dont read this

Hi geomagot

Love your "tantrum". I'm going nowhere other than popping over to Island Cruises now again. It's about time it was acknowledged that it is part of Thomson as well. In fact, our last cruise in September was on IE and was better run than the ships sailing under the Thomson banner.:eek:

Hi skioncruises I agree with that, our week on IE last April was one of our best holidays ever and we have travelled extensively, only not experienced cruising until 2010.

Edited by barnowl1950
missing word

Thanks Jules.

I knew about both groups, and I am suprised how busy the closed one is.

Hmm, maybe I will create an alias after all....:rolleyes:

As you say the Thomson run one is just an advert for them, I have looked in from time to time.

All the main Fred board contributors are probably on the world cruise.

It isn't that easy to post pics on here, and that's probably one of the reasons that FB is more popular.

Linda, I hope those who post on "the dark side" have a tin hat ready;)

Even if I do pop up on FB, I would not desert here.

To give you an example Joe, someone questioned 2 hours ago on FB what was the best show they had seen on a Thomson ship & so far it has attracted 65 replies!

So, sometimes it is just a small random comment which can result in lots of comments in return; other times maybe only 3 or 4 replies or sometimes, like here, the thread may go on for days!

The disadvantage as some of us said earlier with the threads, once read & if no more comments, they drop away - you could search for them but because there are so many it could take you forever to find them!

Edited by Julessmiles

ps when did anyone on this this kind forum last write a letter to someone

not e-mail :eek: ?

think about it

Stevie:)

Well, I wrote one just before Christmas to a friend in Swansea, who sadly had a stroke 2 years ago and cannot use the phone now, due to her speech being quite bad, but must admit I don't write many letters :o

To give you an example Joe, someone questioned 2 hours ago on FB what was the best show they had seen on a Thomson ship & so far it has attracted 65 replies!

So, sometimes it is just a small random comment which can result in lots of comments in return; other times maybe only 3 or 4 replies or sometimes, like here, the thread may go on for days!

The disadvantage as some of us said earlier with the threads, once read & if no more comments, they drop away - you could search for them but because there are so many it could take you forever to find them!

With my memory, Julie, I have to note things down I want to remember on FB. :(. On CC I email the thread to myself. :)

Very good thread Geo,

I'm one who tried fb but found unless something was going on while you were actually logged in it was very hard to follow, and I didn't like all the emails.:eek:

I will stick around on here.........whether you want me or not.:p:D

Vera, you can block the emails, but I agree it is hard to follow, unless you are on there all day :eek:

I use e mail like I do a letter, Stevie, in fact I use my phone in the same way as I write letters, fully punctuated, paragraphed etc. much to my daughter's amusement. I draw the line with phones at the dinner table.
As you know,Eleanor, my daughter is an ex English teacher and always sends grammatically correct texts :D

Keep up the good work you guys! I first discovered CC when we had booked to go to Alaska with Holland America and it was invaluable for finding out all sorts of stuff, both about the ship and the ports.

Being American their board is way busier than the Thomson one, but last year when we booked for March on the Majesty I started looking at the Thomson board.

Yes, it's much quieter but still an excellent way of finding out things, and I might not have asked many questions but I have still picked u a lot of information.

So, as I say keep up the good work and don't desert CC.

I'm not a fan of FB by the way, was on it before but my account got 'compromised' and I closed it. Far to much personal info given away on there. IMO

Hi folks,

Hope your all well and good post Geo and hope the tree is now removed from your window ;).

As most have said they are going nowhere even if they do use FB and fair play to them who use

it, no probs .

I personally feel no use for it unlike Mrs Kalos who types away on it like a demented demon at times

as does other members of my family .

They have shown FB to me on several times but I fail to get hooked on it , other members of my family

do things like read a post a bit like Geo's which reads .." A tree fell through my window !" and some nutter

goes and "likes" the post :eek:... Like what.. the tree through the window ? does it go with the curtains ? beyond me .

As some point out security could be an issue ... I had to pull a mates family after they had put photos of their kids

with names and even which school they go to .... Far to much info ...they saw the risk and removed it I'm pleased to say .

Not for one second am i saying anyone on here with face book would do such things just my outlook upon FB :).

I do read the ".uk" site from time to time but am not a member of any other site ...Again my take on them are they can be

informative but I get a lot of members seem to nit pick at each other for trivial reasons which just makes your heart sink .

They can even be funny at times .I was reading one on the other site and worked out from the post that our beloved

Kruzze was posting a query and a very helpful person advised her to write a review on her cruise !

Asking our Kruzze to write a review was like inviting Mike Tyson to take up boxing . If he/she only knew , it amused me .

Then our site ..What can I say ..it's got a good crowd and yes some come and go and it was just reading that got

me to be a member of CC and take my first real cruise on the Destiny . Funny thing is more I tried to research that

ship the more search engines like Google put me right back onto this site.

This time of year can be quiet on here and is usually filled with daft stuff that a few of us write or post a film even

a picture just to keep things light hearted until something comes our way that takes our intrest again .

We get newbies and help them as much as possible even if the question has been asked time and time again .

