Weather & Seas

JeweliM

We are leaving from Bayonne on the Explorer on Jan 31st for the eastern Caribbean. We've done this cruise before- but during the summer. We are wondering:

* What will the weather be like for the first few days? When will it get warmer?

* Is the sailing choppy during the winter months on the trip down? We experienced smooth waters on the summer cruise.

Would appreciate any comments/thoughts. Thanks.

We are going no matter what the answers though!

Jeweli M

I did this itinerary mid-February a few years ago. The first day was cold, but sunny. By the afternoon of day 2 it began to get warmer - we were south of the Carolinas. The seas are choppy exiting NY harbor and the northeast; 3-4 foot swells = enough to notice motion, but not significant movement. As with the cold, the sea eventually calmed as we reached warmer water. I suppose it's "the luck of the draw" with the weather, though....

It's anyone's guess. I'm sailing on her today I expect the first two days to be cold. I don't think the Captain will let us out on decks until the snow is gone. With the snowstorm, I'm expecting it to be a bit rough until we get further south. We're expecting really cold weather 40 years ago, it was almost tropical temps. I remember as it was just before my wedding.

Never sailed out of Bayonne in the winter months.

Sailed out of New York/New Jersey area several times in the early spring, we found the ocean is usually calmer the second sea day and the weather starts to warm up.

Today there is a snow storm coming through with the heaviest snow falling later this afternoon into the morning. With wind chill the temps will feel like zero or below.

Hope everyone is able to arrive on time and safely, the local airports already have several dozen flights cancelled and not one snow flake has fallen.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are leaving from Bayonne on the Explorer on Jan 31st for the eastern Caribbean. We've done this cruise before- but during the summer. We are wondering:

* What will the weather be like for the first few days? When will it get warmer?

* Is the sailing choppy during the winter months on the trip down? We experienced smooth waters on the summer cruise.

Jeweli M

We're on that cruise, too! I've posted similar questions on the Roll Call and it sounds like layers are in order for the first day or two. I can't wait to get out of this frigid weather!!

I'm hoping for smooth sailing but am going to be prepared for rough seas, just in case!

Hope to see you on the ship!

Karen

Nobody can possibly predict the weather with any accuracy for a cruise happening this far in advance. But it will be cold until you get farther south, that much is true.

As to the seas, they might be calm, or they might be rough, but there is no way that anyone could possibly know at this point.

Jeweli M

Bring warmer clothes for the first and last 2 days of the sailing. Once you hit the Carolina's it should get better but remember the whole east coast down to Florida are experiencing colder than usual temps. Any day at sea is better than any day at home! Have a great time!

Thanks to all who responded.

We live in northern NJ- and are experiencing another wicked snowstorm as I write this. I cannot wait to just relax- hopefully in warmer weather asap. But I can relax anywhere as long as I am on the Explorer.

Will pack layers definitely along with the shorts!

When we married, there was a "January thaw" at the end of the month. I'm hoping that 35 years later, it will be the same.

Thanks again.

Jewelim

PS: Will keep my fingers crossed for us Karen!

Thanks to all who responded.

We live in northern NJ- and are experiencing another wicked snowstorm as I write this. I cannot wait to just relax- hopefully in warmer weather asap. But I can relax anywhere as long as I am on the Explorer.

Will pack layers definitely along with the shorts!

When we married, there was a "January thaw" at the end of the month. I'm hoping that 35 years later, it will be the same.

Thanks again.

Jewelim

PS: Will keep my fingers crossed for us Karen!

We are in bergen county. What a mess the weather is. I bet you can't wait to get on the ship!

Is the sailing choppy during the winter months on the trip down?

This link will give you offshore marine forecasts for the east coast.

Wind speed, wind direction, and wave heights (no temperature).

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/wrdoffmz.htm

The closer to your departure date you check this, the more accurate

the forecast will be. You'll get an idea of how rough/calm it will be before

you get out on the ocean.