Table for two in MDR?

jocelysue

Are there two tops in the MDR?

If so, where are they situated? Centre of room, near railing, near window?

Thanks.

Yes, and they are throughout the whole area...we have (in some cases) moved from a table of non drinkers to a 2 top....it was just more comfortable for us.

Which ship?

We just got off Silhouette and had a "table for two" which was 2 inches from another table for two, which was 2 inches from a third. Effectively (and the waiter treated it so), it was a table for six.

We weren't impressed.

Are there two tops in the MDR?

If so, where are they situated? Centre of room, near railing, near window?

Thanks.

The tables are usually not at optimal locations in the MDR for fixed dining. The tables are against the wall and sometimes at various locations- that aren't prime locations. If you have a full suite, you get a better location. We have been assigned tables for two next to walls and poles.

One the Summit, when we had a suite, we were given a table in the center of the dining room, that was really a table for four, set for two.

I suggest when you go on board you immediately head for the MDR and ask to see your table. We have been lucky enough to change locations depending upon the person we speak to.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

jocelysue, your signature line indicates an upcoming canal cruise, so that would be on either Infinity or Century. They have different MDR layouts since they are different class ships; however, yes, both have tables for two. In general, many tables for two are placed much too close to other tables for two, or in less than prime locations. MDR layouts on Celebrity really favor big tables for choice locations, window views, lower foot traffic areas, etc.

We are just off of the Eclipse NYE cruise. We had select dining and since it was our anniversary cruise we opted to dine at a table for two. As previous posters have said, two tops are so close to the next table that it may as well be a table for six. The problem is that it ISN'T a table for six and it can be very uncomfortable. You are close enough to engage in conversation but you are not at the same table... so do you do more than say good evening?? Do they want privacy?? Then again it is impossible to have a private conversation, and it feels rude.....it is just uncomfortable!! We really would prefer to sit at a table for two but because of the seating situation we won't on our next cruise.

I have just got off the Eclipse where we had Select Dning and often opted for a table for 2. We were sat in a dark corner next to the kitchen twice where it was almost impossible to read the menu, and a few times at a table against a serving and clearing area. In both these situations it was very noisy and I sometimes wished I had a 'hard hat' when I saw the highly loaded trays that were carried above me. I know the waiters are skilful, but accidents can happen! The tables were very close together.

I have just got off the Eclipse where we had Select Dning and often opted for a table for 2. We were sat in a dark corner next to the kitchen twice where it was almost impossible to read the menu, and a few times at a table against a serving and clearing area. In both these situations it was very noisy and I sometimes wished I had a 'hard hat' when I saw the highly loaded trays that were carried above me. I know the waiters are skilful, but accidents can happen! The tables were very close together.

That is the reason my DH and I now take CC cabins, instead of AQ or Sky Suites. With the money we save, we purchase the unlimited speciality dining package and enjoy the privacy and service we receive.

Tables are much better, as is the food and level of service.

When we were on a 14 night cruise on the Eclipse in May 2010, we were told by the Maitre d' that he reconfigured the Select dining area into having more 2 tops for that cruise when he realized that more people were requesting them than they had anticipated.

If we don't care for the first table offered, which almost never happens, we politely decline it and offer to wait for another one to open up. We have never had a problem getting a nice spot relatively quickly, but then again, we usually go to the MDR around 8:00 to 8:15, so that's usually past the rush in Select Dining.

Also, we've gone to some higher end restaurants in San Francisco that have tables for two in a line along the walls, with just a few inches between tables, so we are familiar with that style of seating and we've learned to make adjustments in our conversational level accordingly, after briefly and initially acknowledging the diners on either side of us. Sometimes we've had pleasant, brief interludes with neighboring diners before returning to a table for 2 mode.

I grew up in a small town America atmosphere, where the restaurants typically had a lot of space between tables, so I understand the initial discomfort. But for me, tasty grub prepared and served by someone else trumps small discomforts every time.:)

Which ship?

We just got off Silhouette and had a "table for two" which was 2 inches from another table for two, which was 2 inches from a third. Effectively (and the waiter treated it so), it was a table for six.

We weren't impressed.

We had the same experience on Reflection. We had requested a table for two and got that :( Not that we're totally opposed to sitting with others, but it was our honeymoon. . .