Ever Been Fined For Smoking In Your Cabin?

kcwingwalker

None that I know of and the only ship one that has been investigated as "possibly" caused by a cigarette has been on a balcony. Far more ship fire have been linked to engine fires. hmmm hard to take a cruise without an engine.

Agreed. Totally silly rant his/her part that I didn't have time for the other day.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the cruise lines will never go to "non-smoking" until and unless they stop selling gobs of cartons of cigs onboard, and this will never happen, as long as people keep buying them and they are making a profit.

The rants by non-smokers are just silly. I, for one, am tired of sucking up to them.

So I guess what you all are saying is that it wouldn't have done any good for us to report the people next door for smoking cigars on their balcony every time they went out there? The smell made OUR balcony unusable a lot of the time.

The daily specified that cigarettes only we're allowed on balconies.

Edited by gooch47

So I guess what you all are saying is that it wouldn't have done any good for us to report the people next door for smoking cigars on their balcony every time they went out there? The smell made OUR balcony unusable a lot of the time.

Not what I'm saying at all. I believe it was somewhere in this thread that I stated I doubted the cabin steward would turn anyone in on their own unless someone in another cabin complained, then they would have to act on it or their job may be in jeopardy.

But the cigar smoker on the balcony would not be charged NCL's fine since it is only for smoking cigarettes in the cabin (you know for cleaning :eek:)

Whether NCL would actually act on it or not, who knows they don't apprear to enforce any other policy that I've ever seen. And even if you turned them in (unless you wanted to complain every day) you would never know whether those cabin passengers had been chastised or not since they may have been but decided to just ignore it. And unless it was complained about again, NCL would have no way of knowing that they were ignoring their policies again. Some people are just jerks plain and simple.

So yes it may have helped you to turn them in, but as I said as soon as the telephone was hung up from guest services or the room steward's supervisor left (or whoever they send to slap your hand), they could have either stopped their activities or decided to continue.

We had a similar experience in a hotel late one night with noise. We called the front desk, it wasn't long until we heard a knock on the next rooms door. it quieted down long enough for the desk person to get in the elevator and started up again. I gave up and tried to sleep through it with a pillow over my head.

Not necessarily. In spite of certain posts of mine, I happen to be a pretty considerate smoker and in your case, I think you should have made that call to the maitre d' hotel. Cigar smoking is a different animal, and on NCL at least, it's not clearly spelled out the same way as cigarettes...in my view, if you had made the call (hope you do in the future) they might have switched your cabin, or made the other people move.

In this case, I think it's good when smokers of all kinds, if they plan to smoke on their balconies, to try and get a balcony cabin as aft as possible. That way, the smoke is not drifting into someone else's cabin and is more likely just "off to sea", if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but realize that the vast majority of smoking passengers are not TRYING to be jerks...some are just thoughtless, others are ignorant of proper etiquette and still others are just plain stupid. (Stupid is to be pitied. LOL)

In any case, I'm a smoker, and I don't think I would have enjoyed smelling someone's cigar at night in my cabin, so I don't blame you on that one.

Not necessarily. In spite of certain posts of mine, I happen to be a pretty considerate smoker and in your case, I think you should have made that call to the maitre d' hotel. Cigar smoking is a different animal, and on NCL at least, it's not clearly spelled out the same way as cigarettes...in my view, if you had made the call (hope you do in the future) they might have switched your cabin, or made the other people move.

In this case, I think it's good when smokers of all kinds, if they plan to smoke on their balconies, to try and get a balcony cabin as aft as possible. That way, the smoke is not drifting into someone else's cabin and is more likely just "off to sea", if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but realize that the vast majority of smoking passengers are not TRYING to be jerks...some are just thoughtless, others are ignorant of proper etiquette and still others are just plain stupid. (Stupid is to be pitied. LOL)

In any case, I'm a smoker, and I don't think I would have enjoyed smelling someone's cigar at night in my cabin, so I don't blame you on that one.

