Best Hotel in San Juan?

Ken Greco

If money were no object - El Convento or the St. Regis.

Yes, there is the St. Regis, but it's not in San Juan (it's in Rio Grande). For a one-night stay, I wouldn't pay to be driven out there and back. Now, if I'd want to stay out in that part of the island, I'd absolutely take the St. Regis over the El Conquistador.

I've got a potential vacation in October/early November coming up with 5 nights at the St. Regis, followed by a few nights at the W Vieques, followed by a Southern Caribbean cruise… I won't know if it happens until probably July:eek: due to work...

• 3 weeks later...
I dont know.... I kind of thought the same thing...... Embassy Suites and Doubletree Hilton arent exactly "money is no object" kind of hotels to me either.

That's not saying you cant have a great experience at these hotels....they just arent upscale as to the experience one gets when "money is no object"

I have stayed in luxury 5 star hotels around the world.....and I have stayed in small rustic cabins and cottages....... got good experiences from both and everything in between.

It's all in the attitude that is "packed in your bag with you" :D

Nicely put!

Yes, there is the St. Regis, but it's not in San Juan (it's in Rio Grande). For a one-night stay, I wouldn't pay to be driven out there and back. Now, if I'd want to stay out in that part of the island, I'd absolutely take the St. Regis over the El Conquistador.

I've got a potential vacation in October/early November coming up with 5 nights at the St. Regis, followed by a few nights at the W Vieques, followed by a Southern Caribbean cruise… I won't know if it happens until probably July:eek: due to work...

We love St. Regis in NYC and hope to try the San Juan St. Regis one of these days. I agree it isn't conveniently enough located for one night pre-cruise stay but outstanding for a week's stay.... or longer. :)

We were very concerned staying at the I/C prior to our cruise on Feb 01 due to poor reviews relating to service however we were pleasantly surprised as we found the service to be great from start to finish! Room was clean and ready ahead of 4pm check-in, doormen and bellmen handled our luggage without a problem, front desk couldn't ask for better service. We agree prices are very high in bars (two beers, and one mojito $32:00 including tip). Again, service was excellent! Beautiful property with lots of restaurants, Walgreen's and things to do all very close by!

Slidergirl - do you happen to know taxi price to St. Regis from RC port?

We love the Embassy Suites by the airport: short walk to the beach and many rest for lunch and dinner; free drinks in the evening; full breakfast; Outback Steakhouse on site; free form pool with waterfall....the separate bedroom is also great when traveling with kids.

We're staying there after our cruise in early April. Thought about spending the afternoon in OSJ and coming back for the happy hour with friends who are coming with us. Are there restaurants within walking distance? Would love something with PR food!

Just came back from our cruise out of San Juan. We stayed 2 nights pre cruise at the Intercontinental Resort in Isla Verde and 2 nights post cruise at the El San Juan Resort.

I really liked the Intercontinental. I read some concerning reviews prior to our stay, but I didn't have the same experience. We found the hotel to be beautiful, the staff were great and the location was amazing.

The El San Juan is directly beside the Intercontinental. The staff were awesome, the lobby was impressive, but we weren't too impressed with our room. We stayed in the Casitas, the room itself was nice, but the bathroom was totally grungy and filthy.

The area around both these hotels were great. Lots of restaurants, the beach is beautiful and shops are within walking distance!

If money is no object then I would recommend The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan.

It will outbeat any hotel in the country so long as your willing to spend the $.

We loved our stay at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan but it surprised me a luxury resort hotel, on the beach, had few guest room verandahs. Only the large suites have balconies. Odd.