price drop

jean0151

we are sailing on breakaway on 2/16. The price has come down DRAMATICALLY NCL won't give us shipboard credit or an upgrade with paying additional money. We paid top dollar for this cruise and the price has dropped almost $1,500 for the 4 of us. Any advice??????

Are you calling your travel agent, or NCL directly? Often NCL won't change anything unless your booking agent calls on your behalf.

It's very unusual that they won't give either an upgrade or OBC. I just called tonight about our Breakaway cruise Feb 23 and got a choice of a one-category upgrade (BC to BB) or $40 OBC, and I booked in December after final payment was due. I booked via Expedia, which is who I've been contacting for this stuff.

Lucky you -- how'd you manage that? They would only offer me an upgrade...no way Jose on OBC.

Usually percentage of difference in OBC is only offered by NCL if they can't upgrade you - since in your case there is an upgrade available, they won't give OBC even if you decline the upgrade. Remember, by the contract they are not obligated to giving anything after final payment (or actually even before but then you'll have the chance to cancel for free and it's easier for them to keep the customer and lower the price at that point).

I was looking at a 9 day cruise 10/8/14 from Hong Kong to Singapore on RCCI, 2 weeks ago the price was $649 for an inside and now it is $1,320!! So maybe by 2015 NCL will be in Asia, if not I will see about booking sooner if the price is right. I get the idea there are those who like to time the stock market, while others will tell you its the time in the market that matters, just be diversified. It seems even more difficult to time the cruise market, I like to book at least 9 months out on the older NCL ships, wait until the last minute on the new ones. So far, so good.

We have noticed today for the same cruise there is a price increase , We always hear complaint regarding price drop , so I think it's fair to Ncl that I have instructed DW to cut a cheque $897.08. for the difference an send to Ncl before they call us and demand the adjustment

we have booked a cruise for Oct 27,14 on july 23 2013.

Totalx Guest 1 Guest 2

Guest Fare 3,898.00 1,949.00 1,949.00

Government Taxes/Fees 350.62 175.31 175.31

Prepaid Service Charge 216.00 108.00 108.00

Gross Total

Commission

Net Due

4,464.62 2,232.31 2,232.31

PAYMENTS AMOUNT (USD)

PAYMENT SCHEDULE

DEPOSIT due on 12-Sep-2013 11:59 pm Eastern Time 800.00

FINAL PAYMENT due on 13-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 3,664.62

PAYMENTS APPLIED

PAID by CRUISE REWARD 6 DAY PLUS Coupon on 23-Jul-2013 250.00

TOTAL PAYMENTS APPLIED 250.00

Balance Due on 13-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 4,214.62

Today's price

Price Summary

Guest Totals: USD2,680.85 USD2,680.85

Cruise Fare USD2,499.00 USD2,499.00

Gov't Taxes & Fees USD181.85 USD181.85

Important Note: Please make sure you bring the required travel documentation to the pier. All guests, especially non US or Canadian citizens will be required to show proper documentation prior to boarding the ship. Click here for a full list of documentation requirements based on ships and destination.

Price Summary

Total Price: USD5,361.70

Cruise Fare USD4,998.00

Gov't Taxes & Fees USD363.70

Payment Schedule

Cruise Deposit USD800.00

Deposit Due: Jan 27, 2014 04:01 PM ET

Final Payment USD4,561.70

Final Payment Due: Aug 13, 2014 11:59 PM ET

YOUR BOOKING INCLUDES AN ONBOARD CREDIT USD150.00

We have noticed today for the same cruise there is a price increase , We always hear complaint regarding price drop , so I think it's fair to Ncl that I have instructed DW to cut a cheque $897.08. for the difference an send to Ncl before they call us and demand the adjustment

we have booked a cruise for Oct 27,14 on july 23 2013.

Totalx Guest 1 Guest 2

Guest Fare 3,898.00 1,949.00 1,949.00

Government Taxes/Fees 350.62 175.31 175.31

Prepaid Service Charge 216.00 108.00 108.00

Gross Total

Commission

Net Due

4,464.62 2,232.31 2,232.31

PAYMENTS AMOUNT (USD)

PAYMENT SCHEDULE

DEPOSIT due on 12-Sep-2013 11:59 pm Eastern Time 800.00

FINAL PAYMENT due on 13-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 3,664.62

PAYMENTS APPLIED

PAID by CRUISE REWARD 6 DAY PLUS Coupon on 23-Jul-2013 250.00

TOTAL PAYMENTS APPLIED 250.00

Balance Due on 13-Aug-2014 11:59 pm Eastern Time 4,214.62

Today's price

Price Summary

Guest Totals: USD2,680.85 USD2,680.85

Cruise Fare USD2,499.00 USD2,499.00

Gov't Taxes & Fees USD181.85 USD181.85

Important Note: Please make sure you bring the required travel documentation to the pier. All guests, especially non US or Canadian citizens will be required to show proper documentation prior to boarding the ship. Click here for a full list of documentation requirements based on ships and destination.

