price drop

jean0151

we are sailing on breakaway on 2/16. The price has come down DRAMATICALLY NCL won't give us shipboard credit or an upgrade with paying additional money. We paid top dollar for this cruise and the price has dropped almost $1,500 for the 4 of us. Any advice??????

Mabe call again and see if you get someone else that will upgrade you? Two years ago booked a obstructed room was 1,000 pp. Less then a week later dropped to 650 pp. Had crusied many times on NCl. Called back they upgraded me to a balcony room. Was very happy since Balconys were still higher then what I had paid . Sometimes though you are better not even looking to see if the price dropped.

we are sailing on breakaway on 2/16. The price has come down DRAMATICALLY NCL won't give us shipboard credit or an upgrade with paying additional money. We paid top dollar for this cruise and the price has dropped almost $1,500 for the 4 of us. Any advice??????

Please know that NCL probably will not do anything about it since the final payment date has past. They are a business that needs to fill it's ships, you should be happy what you paid for and got the cabin you originally wanted. It may sound harsh but it happens all the time. Sometimes they may offer an upgrade but many times not. It's not just NCL.

Call and try again.

But - remember this. You are paying exactly what you and NCL agreed to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Read down through the postings and you will see this issue going on and on and on and on.

They owe you nothing except the cruise you agreed to.

Folks are always welcome to wait for a last minute sale. Of course, they may find the ship is sold out when they wait. Or as others have found, the prices went up.

Edited by garycarla

Same thing has happened to me three or four times on Holland American and Celebrity. I'm so anal that I have to have the cabin I want in the location I want so I book early and I just have to live with getting shortchanged if there's a big price drop after final payment.

Are all these price drops ship wide, in general, or do they pertain only to remaining and/or hard-to-sell cabins? I've booked a cabin for 2015 which is what I want and where I want it. I assume when I see these last minute deals (i.e. $299 for 7 day Caribbean) that it's a less desirable cabin. They're not giving away penthouse suites during these deals, are they? Sorry, I'm not even sure how everyone knows when prices drop so I'm just asking a question, not trying to incite a riot.

Are all these price drops ship wide, in general, or do they pertain only to remaining and/or hard-to-sell cabins? I've booked a cabin for 2015 which is what I want and where I want it. I assume when I see these last minute deals (i.e. $299 for 7 day Caribbean) that it's a less desirable cabin. They're not giving away penthouse suites during these deals, are they? Sorry, I'm not even sure how everyone knows when prices drop so I'm just asking a question, not trying to incite a riot.

The price drops are usually a way to fill the ship. The more desirable cabins are almost always already booked. They are NOT giving away suites at ridiculously low prices. More importantly, some of the price drops and/or promotional bonuses that people are citing are not directly from the cruise line; they are TA promotions. The cruise line is not going to match a third-party promotion.

They have given OBC. just keep going up the chain until you reach some one who can do something. This is becoming an every cruise thing on the Breakaway. Room prices are too high.

If you think room prices are too high, compare the current prices with the same type of cabin and cruise 20 or 30 years ago, then factor in the decline of purchasing power of your dollar.

I think you will come to the shocking realization that cruising today is a real bargain.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Inflation Calculator

If in (enter year) 1984

I purchased an item for $ 20.00

then in (enter year*) 2013

that same item would cost: 44.84

Cumulative rate of inflation: 124.2%

Edited by swedish weave

My first cruise out of NY in 1981 was $850 with only a window and sharing with 2 other girls. First time on NCL -- looking forward to the breakaway. We are carnival sailers who will lower your price or after final payment give you shipboard credit. So I guess Ill go back to them.

My first cruise out of NY in 1981 was $850 with only a window and sharing with 2 other girls. First time on NCL -- looking forward to the breakaway. We are carnival sailers who will lower your price or after final payment give you shipboard credit. So I guess Ill go back to them.

Doesn't Carnival restrict the price drop payment to Carnival advertised rates ?

I don't believe they honor lower prices advertised by travel agencies. I may be misinformed, but I think this also only applies to bookings made under certain rate structures.

Same is happening on Getaway -- there have been several threads on the topic. Here's one I started... lots of differing opinions :eek:didn't mean to start a riot

You'll see some advice in the thread. One thing I learned (we also are 4 and experienced major price drop/plus many added incentives we didn't get) is don't book early.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976736

Did you book directly or through a travel agent? If through a TA, they might not be trying hard enough (or at all) on your behalf. If you booked directly, keep trying.

I would definitely call again as others have said and explain that you'd be happy paying the difference for an upgraded cabin from what you paid to what is now being advertised. Different reps can and do provide different "service". Also, come on over to our roll call, it is quite active and looks like we are going to have a well attended Meet and Greet! See you there and good luck:)

because the last cruise on carnival i ended up with $900 shipboard credit. In good faith i think NCL should offer a little something.

Now, now...To be in good faith, NCL need only honor their contract with you. Their policies are different than Carnival's, and, from what I have heard, Carnival's policies seem to have increasing restrictions.

Still, NCL often does allow upgrades. Is there a better cabin that has dropped to what you paid or less? If so, ask them to please upgrade you. They are not obligated to do it, but they might do it anyway for goodwill. If the better cabin costs more than you paid, you'd certainly be expected to pay the difference.

If you used a travel agent, you must call the TA, convince the TA to go to bat for you, then wait to hear back from the TA.

because the last cruise on carnival i ended up with $900 shipboard credit. In good faith i think NCL should offer a little something.

So, playing Devil's advocate.....the cruise I booked last July for August, 2014 has gone UP in price...so in all good faith, do you think I should pay the increase? 👿

Problem with that someone who books last minute to get good deals usually gets the least desirable cabins, understandably, Right? While someone pays for a prime location cabin and expects the same rate when the prices go down. NCL does upgrade, I know that for a fact, we just did it today but we paid for the upgrade. Upgraded from an inside to a balcony..

If you think room prices are too high, compare the current prices with the same type of cabin and cruise 20 or 30 years ago, then factor in the decline of purchasing power of your dollar.

It is becoming evident that they priced this ship higher than the market will support.