My only gripe is now and again I see a question asked and you lovely lot answer only for them to dissapear never to post

again without as much as a thanks for all the help you lot have given them ,

Then the bit that sets you apart is the great empathy we have when one of us has a loss or illness in our lives your

support to each other is second to non .. just like one big family ,looking out for one and each other .. your a good crowd

peeps and long may it continue .

thank-you-feather-pen-ag1.gif Kalos

lovely thoughts kalos....thank you

and you lurkers too....good to see you:cool::cool:

yep...agree wholeheartedly, we have a great community going here...long may it continue

(the tree is now in handy sized logs and I have rehomed the squirrels...ms magot now has a new warm fluffy winter coat too....just a co-incidence)

I don't do fb or any other group I love it on here, and apologies geomagot, I meant to say thanks for your recent advice and pics of poisonous caterpillars and plants in Dominica and don't think I did...appreciated that very much :)

I've saved that thread :)

Well according to the great many of responses to this since you posted, there are many members still on here as well as fb. I suppose the advantage of fb is that you can hold a conversation espec if someone replies straightaway. Isn't CC linked to Trip Advisor? the reason I ask is that we put a couple of reviews on Trip Advisor about our cruises. They later were taken of and automaticaly added here. I don't think TA deals with cruises.

I've saved the Dominica thread too, Nell.

I found this site through searching for Destiny on Trip Ad. so must be "related".

Lovely words, Kalos, we have some talented and interesting writers on this forum. And usually grammatically correct, Linda and Nell. :):D

Well, I get pitiful looks from DH, as I sit with my iPad on my knee, tapping away, and now that I have discovered that my annual Ancestry subscription is about to run out, I will have to restrict my time on both CC and FB so that I discover more of my family tree before I have to pay again. :eek:

kalos - you are so perceptive ;)

This has been a very heartening thread.... so many lovely posts and so many still there! Keep up the good work everyone and here's to lots of great future cruises for everyone, plenty of interesting feedback, news and views, great support and continued friendship from a fab group. :)

I only joined this forum last March but had been reading it long before that. I don't post very often as I feel most people know more about cruising than I do but I do like when someone asks a question I can answer! The first thing I do after switching my iPad on in the morning is read new posts on here and on Facebook. I have learned so much from both. Haven't booked a cruise for this year yet as we can't decide which one we want to do but I am sure I will find plenty of information and advice on here when we do.

Well, I get pitiful looks from DH, as I sit with my iPad on my knee, tapping away, and now that I have discovered that my annual Ancestry subscription is about to run out, I will have to restrict my time on both CC and FB so that I discover more of my family tree before I have to pay again. :eek:

Hi Jackie. You have just reminded me! My Ancestry ran out in November, so I upgraded to international for a month, but still not changed it back:eek: just paid deposit on May holiday, so better check the finances :D

Ow Geo, never thought of myself as a lerker but I obviously am! I read most nights after work around this time, but with a full time job and 3 hrs plus travel time have been happy to look and learn. So sorry,will add my 2 pence from time to time, but not for the next couple of weeks, off on the dream again on Sunday, big smiles! Geo and the gang, thanks for being here, smiles.

Thank you for starting such an interesting debate on CC. There are many things I'd like to say and as I've been reading thought the comments, I've been trying to make a mental note of them so I don't forget...so here goes...

My first comment is that I had no idea there was a FB account...but it seems as though this is just for Thomson and not CC... I do use FB but mainly for keeping in contact with family members who live elsewhere in the UK, so this is the easiest way...

My second comment is about the quietness of the boards... I tend to go straight to the roll call for the cruise I'm booked on, and admit not to looking elsewhere for discussion groups...but that's generally because I have pages and pages of posts to read through...but this leads onto my first gripe, so apologies if you don't agree with me, but I do find the constant postings of information about trips and the matching up of passengers to share transfers or taxis on the roll call, quite boring. I'm more interested in finding out about the passengers I'm going to be on holiday with, rather than where they are staying and who wants to share a transfer. I noticed this more on the last roll call for a RCCL cruise we did last May and in the end I didn't register for the Meet and Mingle because I didn't feel like I'd connected with anyone on the board first...and the one I'm on now is going the same way and it's a real shame. The first and second time we'd cruised on RCCL Independence, I spent night after night reading the comments on the board and sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, got to know some of my fellow passengers...and after convincing my DH to attend the M n M, we made friends with a couple who we still have contact with over 5 years on. This is what I feel CC is all about.

I agree that the posts are very informative and so if you find out some info without posting first, then you don't need to do anything further...apart from maybe commenting that you found it of use? I know after our first couple of cruises I found the CC site and it was invaluable for the silly little questions I had going around my head...and posters were amazing with the knowledge they have. I must admit, I miss those posts.

I did temporarily move over to a P&O forum, for a cruise one December as the one on CC did seem to be a bit quiet, but I ended up coming back to CC, but still kept an eye on the P&O one too....as you do.

I have posted on the roll call for our next cruise when it was first set up, but haven't done so recently because it's all about trips/transfers and I feel I've nothing to contribute...we do tend to pay the ships prices on trips (I know, don't all hate me for it) but we like the peace of mind booking an organised trip brings, plus generally the port stops are the first time in that particular country, so we're not prepared to chance it...but that's our choice, but with the way the roll call goes, there's no real opportunity to start up a conversation about something other than trips/transfers. I am sure that those posting about them, do get a lot out of the board, but I feel that others like me who just want a bit a general "get to know you chat", find it a little off putting and the board then becomes less of a go-to point for information. I am not having a dig at anyone for this, but after initially loving the CC boards for the excited buildup to a cruise, it has left me feeling a little like the odd one out and so I don't post like I used to...but this is my honest opinion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app