Price Summary

Total Price: USD5,361.70

Cruise Fare USD4,998.00

Gov't Taxes & Fees USD363.70

Payment Schedule

Cruise Deposit USD800.00

Deposit Due: Jan 27, 2014 04:01 PM ET

Final Payment USD4,561.70

Final Payment Due: Aug 13, 2014 11:59 PM ET

YOUR BOOKING INCLUDES AN ONBOARD CREDIT USD150.00

Your example does not apply until final payment date. The price will probably go up and down until then. Get back to us in August.......

Same is happening on Getaway -- there have been several threads on the topic. Here's one I started... lots of differing opinions :eek:didn't mean to start a riot

You'll see some advice in the thread. One thing I learned (we also are 4 and experienced major price drop/plus many added incentives we didn't get) is don't book early.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976736

I will have to disagree with your "don't book early" philosophy. Booked my cruise 8 months ago for $1618, current cost would be $2408 (I am past final payment). Secret is book early, watch prices weekly and negotiate prior to final payment and either cancel or go on the cruise with the price you were able to negotiate. I do agree that it does not cost anything to try and negotiate some perks after the final payment and there is a price drop, maybe a couple specialty restaurant vouchers?

Why would people want to cancel a booking before the final due date

Do you not still lose your deposit ?

Outside NCL's European offices: no.

The cancellation fee schedule used in at least US office can be found there: http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Although we live in Europe, we have always booked all our cruises through US office, either directly or via US-based TA. Better terms and usually better prices than through EU office.

Edited by Demonyte

I am booked on the Getaway for Feb 22. I noticed the price had dropped well after final payment. I phoned my TA as they are also offering more of an OBC now. They phoned NCL and were told they would upgrade me at no charge. I did not take the upgrade as it gave us less sqft in the room. I then asked the TA if they would give an OBC as there company is offering a higher OBC now. I received a call back from TA saying the went to bat for me and NCL will give me an OBC. It's about 30% of the price reduction. I didn't really expect to get anything but I tried anyways.

we are sailing on breakaway on 2/16. The price has come down DRAMATICALLY NCL won't give us shipboard credit or an upgrade with paying additional money. We paid top dollar for this cruise and the price has dropped almost $1,500 for the 4 of us. Any advice??????

It's less than a month away. What did you expect? Did you use a PCC? I've found them helpful. If not, they don't owe you anything.

Our in-boxes are jammed with emails from PCC's on the Breakaway deals + phone calls/VM's as he knew we loved last minute bargains.

The offers for Feb. 9th and Feb. 2nd (in 5 days) are dirt cheap, literally a steal - NCL will offer $100 OBC, even for Inside GTY cabins (that's the lowest category, except for Studios - those are sold out)

OV, Balcony & even Suites are still available - unbelievable, this season's cold weather isn't really a factor since folks booked & plan ahead regardless, knowing that these are winter sailings - we sailed in mid Feb. two years ago.

Did a price check on Travelocity and it's priced higher and only showing $50 OBC from NCL plus TA's own Cruise Cash ... :D

It's too early for us to pack n just go this year - watching prices for March instead - notifying the extended family clan members to standby & get ready to book and go on short notices, getting pre-approved for vacation time-off from the bosses. ;)

I am surprised that NCL and or your travel agent won't do anything to make up the difference. I just checked on my bill from a TA and there is a low price guarantee. They want people to book early for predictability and to have the deposit in their hands.

A few months ago there was a price drop on Cunard after the final payment, when I called (we had booked directly) they gave us a very nice upgrade but no reduction in price. It seems that things are so competitive, the cruise lines would do all to keep the cruisers happy.

We are on a NCL cruise in February and I saw that the price dropped a month or so ago. It was before the final payment was due. The TA did get NCL to reduce the fare to be equal with the lowest advertised fare.

As an aside, I think the cruise lines' profit comes more from what is spent on the ship than from the price of the cabins.

Barbara

I am surprised that NCL and or your travel agent won't do anything to make up the difference. I just checked on my bill from a TA and there is a low price guarantee. They want people to book early for predictability and to have the deposit in their hands.

A few months ago there was a price drop on Cunard after the final payment, when I called (we had booked directly) they gave us a very nice upgrade but no reduction in price. It seems that things are so competitive, the cruise lines would do all to keep the cruisers happy.

We are on a NCL cruise in February and I saw that the price dropped a month or so ago. It was before the final payment was due. The TA did get NCL to reduce the fare to be equal with the lowest advertised fare.

As an aside, I think the cruise lines' profit comes more from what is spent on the ship than from the price of the cabins.

Barbara

You best read the fine print for any such guarantee.

If I recall correctly, NCL's own best price guarantee is good for price changes on NCL's website within 48 hours of booking. It is so limited, I suspect it benefits very, very few people.

Fortunately, before final payment, we have been able to get price drops without difficulty. After final payment, NCL can hold you to the deal, and cancellations will result in the defined penalties. Happily, NCL sometimes allows upgrades after final payment, as Cunard did for you.