Cruise ship tours in Rome

doctor4kydz

Looks like Celebrity offers 2 fairly comprehensive tours in Rome, each approx. 10.5 hrs. in length, which include lunch. Of the two, one is geared towards a smaller group of approx. 26 people, but it's also considerably more expensive.

Has anyone taken either of these tours? One is called "Exclusive Best of Rome" for $349. The other is called "Rome the Eternal City" for $227.

Both tours seem to cover the same ground. The main difference between the two tours seems to be the group size.

We did a private tour in Rome so can't comment on the ship excursions there. I do know from past experience that large groups tend to cover less ground because you only go as fast as the slowest person. For us, personally, the smaller group would be preferable. Be sure to go to your roll call to see about connecting with others on your cruise. We connected with several other couples and booked private excursions that saved us a considerable bit of money.

We did the Best of Rome and absolutely loved it. Our guide actually worked on the excavation of old Rome (Julius Caesar etc.) and also the Vatican. A long day for sure but it went very fast. The lunch was also first class.

I personally recommend going to Rome on your own, on the train, 12 euros/pp, and I can outline exactly what order to see: the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon (great lunch site #1), Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps (great lunch site #2) and Vatican Square and the basilica and back to the train station for the ride back to port.

We've done this exact itinerary on multiple trips. Now, I understand that's not for everyone, but it is a wonderful way to see Rome at ground level, for a pittance, and have a wonderful day.

Otherwise, I recommend teaming up with members of your roll call for a tour in a group of 8-10 max. Ship tours are a) overpriced; b) overcrowded, c) way too slow, d) way too geared to 'shopping stops' where the cruiseline makes a kickback, e) run at the pace they choose, rather than at YOUR preferred pace. Never hurts to stop for a coffee or a gelato while you're visiting, but there's often zero opportunity to deviate from the set tour. AND let me reiterate that you move at the pace of the slowest, latest, most inconsiderate member of the group.

Now! Let me tell you how I REALLY feel!!;)

We did the exclusive Best of Rome. Our group was small (24) and our van was much smaller than the big busses so we didn't have parking issues. We were able to cover a lot of ground and yes the lunch is top notch. The guide was wonderful. The difference really showed when we took a larger group tour in another port. You can also hire a private car or van from Celebrity. It is very expensive, but we did it in St. Petersburg and Berlin and it was great.

Dr4: Sorry to say, but you have to face the truth about ship tours. They are always more expensive and offer the least value for what you pay. They are a huge profit center for the ships! So you pay for the tour + the ship's profit.

At the prices you gave, there is no way that you should be in a group of 26 people.

So, either go the least expensive ship tour route to save money and take the cheaper "big bus" tour realizing that you will move slow, see less and be in a big crowd OR arrange your own private tour. FORGET about a private car & driver thru the ship....again way too expensive because the ship gets a big cut.

Someone recommended RomeCabs which I have not used but see they get good reviews here. I have used Romeinlimo and they were great. Go to their websites and you will see that these companies specialize on private tours for ship passengers. Make the leap and go for it...Get away from ship tours!

If the cost of these private tours is too high to do with just your traveling party, go to your roll call thread and get another couple or two to split the cost. You won't be sorry.

That expensive ship tour is the least value of all options!

Good luck and enjoy Rome. It has so much to see!

I personally recommend going to Rome on your own, on the train, 12 euros/pp, and I can outline exactly what order to see: the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon (great lunch site #1), Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps (great lunch site #2) and Vatican Square and the basilica and back to the train station for the ride back to port.

We've done this exact itinerary on multiple trips. Now, I understand that's not for everyone, but it is a wonderful way to see Rome at ground level, for a pittance, and have a wonderful day.

Otherwise, I recommend teaming up with members of your roll call for a tour in a group of 8-10 max. Ship tours are a) overpriced; b) overcrowded, c) way too slow, d) way too geared to 'shopping stops' where the cruiseline makes a kickback, e) run at the pace they choose, rather than at YOUR preferred pace. Never hurts to stop for a coffee or a gelato while you're visiting, but there's often zero opportunity to deviate from the set tour. AND let me reiterate that you move at the pace of the slowest, latest, most inconsiderate member of the group.

Now! Let me tell you how I REALLY feel!!;)

I second this recommendation!

We did Rome on our own and loved that we could see things at our own pace. We visited the Roman Forum, did an underground tour of the Colosseom, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain. Total spent was around 80€ for the two of us.

If you are not comfortable doing it on your own then join your roll call to join up with others on a private tour.

We did a private tour in Rome, RomeinLimo, and loved it. Instead of big busses with 45 people that can't navigate many of the small streets in Rome, you get a 8 person minivan with experienced drivers. Also much cheaper. Go to the Roll Call boards to join a group.

That being said, we think we would do it on our own the second time, but happy we had a guide our first time.

We did Rome in Limo last fall for Rome, Naples and Florence. They were fabulous. Great drivers, great personalities. They will be waiting for you at the ship and will show you the best time. Cannot say enough nice things about our excursions.