More of my caribbean review

The islands we visited....

St Maartens...my favourite! The port area was lovely. There were 3 other big ships in and it was buzzin! A band was playing and the shops were great. We walked into Phillipsburgh and ambled along the boardwalk, soaking up the atmosphere. The beach was on one side and bars on the other. The locals were friendly, all trying to sell you something, but not pushy. The main street runs parallel and is full of lovely shops and architecture. It was just a lovely place to wander around.

St Kitts. I had booked us a private excursion off the internet before we went and the driver met us at the quayside ( which unfortunately was only the cargo port as 2 bigger ships were in the main port). We were the only 2 on the tour which was great and got a very personalised service, and we really enjoyed the 4 hours.

St Lucia. We got up early to stand on deck and watch as we sailed into St Lucia and it was worth it. Very pretty. We were in one port and 2 big ships were on the other port across the water. There were shops in the port buildings, as was the tourist info. It was manic in there! We wanted to go to a beach and joined a shuttle bus with 3 other couples. We went to Rodney Bay which wasnt what i expected at all. The shuttle took us to a private hotel and we walked through it to the beach. It was a long thin strip of sand with beds and brollys all along, no room to breathe! It cost $20 which i thought expensive! And we were constantly hassled by vendors. I was glad to get bzck to the ship! Next time ill do an island tour.

Bequia (i think thats how you spell it). We were supposed to go to Mayreau but the captain decided it was too high seas. We tendered into this island, it was still a bit choppy here! A lovely little island, just a main street in port Elizabeth, and then a walk along a little walk way to a beach. A very chilled place!

Tobago.We booked a thomsons excursion, Argyll waterfalls. On the drive upto the rainforest our guide told us all about the island and was very informative. The walk through the forest was easyish to do, when we got to the waterfalls there was a few rocks to negotiate to get a good view, but well worth it.

Barbados. Our last day and we were departing at 3pm, so we had a walk into Bridgetown. It was a shame it was sunday as everything closed, however we found a nice bar overlooking the marina which was showing football which pleased my oh! Also had a look at the beach which looked ok.

I loved the caribbean, and cant wait to do a bit more next year!

One last thing i forgot to mention. The staff. Amazing! They keep smiling all the time!

Lovely, thank you Lexie. Must have a look at Bequia, just in case we go there too. I think I have a newspaper article about Bequia.

I had Rodney Bay on my list of things we might do in St Lucia but I think we might be better doing a tour. Just heard yesterday of a lady who lives near me who had her 'bum' bag cut from her waist and stolen in the port at St Lucia.

Lovely, thank you Lexie. Must have a look at Bequia, just in case we go there too. I think I have a newspaper article about Bequia.

I had Rodney Bay on my list of things we might do in St Lucia but I think we might be better doing a tour. Just heard yesterday of a lady who lives near me who had her 'bum' bag cut from her waist and stolen in the port at St Lucia.

When I read up on Rodney Bay it sounded lovely, with a Marina and shops, and yet we were dumped at this hotel and it felt isolated from the rest of the area. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the area can enlighten us? When we returned to the ship my oh wanted to go for a walk around Castries, but I didn't feel it was safe to do so. It was very busy with locals and felt rather intimidating. Maybe it was just my own nervousness

I think going to the Caribbean has spoilt me, as my oh wants to do a med cruise this summer, but I can't find one I like the look of!

When I read up on Rodney Bay it sounded lovely, with a Marina and shops, and yet we were dumped at this hotel and it felt isolated from the rest of the area. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the area can enlighten us? When we returned to the ship my oh wanted to go for a walk around Castries, but I didn't feel it was safe to do so. It was very busy with locals and felt rather intimidating. Maybe it was just my own nervousness

I think going to the Caribbean has spoilt me, as my oh wants to do a med cruise this summer, but I can't find one I like the look of!

If you have not yet done the Adriatic cruise on Majesty, you could give that a try. All the ports were lovely and safe. If you like beaches I would book a stay hotel in Corfu, for an extra week, great for relaxing after quite a hectic week sightseeing. On the other hand you can have a week in a hotel first and relax ready for the cruise.

