South Pacific Islands

T&C Fulham

We are late entries into the world of cruising - bowled over by Seabourn and its ability to overcome all our (totally misinformed) cliche reticence to give it a try - after just one holiday.

We live in the UK and have travelled pretty extensively. We have been to all the countries in South America and done many flying eastwards to India and the Far East. Europe we know quite well and a Med cruise would be a waste of time now.

I've been fascinated by the names of those South Pacific islands. Honolulu, Bora Bora, Pago Pago and so on. They sound so interesting and romantic.

Sorry. We have no wish to travel round Australia. Nor New Zealand as the first thing people say it is like England sixty years ago (sixty years ago England was IMHO pretty grotty. No offence intended to NZ readers. I am sure it is lovely but....!)

Two, or at the most three, weeks away from home is about all we can manage (the goldfish gets hungry!!).

Is there something on the Seabourn menu I have missed and which might be worth a try.

Thanks in advance for any ideas that may surface.

Tony

We are late entries into the world of cruising - bowled over by Seabourn and its ability to overcome all our (totally misinformed) cliche reticence to give it a try - after just one holiday.

We live in the UK and have travelled pretty extensively. We have been to all the countries in South America and done many flying eastwards to India and the Far East. Europe we know quite well and a Med cruise would be a waste of time now.

I've been fascinated by the names of those South Pacific islands. Honolulu, Bora Bora, Pago Pago and so on. They sound so interesting and romantic.

Sorry. We have no wish to travel round Australia. Nor New Zealand as the first thing people say it is like England sixty years ago (sixty years ago England was IMHO pretty grotty. No offence intended to NZ readers. I am sure it is lovely but....!)

Two, or at the most three, weeks away from home is about all we can manage (the goldfish gets hungry!!).

Is there something on the Seabourn menu I have missed and which might be worth a try.

Thanks in advance for any ideas that may surface.

Tony

Tony

We are regular Seabourn travelers and love the luxury and attention to detail that Seabourn supplies. I am sure someone of your refined taste would enjoy it.

However I am saddened that someone who has also travelled the world as have we can cast judgement over somewhere you have never been. I know I might be biased but in all our travels we have never found anyone describe Australia as "grotty". Yes it is different to London, but I am very familiar with London and there are parts that are "grotty". But saying that I am not judging all of London by some small areas. Perhaps you might come down and experience Australia for yourself. If you do find it "grotty" I will certainly apologize.

Oh Dear, Peta,

I certainly did not intend to offend.

Firstly it was not Australia but New Zealand that I was comparing to immediately post war Britain. I know NZ looks lovely. I have seen Lord of the Rings. Please don't take me to task if that also insults - but I am told that the film shows some of it's loveliest scenery.

I am not sure if you are old enough to remember Britain in the immediate aftermath of WW2. It was in days before The Good Food Guide existed - or even needed to exist. I remember my father taking me to a shop the day after sweet rationing ended. Pubs closed at 10.00 pm and did not open on Sundays until 7.00 pm so as not to compete with Evensong. Sunday Night at the Paladium was a ground breaker when it started as television, under Lord Reith, was allowed to inform but not entertain. We still had petrol rationing. But we did take the car out for a drive on Sundays - even if we had nowhere to go.

Maybe I should have used the word grim rather than grotty. In fact that is what I started with and then swopped it. Yes, we had a good time - but that was more because we had good chums and little to do with the world around ut.

I am not saying that New Zealand is the same. I am saying almost all our friends who have been to NZ say it is just like Britain was sixty or so years ago. It may not be. I have only my friends to go on.

By contrast all the friends who told us we would not like cruising were friends who had never tried it. The few who had were the ones who opened our eyes and minds.

End of grovel about NZ....Now what about my strange sounding islands. It was Prickly Pear Island that seduced me into firming up on our last trip...

Tony

PS. I have two cousins living in Australia. Don't let them think I am calling them grotty please!!

Edited by T&C Fulham

To get back to the original question, we're looking for the same thing. This year on the World Cruise, the Sojourn sailed from LA to Hawaii to French Polynesia (to New Zealand, where we would actually like to visit someday), but apparently they aren't doing the World Cruise next year!

We'd love to go to French Polynesia on a cruise, and also we love Seabourn. I've read recent reviews that the Paul Gauguin isn't what it used to be. So what to do? I'm actually hoping that once Windstar gets the three small ships they will dedicate one to that area. It wouldn't be quite Seabourn, this is true, but if Seabourn is leaving that destination, what are the alternatives?

I've even looked at the Pacific Princess (which is one of their small, about 600 passenger ships).

We lived in London for 6 months 51 years ago and there war parts of it, especially around Russell Square, that were still bombed out. People were still talking about the war as if it had happened yesterday. The city was black with coal dust and "grotty" is one word you could have used to describe it. 10 years ago, we spent 3 weeks on the coast and in the interior of New Zealand. This was not through cruise, but a hiking trip that took in most of the South Island, including Christchurch and Milford Sound. We also took a private tour, with driver, in the Marlborough wine country. New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries we have visited (we have travelled extensively in most parts of the world) and the people are warm and friendly, the towns clean and charming. There is nothing about the country that reminded me of London, or, indeed, of England at all, with the possible exception of Christchurch, which is very like a small English city. If anything, we thought many of the towns in the interior of NZ would have been like small towns in California and other parts of the American West 60 or more years ago. Very simple, very quiet….lots of space. And it had a laid-back, California-like vibe.

