Carnival cruiser needs Royal Caribbean advice

It's been a while since I've been on the boards because we haven't cruised since October, 2012 and it pains me to come here and see all the fun everyone is having planning and reviewing their cruises so I try my best to stay away until we are planning something else. Anyway, husband had a heart attack in December and before he goes back to work we are thinking about doing a 3 day cruise (leaving all 4 kids at home) but date wise and port wise it looks like it's gonna have to be Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas. The ports are Nassau and their private island and I'm hoping some of you may have sailed on her before and can give me some insight. I trust all of you because you've never steered me wrong before on the Carnival cruises we've taken. So anyone have any feedback? Thanks in advance!

I've done that itinerary with RC and it was fun. It was my first cruise, and I was addicted. No sea days, enough activities in board to keep us occupied at night, and some fun around the pool after we cut out time in Nassau short because we hated it there. Enjoy!

I love cruising, so I'd do it. Enchantment is "Vision" class. A nice ship. It's a short cruise with time in port so you'll have plenty of things to do. Cococay is a very nice relaxing beach day. They have bar service, lunch on the beach, lot's of stuff to do, or you can just grab a chair and relax. Nassau,.... is Nassau. They have things you can do or you can just hang out on the ship. Eitherway, I'd go. As for the comment about shorts and Formal Night, true about shorts in the MDR. As for Formal Night, many either disregard it totally or dress more "down." We don't, we like to get dressed up. But don't worry about it if you choose to not get too dressy.

My theory is any cruise is better than no cruise at all. I think your only disappointment will be that it is ending too soon.

Go for it. It'll be fun. Tell your husband we all wish him the best in his recovery.

Enchantment is a lovely ship, and we sailed on her twice several years ago out of FLL. We did a short cruise out of Port Canaveral a few years ago (on Monarch) and loved it. Coco Cay, the private island, is lovely. Get there early so you can have your pick of locations, and just relax on the beach and catch some rays. They will serve a BBQ lunch on the beach, and there is a small straw market with locals selling their wares. Bring cash for that. I like Nassau. A lot of people on the boards are very negative about it, but we've always had a good time there. You can taxi over to Paradise Island, or walk down Bay Street (the main drag,) or hang out in a restaurant and have lunch, listen to music, whatever you want to do. The main Straw Market on Bay Street is pretty bad. All the stalls sell the same junk (JMHO, of course.) Or, you can spend time on the ship relaxing around the pool while everyone else is off the ship;)

I hope you and your DH have a wonderful and relaxing cruise, and I happy he is doing well:)

Go for it. We love Coco Cay. A real nice beach day. We like to snorkel and parasail. We have been to Nassau a few times. We have taken a taxi to Atlantis, we have done Frommer's walking tour, gone to Senor Frogs for few drinks, and stayed on the ship.

We were on the Enchantment in July 2013 and we had a great time. Went to Nassau and Coco Cay, had a relaxing time. The food was good and the drinks were even better. I say go for it! If you have additional questions feel free to ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mon1jan1

Going on same ship, same places in 2 weeks. Also did same in 2012.

Had a relaxing cruise. All was good. We did fail on making it to their island and made it a sea day due to high winds\waves. The island is not a place they dock, but anchor.

I love cruising, so I'd do it. Enchantment is "Vision" class. A nice ship. It's a short cruise with time in port so you'll have plenty of things to do. Cococay is a very nice relaxing beach day. They have bar service, lunch on the beach, lot's of stuff to do, or you can just grab a chair and relax. Nassau,.... is Nassau. They have things you can do or you can just hang out on the ship. Eitherway, I'd go. As for the comment about shorts and Formal Night, true about shorts in the MDR. As for Formal Night, many either disregard it totally or dress more "down." We don't, we like to get dressed up. But don't worry about it if you choose to not get too dressy.

My theory is any cruise is better than no cruise at all. I think your only disappointment will be that it is ending too soon.

Go for it. It'll be fun. Tell your husband we all wish him the best in his recovery.

I like your style. :)

I know it's not listed on my past sailings (the list got ridiculously long and taking up space.), but I have been onboard the Enchantment and she is a Vision class ship. Very nice and fun. Designed for lots of "ship time" and something for everyone. I remember that the cabins were well laid out, and that deck plans made perfect sense to me also, not like some ships where you need a tour guide just to get the MDR.

On short sailings, nobody really cares if you dress up or not. Just go and enjoy...especially since your husbands' illness, I'm sure you realize how precious time is....time together is what counts, not what you are wearing.

In my opinion the only thing worth doing in Nassau is: a) Pirate museum b) Fort Charlotte and a little jewelry shopping on the way back to the ship. Coco Cay is as relaxing or as wild as you want it to be. I like to get away from EVERYONE on the private islands, and find a nice spot, a nice far walk away, to sit and gaze at the ocean.

Happy cruising.

Edited by artist47

Going on same ship, same places in 2 weeks. Also did same in 2012.

Had a relaxing cruise. All was good. We did fail on making it to their island and made it a sea day due to high winds\waves. The island is not a place they dock, but anchor.

This would be the exact sailing we would be on if we decide to go. Still thinking about it. I've discovered we can do a 5 day on Carnival for right about the same money which leaves me undecided. Don't know what to do now!

We are not too loyal to specific cruiselines. We like both Carnival and Royal, for different reasons. So, from my perspective, I would choose a 5-day over a 3-day getaway. With that said, if you coose Enchantment and end up at Cococay, check out Barefoot Beach :)

Which other sailing are you considering?

Just off the Enchantment on the 4-night out of Canaveral. Loved it !! We have been on many Carnival Cruises, but really enjoyed the service on Royal.

This short trip is very relaxing. Great group of cruisers. Never felt crowded, except on Windjammer café on first day.

CocoCay was just beautiful. Got off ship walked around the entire island discovering hidden paths to beautiful private spots on the beach. There was a nature trail that offered amazing sights as well as views of the ship at anchor. There were lots of lounge chairs to hang out and enjoy a CocoLoco cocktail !! The BarB-Q was good too.

As for the atmosphere on the Enchantment...very laid back. No worries of dress code at all. We saw shorts, jeans and even caps in MDR. Formal night was more resort casual than any other ships I have been on. We did see a few who still dressed up for dinner and photos.

Really enjoyed the views and after dinner cocktails in the Viking Crown Lounge, quiet and relaxing.

I will continue to cruise Royal as well as Carnival, but this ship was perfect for a quick, relaxing get away in the middle of winter.

Hope you have a wonderful trip on whatever ship you choose.

Great choice, can you do the 4 day instead of the 3 day? The three day goes by so fast. CoCo Cay is my all time favorite port, it is so relaxing and the snorkeling is good. Nassau is a nice stop, I like the forts and the zoo. Whatever you choose, have a great cruise. I have not done this itinerary since the Monarch left the fleet but the Enchantment has been stretched and has some updated features.