Brisbane

MikieF

Just curious…Has anyone been to…and can recommend (or not) Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo in Brisbane? How might that compare to Lone Pine?? IF you recommend either, can you also recommend a private tour excursion for a small group (4-6) of people? Thanks much!

No idea on Lone Pine......Steve Irwins zoo is a very nice location. ...but you need a lot longer than the ship allows you....they only give you about 3 hours there if you are lucky.... the reason for this they told us was traffic...delays coming back to the ship in peak hour. There we're many cranky folk on our tour when they abd us realized how little time we had....It was a expensive tour as well

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

The zoo actually isn't in Brisbane, it's on the Sunshine Coast and approximately a 1 hour trip from Brisbane depending on traffic. If the traffic co-operates, it's a relatively easy run. If you do go, don't leave it until the last minute to get back to the ship in case you come across a traffic jam.

I'm sorry, I can't help with comparisons as we have only recently moved here from Sydney so have lots of new places to explore. I hope someone else can help you out in this respect.

Actually, I was just thinking that DH and I could go today and let you know what we thought but it's too hot to go wandering around a zoo and it's also the last week of the school holidays so would most likely be more crowded. Perhaps we will go next week.

I'll keep you posted so to speak:)

Just curious…Has anyone been to…and can recommend (or not) Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo in Brisbane? How might that compare to Lone Pine?? IF you recommend either, can you also recommend a private tour excursion for a small group (4-6) of people? Thanks much!

The Australia Zoo and Lone Pine are two completely different types of zoo. Australia Zoo is quite expansive and contains a vast array of exhibits and shows. It is however, as already said, some ways out of Brisbane (1 - 1.5hrs) but the highway is now a lot better than in the past. Nevertheless, because of the ever present risks of delays it would be a wise move to take a Ships arranged excursion, even though they are somewhat expensive.

Lone Pine is on the Brisbane River in a small suburban enclave. It is actually a Koala sanctuary and there (unlike many other places) you can also cuddle the animals and have photos taken. There are numerous other animals to see including emus, kangaroos wallabies etc.

To get to Lone pine you can catch a ferry, a cab or even a council bus. All these leave from different places within the CBD...and many ships now visiting Brisbane (especially those over 260metres long) dock at the Grain Terminal which is an industrial area some 30 odd Klms from the city. There is no public transport and only a ships shuttle to take you anywhere -- although there is an occasional cab.

You are right in thinking that a private tour would be best. I personally organised one for over 30 pax on Solstice last year...and although it was a rewarding experience, and I believe everyone got extreme value for money, I have no ambitions of doing it again.

There are others that do.... and this is a site that I used when preparing for my little venture last year. I am sure someone here will be able to help you further.

http://tourguides.viator.com/Listing.aspx?Country=Australia&Region=Queensland&City=Brisbane

cheers

We docked at the Grain terminal last year and there were plenty of taxis available but it's an expensive exercise and getting back to the grain terminal presents problems too. We rang for a cab and the cab company didn't know where it was and the driver didn't either. Perhaps in the last 12 months this has changed as more ships dock there but it is a long way from anywhere. Hopefully you will be lucky and the tides will be right and you will dock at Portside which is much more civilised!

Flipper is right, a ship's excursion is probably best. We make the trip to and from Brisbane every week and not in peak hours but the road is still very busy. Last week there was a crash on the north bound side and the traffic was at a standstill for kilometres. Luckily I was heading south:D. At least if you are on ship sponsored excursion and this happens, the ship will wait.

DH and I will still visit the zoo probably next week and let you know what we think.

Just a thought if you are also visiting Sydney:

Unless you gave your heart set on visiting Steve Irvin's "shrine", so to speak and stock up on Crocodile Hunter memorabilia in any way, shape or form (including the Bindi collection, of course), Sydney's Taronga Park zoo is sensational and just a 20-minute ferry ride from the cruise ship port.

:)

Thank you all for your responses!

Bronte2, I will keep an eye on this board incase you are able to get to Lone Pine before too long and are able to give a report.

buchhalm…We have done SYD's Taronga Park….loved it! We have no special affinity for gathering Irwin memorabilia…and would prefer to skip some of the horrendous traffic stories about which we are reading!

Our ship, the Ocean Princess is a little gal, and will be docking at Portside Wharf. We were glad to recently read this…It should open up our ability to get around a bit more. It would be fun to take a boat to Lone Pine. Guess I need to read up on that!!

Thank you all for your responses!

Bronte2, I will keep an eye on this board incase you are able to get to Lone Pine before too long and are able to give a report.

buchhalm…We have done SYD's Taronga Park….loved it! We have no special affinity for gathering Irwin memorabilia…and would prefer to skip some of the horrendous traffic stories about which we are reading!

Our ship, the Ocean Princess is a little gal, and will be docking at Portside Wharf. We were glad to recently read this…It should open up our ability to get around a bit more. It would be fun to take a boat to Lone Pine. Guess I need to read up on that!!

Are you sailing this year? If so, it seems we are on the same cruise.

Yes, Ocean Princess leaving SYD on Mar. `17…to Singapore. Will we see you then??

You most certainly will. Sorry I didn't notice you had the cruise listed under your signature. :D

If you are interested there is a roll call for the Sydney to Singapore sector and another one for the Singapore to Cape Town sector.

bronte 2…Yes, we see that we will all cruise together! We have gotten on the roll call several times, but haven't let Aussie Gal know our cabin number yet…oh, well! We look forward to seeing you then! :))

• 4 weeks later...

I live on the Gold Coast right near Brisbane and we prefer lone pine to Australia zoo and it is far more affordable and would be especially more affordable than compared to Australia zoo due to distance. My advice unless you want more of the Irwin experience stick to lone pine koala sanctuary. You really can't afford time delays if you get stuck in traffic transiting to and from the Sunshine Coast Australia zoo, too stressful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This time last year I was on Celebrity Solstice. For our stop at Brisbane I had offered to some on our Roll Call to show them around. I was planning on hiring a people mover.... but it all got a bit overwhelming, and Flippers Brisbane Tour ended up with 35 people in a chartered Bne. Council Bus. I am certainly not planning on making a career of being a tour guide.:p

I mention this here because one of the main features of my tour was a visit to Lone Pine. Although I live in Brisbane, I still needed to do plenty of research. I can only say that the place seemed to very much meet everyone's expectations...even though it rained heavily for a time.

The place is affordable, compact yet well laid out, professionally developed and very accessible. It is possible to get there easily by bus, taxi or the ferry.

I would definitely recommend Lone Pine to any visitor, especially those from o/seas seeking to "cuddle" a koala.

cheers

I went to the Australia Zoo for Steve Irwin's birthday celebrations last year. I spent the whole day there and loved it, as there were lots of special activities on, and the family were there.

However, I wouldn't go on a day trip from a ship, as you wouldn't have long enough there.

If you would like to cuddle a koala, Lone Pine is the place to go.

BTW from Portside, you can catch a ferry into the city, which is the scenic way to go.

http://www.portsidewharf.com.au

click on "location" for transport options for indepenent travellers.