FOS Cabin type

StorkRN

Going on FOS on 4/6-4/13. I have a D1 balcony Connected to an inside. There are only 2 sets of cabins like this and they are both aft on deck 9. Has anyone ever stayed in these cabins on FOS & if so, what is your opinion? Because they are the very last cabins aft I know the walk is gonna probably be long... I had heard about a stairwell back there that took you up to the dining rooms, but it was crew stairs... but the guests at the back of the ship were using it. I know there is a cabin review board, but my cabin #'s are not there....so taking a chance here! Thanks!

I doubt that it is routine for guests to use crew stairwells, so I would not depend on that. Also, the Windjammer (buffet) entrance on deck 11 is right near the guest elevator lobby, so I don't think the crew stairwell would help with Windjammer. The Main Dining Rooms are down on decks 3, 4, and 5, and those guest entrances are also near the guest elevator lobby.

I would plan on walking to the guest elevator lobby on your deck whenever you want to go someplace.

Edited by clarea

We have stayed in those cabins on FOS. Pack comfy shoes because as you've noticed it is a bit of a long walk to the elevators/stairs. We did not notice or use crew stairs. If the price was right we would book them again -- it's a cost savings over 2 balcony cabins. The balcony has a small extra cubby area due to the shape of the ship structure. Not useful for sitting unless you're a child - we stored our coffee table out there. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We stayed in these cabins on Adventure - loved them. The walk was a little long, but it was a great set up. Would book these every time, but now we are a family of 5 and they max out at 4. The similar balcony connected to oceanview in the front of the ship are much pricier.

One of my theories of cruise travel is that if a door is open, the space is fair game. That resulted in my entry into a stairwell between 9 and 10 on Independence that seemed to be convenient for transit between our cabin near the hump on 9 and our friends aft on 10. I noticed it was not nearly as well appointed as the normal stair cases -- no carpet, all tile and no art or paneling. About 2 steps into the space, a voice [whose owner I don't recall seeing] inquired if I were crew or a guest. After answering truthfully, I was invited to leave the area. Moral of the story is, there is a crew only stairwell back there [it shows up as a blank space on the deck plans]. It is rarely open but if it is, you might get to use it. But if you run into any crew members, you will probably be asked to leave.

We stayed AFT on deck 8 in 8412 on FOS. I didnt think the walk was long at all. Our 11 year old would run down and beat us to the room. It took him about 30 seconds. He would rip up the towel animal before we got to the cabin.

I think I remember noticing those rooms on deck 8 too and thought that is great for families.

You will do great. No worries.

What I like about being AFT is that the WJ/kids Club/ and H2O Zone are AFT. Getting to the promanade was no problem either. The AFT elevator will take you right down. My 11 year old love the pizza at Sorrentos and it is right there too.

If you have kids, staying AFT is better. If not, I think staying forward is good. The Solarium is in the front and the theatre is too.

I think we will continue to stay AFT for our family.