Early/Late Dining/Entertainment

ColSavLan

Trying to decide on Early vs Late dining. I know the big shows can be seen either way you go; however, it seems to me on the only cruise I have been on that there were some family comedy shows and things going on we missed. Wondering which you think is better, early or late, also trying to take into consideration port excursions.

On most ships we have been on in the last few years, entertainment is arranged so that both seatings will be able to see most shows. Does it always work out that you can see everything? Probably not, but often you can.

We used to only do early seating but have now come to like late because it's not so rushed after excursions and other day time activities.

That said, our real preference is Anytime dining; that way we can eat when we want, working around whatever we want to do that particular evening. We've only done traditional dining once since Anytime was started, and that was because Anytime was full.

When we are traveling with the kids, we prefer early dining so that we have plenty of time to catch the family friendly shows and they have time to do some activities before bed. When we are traveling without them, we prefer late dining... because there's not as many kids in the dining room. LOL! It's also nice to have the extra time to take a quick nap after coming in from port if we want.

We always eat 2nd seating, hate any time type dining. We tried 1st a couple of cruises ago and still don't like it. We don't want to get back from an excursion, rush to shower & change for dinner. We like having time to take a nap. I don't care what time you eat at home, there is always food you can get at anytime on a cruise ship. Sometimes I go to the buffet at 6PM and get cheese & crackers or even fried shrimp on the buffet. We'll eat these before dinner with a cocktail if we are really hungry.

As to any time dining, we want to eat at one time and not have to wait for a table - once on NCL we had to wait 40 minutes! We want the same waiter who will know what we want the 2nd night and we enjoy dining with the same people every night.

There are always two show in the theater at times for both seatings. Comics are usually at 7 or 7:30 so either seating can make them.