Most probably I am late in learning that SB will not offer a World Cruise next year. Does anyone know why? Thanks Paula

Yes.

There are more guests wanting to do grand voyages (40 days or so) rather than a full world cruise.

Seabourn have done the numbers and they think that this suits the guests and the company.

I've heard excellent things about the Paul Gauguin (http://www.pgcruises.com/).

We have sailed on the Silver Shadow and the Paul Gauguin and, outside of both being all-inclusive, it is hard to compare them otherwise. Do look at prices, suite sizes, amenities and such on a 10 or 11 day PG sailing versus the 12 day Shadow sailing out of Papeete, and we believe you will find the Shadow is a far better value. Only wish Seabourn would let the Odyssey do a few cruises in that area (other than the World Cruise).

The PG has its own marina and when I was looking at them could SCUBA certify you. After my one Silversea cruise I would only recommend them to a certain type of person.

If you are very much into beaches, water sports, diving, snorkeling and ambitious tours on land and sea, the PG is a perfect (albeit overpriced) fit.

We have sailed on the Silver Shadow and the Paul Gauguin and, outside of both being all-inclusive, it is hard to compare them otherwise. Do look at prices, suite sizes, amenities and such on a 10 or 11 day PG sailing versus the 12 day Shadow sailing out of Papeete, and we believe you will find the Shadow is a far better value. Only wish Seabourn would let the Odyssey do a few cruises in that area (other than the World Cruise).

If you can handle a totally different approach to cruising, try googling Aranui 3. This ships sails two weekly tours from Papeete to the Marquesas Islands.

Thanks for the suggestions coming in. Most useful.

What now concerns me, as a Brit, is just how long it would take to get to the cruise and back.

I've just looked at Papeete and I'm seeing journey times of over a day and maybe up to two days. I am not sure my wife would survive that long locked up in an aluminium tube!!

Early research but can any other Brit comment?

Tony

To what "certain type of person" do you recommend Silversea? I ask because, after 3 wonderful cruises with Seabourn, we are looking into future Silversea and Regent cruises as well, mostly because of itinerary differences.

Compared to Crystal, Regent, and Seabourn it seemed Silverseas average passenger age skewed older and they were less active. While age was never an issue for me on the other lines it seemed to be on Silversea. They didn't seem to like having us "youngins" (25-35) around. There didn't seem to be as much socialization as on Crystal and Seabourn. I don't know if this is typical for them or I just ended up on a goofy cruise.

The dress code was much more formal than Regent and slightly more formal than Seabourn.

So if one were older and doesn't mind dressing up it's not a bad option.

Early research but can any other Brit comment?

Tony

Tony. as you are new to cruising I would probably get a few more popular trips under my belt

before doing the gruelling long haul travel bit.

The Med, Greek Islands,and Black Sea might fit the bill and I know that you have been looking at the Montreal voyage also.

plane travel is not great even for those of us able to fly first class or privately.

I would love to do the Papette trip but it is not easy from the UK

Tony. as you are new to cruising I would probably get a few more popular trips under my belt

before doing the gruelling long haul travel bit.

The Med, Greek Islands,and Black Sea might fit the bill and I know that you have been looking at the Montreal voyage also.

plane travel is not great even for those of us able to fly first class or privately.

I would love to do the Papette trip but it is not easy from the UK

fokeltje - Thank you for the thought about the Aranui 3, which is interesting indeed, but it is a bit more casual than what we look for.

As to UK-Papeete flights, they would be rather long but the least painless would be (after your choice of flights from the UK to JFK or Newark) the Hawaiian non-stop (11 hours) from JFK to Honolulu or the United non-stop (almost 11 hours) from Newark to Honolulu. Set yourself to arrive in Honolulu on a Thursday and stay Thursday and Friday nights to refresh and relax. Take the Hawaiian non-stop (6 hours in the same time zone) to Papeete Saturday afternoon. The ship will wait for passengers on the flight (at least they did for us), and you go right to the ship. This is all based on a 14-day cruise, but if you are going to go all that way you might as well see as much as you can.

Don't forget that there is a LAN Chile flight from Papeete to Santiago once a week that stops to refuel on Easter Island. So you could stop off there - flights to Santiago then go from Easter Island every day, if you want to stop off there to break the journey.

"This is all based on a 14-day cruise, but if you are going to go all that way you might as well see as much as you can."

Wow!!

All that travel for 14 days is not making much sense. Sorry I started this one. GCE O level geography was never my strong point.

Yes, do the local ones first Mr Luxury - and save the South Sea Islands for what could be a swan song or when we get totally fed up with GB and consider emigrating or living on a cruise liner.

Tony

To get back to the original question, we're looking for the same thing. This year on the World Cruise, the Sojourn sailed from LA to Hawaii to French Polynesia (to New Zealand, where we would actually like to visit someday), but apparently they aren't doing the World Cruise next year!

We'd love to go to French Polynesia on a cruise, and also we love Seabourn. I've read recent reviews that the Paul Gauguin isn't what it used to be. So what to do? I'm actually hoping that once Windstar gets the three small ships they will dedicate one to that area. It wouldn't be quite Seabourn, this is true, but if Seabourn is leaving that destination, what are the alternatives?

I've even looked at the Pacific Princess (which is one of their small, about 600 passenger ships).

Regent is doing French Polynesia in 2014, 2015. They are very good, just a tick below Seabourn.