Gratuities in Canada

Who is it customary to tip in Canada and how much is typical?

I'm assuming I would tip Porters at the Pier Coming and going for handling my luggage, waitstaff in restaurants, taxi driver, anyone in the hotel that handles my luggage. Is $1-2 a bag for porters and hotel staff and 15-20% for cabs/dining customary in Canada?

We will be in Vancouver for 2 nights before our cruise. I'm not sure who else we might encounter that I should plan to tip.

Oh my gosh, we would never not tip a porter. Anyone who moves our luggage gets a tip. The signs may say tipping is "not necessary" and of course, it is a personal decision, but we always tip the porters. We figure $2/bag and round up - like $10 for 3 bags, no biggie. :) And a smile. I know tipping is a touchy and subjective topic, but porters do work hard.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you use US money for tipping the porters at the pier, etc. or do you need Canadian dollars for that. I am assuming you would need to pay for your cab in Canadian dollars only? Thanks for any info.

US dollars are widely accepted in Vancouver, in fact about the only place they are not accepted is on our transit system. Cabbies and porters will be very happy with US dollars but with a taxi or anywhere else for that matter, keep your bills small as you will like get your change in CDN dollars.

Even tho I'm from Michigan, my knowledge of $1 & $2 are Loonies and Twoies....all coins. Heavy to carry around? Awkward to tip with?

Yes if you have a pocket full of loonies & toonies they can be heavy to carry around

I guess we are used to them now I use a small change purse to keep them altogether ;)

Awkward to tip with ...most people will take them without a problem just like paper money they all spend the same

You could always just tip with a fiver I am sure most people would like that much better than a Loonie :)

Edited by LHT28

Even tho I'm from Michigan, my knowledge of $1 & $2 are Loonies and Twoies....all coins. Heavy to carry around? Awkward to tip with?

Well first off all "Twoies" are "are "Toonies" so please excuse me when I suggest that your the creditability of your knowledge of Canadian currency is immediately suspect. However that aside, the Loonie and the Toonie are extremely easy to tip with much like the Euro and GBP coin which rather covers most of the western world. With that, one might conclude that it is America is out of step with its wads of paper dollars of one colour filling the wallets and pockets of the nation....this comes from a person who lives 5.5 months in the US. :rolleyes:

US dollars are widely accepted in Vancouver, in fact about the only place they are not accepted is on our transit system. Cabbies and porters will be very happy with US dollars but with a taxi or anywhere else for that matter, keep your bills small as you will like get your change in CDN dollars.

Thanks for this info.... I have search several different threads and the gist I got was that when in Canada use Canadian money and stop being a self centered American :o I was trying to find a location to exchange money at the airport... I do not want to offend anyone. Just want to have a great experience visiting a city I have heard so many wonderful things about.:)

Thanks for this info.... I have search several different threads and the gist I got was that when in Canada use Canadian money and stop being a self centered American :o I was trying to find a location to exchange money at the airport... I do not want to offend anyone. Just want to have a great experience visiting a city I have heard so many wonderful things about.:)

If you feel an overwhelming need to get some CAD you will find a couple of currency exchanges and about 6 ATMs at YVR. However, as I have posted earlier this is not really necessary....I mean even our post offices and government liquor stores accept USD .....

change will be in CAD though.

If you feel an overwhelming need to get some CAD you will find a couple of currency exchanges and about 6 ATMs at YVR. However, as I have posted earlier this is not really necessary....I mean even our post offices and government liquor stores accept USD .....

change will be in CAD though.

I forgot my Canadian money last time I was there. I was at the RCMP office and they had these really cute RCMP stuffed toys. They even took my US money at par. Like it's been said, pretty much everyone takes US dollars in Vancouver. No one is offended. A whole lot of Canadians cross the US border to shop each and every day. Since the US will not take Canadian money many welcome the US cash. Saves them a trip to the back, ATM or currency converter places.