Great review Lexie :) St Lucia was our first taste of the Caribbean in 2010 and we did an island tour - beautiful island. We did not like Castries either. When we went in 2012, I broke the strap on my sandals and went into Castries to get some new ones. We eventually found a shoe shop, the only one I should think :rolleyes: found some nice sandals, but they couldn't care less about serving me, kept telling me the price in Caribbean dollars and when I asked to pay by card -well what a performance.

One tip in Caribbean - it is difficult to get US dollars from cashpoints, can't remember which island, but only found it on one island. Most pay out in Caribbean dollars and you have to go into the bank and change to US dollars, so two lots of commission :(

We caught a local bus to Rodney Bay, got off at the shopping mall and walked on the road between the hotels and marina and went through a hotel to the beach. Don't know which one it was but it was lovely - nice facilities, beach furniture available and not at all isolated. There were water activities around and plenty of people but not crowded. Were you nearer to Fort Rodney at the far end of the bay?

An alternative if you go back to St Lucia lexie might be to consider a tour with Cosol which quite a few of us on here have done and rate very highly. Perhaps you might like to consider that too Jakanne if you want a tour. Google him - about 65$ for a five hour tour including rum punch/beer, buffet of local delicacies, call at a beach, visit to Soufriere volvolcanic and a small botanical garden. Our trip lasted 6.5 hours! Excellent value superb trip and huge fun.

Have made a note of Bequia following a recommendation from geo. High on my 'must do's' now.

So pleased you enjoyed your ports of call lexis and thanks for telling us all about it. The Caribbean does get in your blood doesn't it? We love it. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Cosol Tours was the one I had in mind. He has a very inviting website. :)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed Jakanne. I haven't seen a negative comment about him. One of our best and most memorable days out in the Caribbean. In fact we've said we would do his tour again sometime if we get the opportunity. You see such a lot of the island and so many different experiences it's great value.

You book ahead but don't pay him until the end of the trip so no worries about having paid and then not making it. We had eight from our ship plus a Barbadian couple who were staying in a hotel who had pre-booked - all independently. You don't need to find a group of 10/12 yourself. He just takes Internet bookings and makes up the party. Couldn't be easier. Definitely highly recommended. :)

P. S. Sorry about the spellings in my previous post - this predictive text is brilliant until you realise it's got a mind of its own!!

Edited by kruzseeka

If you have not yet done the Adriatic cruise on Majesty, you could give that a try. All the ports were lovely and safe. If you like beaches I would book a stay hotel in Corfu, for an extra week, great for relaxing after quite a hectic week sightseeing. On the other hand you can have a week in a hotel first and relax ready for the cruise.

I really fancy this cruise but my other half doesnt! I really need to gently persuade him. Maybe if i can find some pictures i could change his mind!

the whole ship tendered into bequia :eek: ....what a fabulous bonus, that would save having to get the ferry over from kingstown:cool:

port elizabeth must have been bursting at the seams? its a tiny place (just caters to the yachting community)...yes very chilled and laid back (wonder what they thought when 1500 people turned up on a cruise ship out if the blue!)....lovely beach around the corner btw (5 mins by water taxi) princess margaret beach usually very secluded (probably not on that day tho)

Have made a note of Bequia following a recommendation from geo. High on my 'must do's' now.

ahh bequia....just love bequia

hot tip kruzsee, the bequia ferry leaves from right next door to the ship 35ec$ return pp (thats about us$10...they accept us$) thoms want about £40 for bequia shorex! (although you do get some free rum)

the trip over takes about 45mins they have 2 ferrys so they run about hourly throughout the day

beach is just around the corner from port elizabeth (any small boy with a boat will run you over there for a couple of $ and come back and pick you up)

when we went we boarded with an entire class of local schoolchildren....all smart and scrubbed in their uniforms....lovely polite and curious kids, really a joy to spend a little time with:cool:

Brilliant geo......... another nugget for my file! Very useful info on DiY - you've certainly elevated this one on my list! :D

And I couldn't agree more about the schoolchildren. We travelled on the bus to Holetown in Barbados once. The bus was quite full so each of us had to sit by a young girl on the way to school. Both of them engaged in conversations with DH and me telling us they had 'passed exams' to go to that school. They had already had a one hour journey to get the bus we were on! They were immaculately turned out in their uniform (as all the children we've seen in the Caribbean have been). I've never seen such bright white shirts and long white socks. Talk about pride in their appearance (must be well supported from home).

