Chakanaab Park Question

sunsetbeachgal

We plan on visiting Chakannab during our Cozumel port stop...DH and I are traveling with his daughter and family who are planning on booking the dolphin encounter through the cruise line...we just want to go to the park, swim, walk around end and are planning on taking a taxi and paying the general admission (thanks to whomever posted the coupon link!!.)

My question is: will it be possible for us to watch them do the dolphin encounter or I are the dolphin activities located in a separate area. Also if we meet them at Chakannab since they are taking a ships excursion, is this a large place and will we have trouble meeting up with other people?

Thanks,

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

You can see the dolphins pretty much right when you enter Chankanaab! Now how well you can see their swim is hard to tell as there are several sections where they do the swim... But we always watch the dolphins for a bit there!

As far as meeting, the park is big but in my opinion never seems like its crowded really. Probably because its so big. You can easily set a landmark to meet at I would think.

Have fun we love Chankanaab! Going back for the 3rd time in March!

We plan on visiting Chakannab during our Cozumel port stop...DH and I are traveling with his daughter and family who are planning on booking the dolphin encounter through the cruise line...we just want to go to the park, swim, walk around end and are planning on taking a taxi and paying the general admission (thanks to whomever posted the coupon link!!.)

My question is: will it be possible for us to watch them do the dolphin encounter or I are the dolphin activities located in a separate area. Also if we meet them at Chakannab since they are taking a ships excursion, is this a large place and will we have trouble meeting up with other people?

Thanks,

You can watch them, but they are not close and they will not let you walk out the boardwalk to make pictures as they want you to buy the ones they make that are very expensive. I don't think you will have trouble meeting up with them. We have been several times and enjoy the beach to snorkel

l and there is a small pool. Make sure to get a schedule for the sea lion show it is included in the price for the park.

A tip for your daughter in law and family. I booked through dolphin discovery dot com and it was cheaper than the ship's excursion, plus you can come and go at your leisure. If you book early enough, you can get a discount. My kids are 9, 9, and 10 and they had a blast!! Lots of other fun stuff to do there...cheap snorkeling (don't pay for an excursion), a cool lagoon, sea lion show where the kids get kissed by a sea lion (if they want). Get your lunch away from the dolphin part...much better and cheaper. Lockers are free. Great pool. We went in December and are thinking about doing Chankanaab on our June cruise (without the dolphins this time). That's how much I liked it.

I have 2 reviews of Chankanaab Park listed in my signature line with tons of pictures. There's also a review on the dolphin swim as well. :)

Your photos are amazing!! Thank you for the links...enjoyed the review as it answered many of our questions.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Your photos are amazing!! Thank you for the links...enjoyed the review as it answered many of our questions.

It remains my favorite place in Cozumel. :)

Mitsugirly's review was why I went there last time! Great place!

It's so beautiful there. I love Chankanaab. Glad you enjoyed it.

I have done the swim there before and booked direct. I had heard in the past you had to book thru the ship. Can you now book direct again?

Booked on dolphindiscovery dot com for our Dec 2013 cruise. I just went to the website and it's active. Maybe the ship is telling you that so you'll spend more money with them?

I have done the swim there before and booked direct. I had heard in the past you had to book thru the ship. Can you now book direct again?

You have always been able to book direct. The only cruise line that they will not allow you to book direct is Carnival. They have a contract with Carnival and must be purchased with Carnival in order to do the swim. However, those sailing Carnival find ways around it...such as saying they are coming in on one of the other ships that is there that day (by looking it up online) or saying they are staying at a hotel on the island. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I have 2 reviews of Chankanaab Park listed in my signature line with tons of pictures. There's also a review on the dolphin swim as well. :)

Mitsugirly - do you happen to recall how many ships were in port when you went? We have 7 ships in port when we are in Cozumel, and the port counter says over 20,000 people. I'm worried it will be crowded. I really want to go here, but I'm not too fond of huge crowds. I have went to book Nachi Cocum 3 times, and have stopped myself every time. I'm just worried about being bored there. Chankanaab looks to be more "us". Anyway, was just curious if you had crowds when you went.

There will be 7 ships in port when we cruise. Does anyone know if there is a maximum of people allowed in Chankanaab Park? Just wondering if there is a possibility we won't get into the park. Thanks. Patricia

Thank you for all the pictures and video. May I ask, what was in the baggie to attract the fish? Did you bring it, or is it something you can get there at the beach. I want to get some pics of our girls with the fish in front of them like the guides do.

Thanks,

David

There will be 7 ships in port when we cruise. Does anyone know if there is a maximum of people allowed in Chankanaab Park? Just wondering if there is a possibility we won't get into the park. Thanks. Patricia

No limit to number of people. The park is very big so there shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for all the pictures and video. May I ask, what was in the baggie to attract the fish? Did you bring it, or is it something you can get there at the beach. I want to get some pics of our girls with the fish in front of them like the guides do.

Thanks,

David

It was a bag of cheerios that we brought off the ship. (Now everyone will post how bad that is for the fishy environment and how it kills of the coral and flora....well I did not know this at the time we brought them). But they loved it of course.