cruise when the Crown heads to California. The only Princess options for the southern Caribbean are the 10 day cruises (on the Emerald this year and the Royal next fall/winter).

The Magician/Comedian's name was Chris James - we did enjoy him very much. He mentioned he was going on America's Got Talent, so we hope to see him do well on that!

Yes, Chris James! Thank you. I don't watch America's got talent, but may have to check it out when he's on there!

That's too bad if Princess doesn't do this itinerary next winter. It's our favorite. We did a similar one first on HAL and then again on the Emerald Princess a couple of years ago. I almost booked it for our Christmas cruise last month but the Sunday departure of the Ruby worked out better for us.

My wife and I were also on this cruise. We loved the whole week onboard the Crown. Tom Franek sure was a fantastic piano entertainer. We saw him the first night in Crooners Bar before he got noticed. When he performed those three shows in the Princess Theater on Sunday night, he became the hottest act on the ship. All the entertainment on the ship was top notch that week. We also enjoyed the ventriloquist Patrick Murray with his puppet "Matilda", so funny! Here's a picture of Tom Franek performing in Crooners Bar. Can't wait to board the Crown in May for the "Wine Country Coastal" cruise up to Vancouver from Los Angeles.

232323232%7Ffp4386%3B%3Enu%3D6334%3E379%3E235%3EWSNRCG%3D39436%3B%3A859326nu0mrj

Hahahaha! We ran into Tom on the Lido deck while he was wearing that tie! We couldn't get into Crooners that night - too crowded after our late dinner.

I'm so happy you posted that picture! TY