Impressions Regatta January 6-16 2014

jertom

We had taken our first Oceania cruise in November, on Marina in the Western Med. At that time, I posted some of my positive impressions:

The low noise levels.

The uncrowded feeling.

The absence of photographers.

The passengers.

The bread.

The croissants.

The art and furnishings.

The beds.

After being on Regatta in January, here are some further impressions:

The Regatta felt significantly smaller: cabin, bathroom, dining rooms. Jerie did not feel comfortable in general, compared to Marina.

On the plus side, the smaller size gave a feeling of intimacy and I felt that we passengers and crew got to know each other better.

The Regatta Library was a definite plus.

The art and furnishings seemed dated compared to Marina, especially in Jerie's eyes. The abundance of wood was pleasant, though, to me, being more of a traditionalist. Who knows what the impressions will be after the renovations.

Overall, we still like Oceania but will watch the price comparisons with other lines. Many of the good things like free water and specialty restaurants are nice but can be factored in by price.

Interested to hear any comments from others on the O ships vs the Rs.

Tom

The Regatta felt significantly smaller: cabin, bathroom, dining rooms.

Tom

It could be the fact that the |R ships are half the size of the O class ships ;)

There is a different atmosphere on the R-ships than the larger newer ships

Nothing wrong with either size it is just personal preferences

We like both class of ships for different reasons

Lyn

It could be the fact that the |R ships are half the size of the O class ships ;)

There is a different atmosphere on the R-ships than the larger newer ships

Nothing wrong with either size it is just personal preferences

We like both class of ships for different reasons

Lyn

Yes, Lyn. Agree completely. As you could see, Jerie and I had different personal preferences .

;)

Tom

Just to chime in, my husband continues to prefer the "R" ships -- those we know the best.

I have a slight preference, I think, for the "O" ships. And that is primarily because of the extra dining venues.

I prefer the smaller ship but want more restaurants! Okay, I can't have both! I have accepted that, and we continue to cruise on both.

If you read the reviews here you will see that there are those who prefer the smaller ships, and those that prefer the larger ships. Many of us come in somewhere inbetween ... Both have their special attributes.

Mura

Hi Tom and Jerie: We really enjoyed meeting you both and spending so much time together on Regatta. Regards to you from mom.

Must agree with Lyn and Mura - we enjoy both R ships and O ships - for different reasons. O ships for the expanded dining venues, Artist Loft, Executive/Concierge Lounges and larger production shows, R ships for old-world decor, fabulous Library, ease of interaction with guests and staff and better layout for trivia. On the R ships we also enjoy not feeling "crowded in" by tables and chairs in the Terrace. Must admit however, that I really missed the second level of deck chairs on the O ships, especially on a sunny day. ;)

Marsha

Edited by loum140

Hi Tom and Jerie: We really enjoyed meeting you both and spending so much time together on Regatta. Regards to you from mom.

Must agree with Lyn and Mura - we enjoy both R ships and O ships - for different reasons. O ships for the expanded dining venues, Artist Loft, Executive/Concierge Lounges and larger production shows, R ships for old-world decor, fabulous Library, ease of interaction with guests and staff and better layout for trivia. On the R ships we also enjoy not feeling "crowded in" by tables and chairs in the Terrace. Must admit however, that I really missed the second level of deck chairs on the O ships, especially on a sunny day. ;)

Marsha

Hi Marsha, we also really enjoyed meeting and spending time with you all. Hi to Lou and your Mom.

Glad that you mentioned the missing chairs on second level of R ships. We missed that too.

Tom and Jerie

Thanks to all who commented.

A few things to add:

Only one launderette on Regatta, but accessible if you plan well; early in the cruise is better.

We thought the closet location near one side of the bed was inconvenient on Marina, but then found that the Regatta location across from the bathroom was more difficult.

All in all, as has been pointed out, the O vs R is a close call and a personal choice.

But we really enjoyed Oceania and will definitely choose them if the itinerary fits and the price is not too out of line.

Tom

Thanks to all who commented.

A few things to add:

Only one launderette on Regatta, but accessible if you plan well; early in the cruise is better.

Just a nit-pick here. Earlier in the cruise CAN be better, but if enough people have joined the cruise after a land trip ... maybe not.

I remember on our first Renaissance cruise a woman we met had just flown in to the departure port and her first stop was the laundry room! Then again, maybe she hadn't had time to do the laundry BEFORE they left the U.S.

We've generally been in a situation of not needing to do laundry until 7-10 days out. We choose to go in at cocktail hour, when machines tend to be more available. We avoid sea days!

This is more pertinent to the "R" ships than the "O" ships since more laundry rooms are available on the larger ships.

Mura