Help me choose

steve74

I'm considering the gem 12 day or the breakaway 12 day. Haven't sailed on Norwegian in 20 years been sailing mostly on rccl and carnival. The price difference is $1000 difference between the ships. I know the breakaway is newer and more Bells and whistles but is it worth 1000 more and both have the same exact 12 day itinerary. Thank you in advance for opions. Help me decide

Steve,

What is more important to you? Onboard entertainment/lots to do on the ship or the ports? If it is the ports and you really just want to use the ship to relax and eat, then the Gem will be ideal. If you want lots of entertainment and lots of different things to do onboard the ship, then choose the Breakaway. The Gem will be more low-key. The Breakaway will be more "Vegas". Both ships are great but for totally different reasons.

For getting to know NCL again, I'd definitely suggest first cruising on a non-megaship.

Gem is the newest of NCL ships before they started building megaships and I think that it can give you much better overall NCL experience when comparing NCL to other cruise lines - at least according on how people not familiar with NCL have written bad reviews about Breakaway and blame Freestyle for many of their grievances. ;)

Edited by Demonyte

Been on both.... Breakaway nice and brand new but went back to gem... Much more comfortable ship... Friendly staff.like the variety shows better than the " broadway productions" breakaway requires you to do more scheduling of your time... The gem is more " go with the flow" can decide what you want to do last minute.....and breakaway seems loud no matter where you go. Gem is more peaceful....

Been on both.... Breakaway nice and brand new but went back to gem... Much more comfortable ship... Friendly staff.like the variety shows better than the " broadway productions" breakaway requires you to do more scheduling of your time... The gem is more " go with the flow" can decide what you want to do last minute.....and breakaway seems loud no matter where you go. Gem is more peaceful....

I agree with what you're saying. I missed the nightly shows that was on the gem while sailing breakaway. I mean, how many times can a person really see rock of ages?? Although I like the breakaway a lot I like the gem just as much and would not hesitate to book it again.

I missed the nightly shows that was on the gem while sailing breakaway. I mean, how many times can a person really see rock of ages??

This I don't get, why on earth would somebody just go repeatedly to see one show when there are at least six different main entertainment options and several smaller shows, music performances, etc??

The main entertainment options on Breakaway according to dailies on Gambee's blog:

- Cirque Dreams

- Burn The Floor

- Howl At The Moon

- Second City

- Rock Of Ages

- Comedian/Magician

I would hardly say that this would be significantly less than on ships with traditional entertainment - it is just scheduled differently to accommodate larger number of passengers.

This I don't get, why on earth would somebody just go repeatedly to see one show when there are at least six different main entertainment options and several smaller shows, music performances, etc??

The main entertainment options on Breakaway according to dailies on Gambee's blog:

- Cirque Dreams

- Burn The Floor

- Howl At The Moon

- Second City

- Rock Of Ages

- Comedian/Magician

I would hardly say that this would be significantly less than on ships with traditional entertainment - it is just scheduled differently to accommodate larger number of passengers.

I can offer you some reasons why.

After you have seen Second City once, it's almost the same every time. We have had Second City as entertainment on at least 4 of the 5 cruises we have been on. Gets old quick!

Cirque Dreams can only be viewed while dining at the restaurant and paying $40. No main stage.

I don't recall the comedian/magician headlining an evening show while on the Breakaway. I would guess that we saw a 1pm performance.

Howl at the Moon was more of an after hours show, but they did have at least one earlier show that I can remember in the evening. Again, not a main stage show....it was always in the comedy club.

And please don't get me started on Fire and Ice. This was a pathetic duo, who you could see playing a show in some Vegas dive bar.

Now this being said, I had a wonderful cruise on the Breakaway. I did feel however, the entertainment was not as good as I have enjoyed on my 4 previous cruises aboard the Gem and the Star.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We have not cruised the Breakaway yet ( trying it in March) but we love the Gem and the size of the ship and she is getting a refurbishment November 2014

Do you know when this is scheduled? I was considering jumping from Grandeur to Gem for the Thanksgiving cruise (Nov 22, 2014).

I've been on the Breakaway and the Pearl (same class as the Gem) and prefer the Breakaway.

However, for $1000 difference I'd go on the Gem. I preferred the Breakaway but not that much. Save the money and spend it on something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for opions keep them coming so far me and the wife leaning towards the gem for the savings and the great things everyone is about the gem!!!!

My husband and I love both the Gem and the Breakaway but I think for us the price would be the clincher. The Gem has that wonderful aft deck "The Great Outdoors" a great place to have breakfast and lunch. I missed that while on the Breakaway. On the other hand, the Breakaway has that awesome Waterfront on deck 8 and that was really, really nice too. Eating dinner at Cagney's on the outside deck was awesome. We loved the Cirque Dinner Show on the Breakaway but the Gem has a great Cirque type of show in the showroom. The Breakaway does have more for very active cruisers to do , the rock climbing wall, the ropes, the plank, the slides etc. so if your adventurous you might like the Breakaway better. Its very hard because there both very nice ships. Last year the price of the Breakaway and the Gem for this winter were miles apart but the Breakaway's prices kept getting lower and lower so if your traveling in the winter that might be a consideration too. Good luck in your decision and remember you can change your mind before final payment and change your mind! hahaha