I really appreciate this post, thank you! Very thoughtful and considerate to everyone. We are taking our first cruise since I've become a non-smoker and have booked a forward cabin with the same thought process as what you mention. If smokers could tend to book aft and non-smokers tend to book forward, that could be some good progress. I can also say that most non-smokers are not trying to be jerks (like you, I note most and not all LOL). Its a very tough situation and one that I have been on both sides of!

I really appreciate this post, thank you! Very thoughtful and considerate to everyone. We are taking our first cruise since I've become a non-smoker and have booked a forward cabin with the same thought process as what you mention. If smokers could tend to book aft and non-smokers tend to book forward, that could be some good progress. I can also say that most non-smokers are not trying to be jerks (like you, I note most and not all LOL). Its a very tough situation and one that I have been on both sides of!

God bless and peace to you. I hope you enjoy your first cruise! I'm sure you will and you will be hooked like the rest of us....if you booked your cabin far forward, I'm sure you will have little to no problem.

Patience, on both sides, goes a long way.

Thank you :) I am already hooked and NCL is my favorite by far. Its my first cruise only as a non-smoker. Hoping that the smokers and non-smokers can find their sweet spot on NCL, right now its not looking as promising as I'd like. Patience, fairness, and listening (not waiting for one's turn to talk) will be the solution.

Thank you :) I am already hooked and NCL is my favorite by far. Its my first cruise only as a non-smoker. Hoping that the smokers and non-smokers can find their sweet spot on NCL, right now its not looking as promising as I'd like. Patience, fairness, and listening (not waiting for one's turn to talk) will be the solution.

It's been my experience that smokers and non smokers on a cruise ship get along a lot better than they do here! :D I think it will be fine.

Although, how would they know you were smoking in your cabin? Probably smell it? That being the case if you were already caught what is saying that it was a new cigarette smell, that you were breaking the rule again.

Unless for some reason an adjoining cabin complained.

As for the review that you read this in. I didn't read it but that very well may not have happened at all, who knows.

Air vents on ships are connected so people in the surrounding cabins will smell it! So yes everyone around you will know that you are smoking in there and having to breath it in because it does travel.

I don't think I would depend on the "code of silence". Why should the steward jeopardize his job for a passengers convenience? If the housekeeper found that a steward was willing too overlook a blatant infringement of rules for a few $$$, I would expect he would be put off the ship.

As already said the rules have changed and so must we:)

Not advocating smoking in cabins or ignoring rules of ANY kind, but really, why is this one so different than any other? Is a crew member's job in jeopardy if they don't remove a towel from an empty deck chair after an hour? It's EXTREMELY unlikely that cabin stewards are ratting passengers out if they find contraband or observe passengers comitting other infractions. I image they would find it more threatening to their job security to offend passengers. As for the cruiseline itself, as we've all observed, many rules are only enforced in response to complaints from other passengers. Trying to please at least some of the people all of the time and not tick anybody off unless it's unavoidable....

They didn't need to move her cabins or make the other people move, cigar smoking is against policy on balconies.

Air vents on ships are connected so people in the surrounding cabins will smell it! So yes everyone around you will know that you are smoking in there and having to breath it in because it does travel.

OK for the record, please read the beginning of that post. I am a rule follower and therefore would never smoke in a cabin if it was against policy as it is on NCL.

Secondly I was speaking about "how would anyone know it was your cabin", unless they smelled it in your cabin and reported it. And if all cabins are connected as you say then you wouldn't know which cabin it was coming from which would make it difficult for you to report it. Except to say someone was smoking and it was coming through the vents.

Nor does it state that you cannot smoke in a bathroom or the MDR, but NCLs policy states pretty clearly where smoking IS allowed. If a cabin is not on the list, then smoking is not allowed. The smoking policy would be pretty long if they had to list every place smoking is NOT allowed.;)

Don't they sum it up by stating no smoking in public rooms?

Don't they sum it up by stating no smoking in public rooms?

My response was to a comment that nowhere is it stated that you cannot smoke in your cabin, which is a private, not a public area. But the policy is clear on where it is allowed, and passenger cabins are not on the list.

Edited by punkincc