Need Help W/Caribbean Princess Excursions

NewCruiserMPC

One warning: bugs

We came back from the Alton Ha and river boat ride covered in bug bites. Whatever they were they took a tiny chunk of skin off you leaving a tiny bloody hole that turned bright red and itched like crazy.

But the river ride was one of the best wildlife viewings we have ever had. The ruins? Not so much. Lamanai was better. If you have back problems, the bus ride was really rough.

Belize: We quite liked the Altun Ha/Riverboat excursion. It is a long day, and does involve the types of things common on group tours--lots of lines, hurry up and wait, bus rides, etc. But it was well worth it, we decided. Our guide was very good; she kept things lively and organized, and kept up an interesting patter. Again, we were lucky with fabulous weather. Getting organized at the tourist pier took some time, but once we were in the boat and zipping through the water, we were quite happy. The boats are uncovered, so be prepared--it was sunny and very warm, so hats and sunscreen were a must for us. And hold onto your hats, too.

We saw a good variety of wildlife--dolphins, a brief look at a manatee nose, several crocs including a couple of nice big ones, iquanas, monkeys, and various birds. We really enjoyed the river tour and I had a lot of fun trying to spy animals before the guides. We stopped at a riverside place for lunch, chicken with rice and beans, and some salad. Then it was onto a bus for the ride to the ruins. I actually enjoyed the bus ride, as I was able to have a a little look at life in Belize. The ruins were pretty nifty, and impressive to us as we'd never visited Mayan ruins before. The site is relatively small and compact, and the footing pretty easy, so it's not a difficult hike for folks who may have mobility issues. We had a good look at the structures, but we didn't climb any; others did. The bus ride back to the city was a quieter affair, and we made it back in time for one of the last tenders.

Some things I wish we had done: bring cash, as there were folks selling crafts and things at the lunch spot and at the ruins. They were very willing to bargain. We should have brought a bottle of water, too--they did give us a bag of water, but it was tricky to open and drink from, and a bottle would have been easier. Also, be aware that the road to the ruin is rough--my husband has back issues, and he was hurting the next day. My only complaint is that I would have liked a little time to shop in the tourist village/pier area before heading back to the ship, but that's about it.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time and are as lucky with the weather as we were. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi there, can you tell me what the time was on your excursion? We booked the one for 8:15-2:15...i beleive i saw somewhere the last tender is 4 so I am curious as to why you didnt have time to shop?

Hi there, can you tell me what the time was on your excursion? We booked the one for 8:15-2:15...i beleive i saw somewhere the last tender is 4 so I am curious as to why you didnt have time to shop?

Not really much worth shopping for there.

01730305VendorsindocktouristareaBelizeCityM02-014_zpsfec1ce37.jpg

02030305Belizepharmacyindocktouristshops_zps92c49ced.jpg