Latex allergy

I'd like info from anyone who has traveled Royal Caribbean with a latex allergy. I have spoken with them and they have assured me no latex gloves will be used anywhere around me, or in food prep. My concern is for balloons. They said that they are used and to speak to them once we get on board regarding their use. They were not sure if they would agree to not use any balloons on the cruise, but would be able to tell me where they were so I could avoid going in that room. I'm a bit concerned with that. Has anyone dealt with this?

well they cannot prohibit anyone else from buying them(or having them onboard at all). They tend to be on displays and with the fresh flowers that are set up outside the MDR for formal night purchases.

otherwise they are used for in room decorations. they can easily be avoided.

I have a Latex allergy as well. I have Never had any issues being in the same room as balloons, just can't touch them. BUT, I always carry a supply of benadryl with me at all times, even at Home or when going a shore.

Most food restaurants have started using plastic or vinyl gloves for food prep around here in Chicago.

Deb

Sent from my Xperia using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately there are a growing number of us who worked in health care who have latex allergies and suffer from life threatening reactions to latex, the worst being balloons. When balloons are inflated the powder on them is released into the air making it impossible for us to go near them without our airways swelling closed. Several states now have legislation to prohibit the use of latex balloons in public places. Of course I always wear epi pens, but would rather not have to spend my time in the ship medical facility having had to use them!

Two answer a couple questions....it would be impossible to ask that there not be any balloons anywhere on ship due to other passengers who would be out of the control of the ship. I would hope that the ship would either tell me in advance where they will place balloons, or discontinue using them during that cruise. Like I said, several states in the US are currently attempting to make it illegal to have them in public places. On board ships will be another issue as they govern themselves!

The other question, no I do not need to come in contact with the balloons to react. Balloons which have been blown up have powder inside and outside of the balloon which is released into the air when blown up. (this powder is like the powder inside latex gloves) The powder remains in the air for up to 48 hours. I'm not unusual in my reaction...unfortunately an increasing number of us who worked in emergency medicine (in hospital and in the field) have life threatening allergies to latex due to the gloves and products we used for years to save lives. Now our lives are in danger.