They chatted away quite normally to us - we couldn't help but think how different that would be at home - youngsters on the way to school talking to a couple of oldies and pointing out landmarks and telling us about their island! What a refreshing and uplifting experience. We often tell the story - mainly because is presented such a contrast to home. Delightful young people. Not that there aren't great youngsters here too but the culture is so different I can't imagine anything like that interaction happening on our local buses.

All part of why we love the Caribbean so much. There may be signs of poverty compared with our lives but they have riches in other respects which I wish were still valued more here!

Edited by kruzseeka

yes, delightful (thats the exact right word)....isnt it just delightful to randomly drop into someone’s average day on a caribbean island……. and interact with the local communities

we also sat with a couple of girls on the ferry...both were desperately trying to keep their hair neat & tidy (windy in the channel there)

they told us that if they turned up at school with messy hair they would be told off and would have to go into school on a saturday to help clean the classrooms as a punishment.....can you imagine what would happen here at home if our school kids were under the same kind of rules?....I know what my 2 girls would say!:(

I really fancy this cruise but my other half doesnt! I really need to gently persuade him. Maybe if i can find some pictures i could change his mind!

I went to the Adriatic in 2012 Lexie and loved it so much I've booked to go again this year! Venice is obviously gorgeous but Kotor and Dubrovnik were both beautiful as well, and I really liked Majesty (although I know not everyone does).

All ports were fine to explore on your own, you'd maybe want to do an excursion in Koper (as you visit on a Sunday) but the rest I did on my own - Venice was super easy to do independently. Keep working on your OH!!

I went to the Adriatic in 2012 Lexie and loved it so much I've booked to go again this year! Venice is obviously gorgeous but Kotor and Dubrovnik were both beautiful as well, and I really liked Majesty (although I know not everyone does).

All ports were fine to explore on your own, you'd maybe want to do an excursion in Koper (as you visit on a Sunday) but the rest I did on my own - Venice was super easy to do independently. Keep working on your OH!!

You can catch the local bus from Koper to Piran which is really picturesque and unlike Koper isn't so quiet. There's a lovely walk around the promontory, plenty of cafes and shops open. Definitely worth going there and no need to do the excursion. If you want to do an excursion though Ljubljana is a very good and being the capital city is lively with lots of local people out enjoying the weekend.

You can catch the local bus from Koper to Piran which is really picturesque and unlike Koper isn't so quiet. There's a lovely walk around the promontory, plenty of cafes and shops open. Definitely worth going there and no need to do the excursion. If you want to do an excursion though Ljubljana is a very good and being the capital city is lively with lots of local people out enjoying the weekend.

We followed Kruzseeka's instructions and took the local bus to Piran. We passed through some lovely seaside towns on the way and loved Piran. We told our friends who did the same last November and loved it as much as we did :)

Because of the time off i can get from work, ive narrowed it down to:

18th aug ancient wonders

19th aug glitz and glamour

22nd adriatic explorer

23rd highlights of med

29th italian flavours

any thoughts?

If I hadn't done any of them I think I'd choose Adriatic first (because that's what I did;))

However they're all great itineraries and if you really can't decide go on price and use the savings for your Carabbean trip next year.:rolleyes::D

We followed Kruzseeka's instructions and took the local bus to Piran. We passed through some lovely seaside towns on the way and loved Piran. We told our friends who did the same last November and loved it as much as we did :)

We did too, and I agree. Piran is lovely. Well worth the bus ride there. As the ship was late leaving Koper, there was still time to have a look around or even have a meal or a few drinks there.