Proof of citizenship crisis!

Fivehole

Thanks to everyone who responded - lots of good information here for future!

After an exhaustive search and driving hours and hours back home, they were able to locate additional copies of both birth certs (not sure if they have raised seal or not, but hopefully whatever they found, in conjunction with military ID, will be acceptable). At last report they were "racing" across the southern states en route to the port, so looks like they will be okay.

Again, thank you all!

Please let us know the outcome! Don't leave us hangin!!!

After an exhaustive search and driving hours and hours back home, they were able to locate additional copies of both birth certs (not sure if they have raised seal or not, but hopefully whatever they found, in conjunction with military ID, will be acceptable). At last report they were "racing" across the southern states en route to the port, so looks like they will be okay.

Again, thank you all!

Yay!! Great to hear. :)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

Rather than speculating about what is required to get a passport, refer your brother to the factual information from the State Department.

Here's information on acceptable primary proof of citizenship:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/new.html#step3

Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):

Previously issued, undamaged, and fully valid U.S. Passport (5 year for minors or 10 years for adults)

*Certified U.S. birth certificate (must meet all of the following requirements):

issued by the City, County, or State of birth

Lists bearer's full name, date of birth, and place of birth

Lists parent(s) full names

Has date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)

Has registrar's signature

Has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar

Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

Naturalization Certificate

Certificate of Citizenship

And here's the information on secondary evidence of citizenship, since it appears he doesn't have any of the above acceptable primary proof (I won't paste it into this reply since the page is very long. Just follow the link):

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/secondary-evidence.html

Thank you. I did refer him to this page. :)

Pat

Again, thank you all!

Thanks for the update, hope they have a great cruise!

The confusion about being able to use a military ID or not simply comes down to this: when traveling as a civilian you must prove your citizenship to enter foreign countries or to re-enter the United States. A military ID, as far as my understanding, does not prove citizenship since non-citizens also serve in the U.S. military. Only a passport, birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or other citizenship-based document can prove that.

IIRC a red passport is issued to any member of the government traveling on government business. I was always onboard ship (or flying to meet up with) and never needed either type of passport. I can no longer remember the rule but as long as we stayed within a certain distance of the port our ID was sufficient under the status of forces agreements in place.

For the Air Force, your ID had to be accompanied by an SF Form 80 with the countries you were allowed to enter marked on it.

OK thanks for your help.

My renewal has been received and should be in process because my check has cleared.

That happened to me about 3 weeks ago.

Remember yesterday when I posted it saying "in the final stages of processing"? Well, I really should have checked my mailbox yesterday... because my passport had already been delivered. I haven't yet received my passport CARD, just the real thing.

So they may actually send you your stuff before they notify you about anything. It came USPS Priority Mail and according to the tracking info, was mailed on January 22.

And to the OP -- I'm so glad they got it all worked out and got on their cruise!

You can check the status of your passport application here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/application-status.html

It is right now telling me that my passport renewal is in the final stages of processing and that *I* should *receive* it on or about January 29. I sent this in just before Christmas. Their published estimate for my type of request was 4 to 6 weeks, so they're running on schedule.

The OP is in a tough position that I hope no one else ever finds themselves in. But if you are worried about your passport application, you can find out real info without having to call anyone.

Glad you received yours. I received my new passport (passport renewal) a mere seven days after I sent it in. Very fast!