Best Tough Camera

Hi,

I leave for the caribbean in one week and really don't want to take my Canon DSLR.

I want something I can take pictures on the beach, pool, snorkeling perhaps.

I have small children that are constantly on the move.

The most important thing to me is image quality, specifically sharpness.

What camera would you buy?

Also, if anyone would like to post sample shots that would be great!

Thanks so much

Hi,

I leave for the caribbean in one week and really don't want to take my Canon DSLR.

I want something I can take pictures on the beach, pool, snorkeling perhaps.

I have small children that are constantly on the move.

The most important thing to me is image quality, specifically sharpness.

What camera would you buy?

Also, if anyone would like to post sample shots that would be great!

Thanks so much

Nikon1 AW1, but if a $1000 is beyond your budget, the Nikon AW110

I would not recommend the Canon D10 or D20 (their 2 waterproof models). I have had issues and they don't compare with ones for other companies right now.

Pentax, I am told, has the best optics for underwater. Sorry, don't know the model #. But it's around $400.

If you are looking to spend less, check out Olympus, Panasonic, or Fuji. You'll find various models that are decent starting at $120 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have had an Olympus TG 2 tough/waterproof camera. Decent pictures. Have used in salt water wiith no problems. Use a wi fi card to transfer pics to tablet/laptop. Is light and pockable and a screw on telephoto and fish eye are available. Weak area is flash.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

The Olympus TG-2 is probably the best "budget" underwater camera (the Nikon AW1 is the best overall underwater camera though).

But do you need waterproof, or just a bit more ruggedized? With a waterproof camera, you are ultimately going to have to compromise a bit at least in it's capability. My underwater camera is an Olympus Tough 8010 - and while it works well enough, it is starting to show it's age.

And I have missed some photos as it refuses to focus in all but the very best lighting conditions, and since there is no manual anything on the camera, I cannot force it.

Consequently, this camera is strictly an underwater camera - and not a general-purpose pocket camera.

One camera I really like (and I own one) is the Nikon Coolpix P330, which is my go-to (non underwater) general purpose pocket camera). They are running about $250 these days, and while technically are not ruggedized, they are at least made with a magnesium chassis. And it has a lot of DSLR-like features; manual exposure, fast f/1.8 lens, and even advanced features such as rear-curtain sync! When have you seen that feature before in a compact camera?

Since it is not truly a ruggedized camera, like general purpose compact cameras - the P330's lens will be a bit fragile if you drop the camera with the lens extended, but I have to think the camera is a bit tougher than the typical compact due to it's magnesium frame. But I did take mine to the beach a few months ago. I kept it in a baggie inside a backpack when I did not use it so as to not get sand on it. I would not do that with my DSLR, but at $250, while not exactly throw-away, it at least would not be as painful should it become broken due to sand intrusion. In other words, I take more risks with this camera than my DSLR.

So, if you need waterproof - consider the Olympus TG-2. If you want a general purpose pocket camera that you can use like a DSLR, but not be worried about the cost of loss - then look at the Nikon P330.

http://www.althephoto.com/cameras/p330.php

Edited by awboater

I have a Cannon D10 and love it however it is the old model. Before that I had 2 Pentax water cameras and they were junk. That said, all the models out now are totally different. Basically you must clean the salt off them after use.

Sent from my iPad

I have the TG-2 as well, and it's great for what it is. You can use it on the beach, in the water, and even drop it. But as stated you have to recognize its limitations.

But, for swimming, leaving on the sand, and the chance of dropping, while still getting generally good pictures, it's hard to beat.

I'm on my third Olympus tough camera. This one has 12 megapixels. I think it works great. I purchased a simple cable from Apple, so I can directly link the camera to my iPad. This makes downloading photos on a daily basis really easy.

Dick and Jane

Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for all the feedback. I have narrowed it down to the Olympus TG2 and the Nikon AW110.

Which one is better?

I have the Nikon and I've been very happy with it. I use it snorkeling all the time, and it does a good job on both photos and video. It can be a bit difficult to see the screen with sun glare, but that is probably an issue with any cameras that have a display.

Norwegian Jewel / December 2013 / Western Caribbean / New Orleans

Norwegian Breakaway / April 2013 / Transatlantic / Southampton - New York

Norwegian Epic / December 2012 / Eastern Caribbean / Miami

Norwegian Pearl / December 2011 / Western Caribbean / Miami

Norwegian Dawn / December 2010 / Southern Caribbean / Miami

Norwegian Spirit / December 2009 / Western Caribbean / New Orleans

If image quality is the deciding factor and is really important, your best camera would be a standard non-underwater camera of whatever quality level you need and a true dedicated underwater case. You are talking big buck on this option however.

DON