Best Snorkel Excursion Through RCCI in Roatan

mwarzecha

My husband and I are trying to find the best snorkel site and beach in Roatan for our April cruise. We're cruising through RCCI. We're divers and very experienced snorkelers. We're looking for the best snorkel site with great fish and corral. A secondary concern is for a nice beach to relax on afterwards. I'm looking for opinions before booking!

- "Shipwreck Snorkel and Beach," RT41: It seems like Fantasy Island caters to divers and is quieter. We like this. Is this true?

- "Tabyana Beach Break," RT47: I understand that this is West Beach. Is that correct? Seems like your standard cruise excursion beach break.

- "Maya Key Private Island Retreat," RT64: Read Mitsugirly's post. It looks amazing!

- "Tabyana Beach Snorkel and Lunch," RT04: Same as above, plus guided snorkel. Just listing to track all beach break/snorkel options offered by RCCI in Roatan for future readers.

- "Jolly Roger Catamaran Sail and Snorkel," RT78: Doesn't seem to have a beach option, but the snorkeling at the national marine reserve sounds great. Anyone try this?

We appreciate any feedback.

Know you asked about snorkleing but if you are divers I would suggest you think about doing a dive here. It is fantastic.

The meso-American reef is literally steps offshore of West Bay Beach and is the best reef we have dove on (and we have dove all over including the Red Sea)

Our first visit I have West End divers in West End Village that had a one tank dive at 9 am that worked out perfect with our arrival time and still allowed us time to explore a bit. They even sent a taxi to Coxen Hole port to pick us up.

We have since been back to Roatan twice - each time staying a week at Infinity Bay condos right on West Bay beach (right next door to Tabayana) and have used Infinity Divers (best dive shop we have dove with). Their dives are at 8:30, 10:30 and 2:30.

So advice is to hop in a taxi - head to West End/West Bay beach and do a dive.... then relax, explore or whatever.

Texan cruiser knows his stuff! You can go yo west bay beach and there are several locals who will take you out to the reef in their rowboats with motors for $20. No need for a tour operator for snorkeling....didn't think they had tanks, so listen yo Texan cruiser...

Texan cruiser knows his stuff! You can go yo west bay beach and there are several locals who will take you out to the reef in their rowboats with motors for $20. No need for a tour operator for snorkeling....didn't think they had tanks, so listen yo Texan cruiser...

:o Just so you know..... I am a she ;)

If you prefer to snorkel (or aren't divers) I would HIGHLY recommend Maya Key for snorkeling!

We just got off the Carnival Magic last week and took an excursion to Maya Key (because of Mitsugirly's review too!). I felt like I had been there before because of all of her great pictures. I knew just where we were supposed to go to snorkel - right off the pier. The pier has a gazebo at the end, which has seats you can sit on to put on your gear. You enter via a ladder, and at first its only about 5' deep. They do have red buoys above the water to show you where to "aim", and then you follow the underwater water bottles tied to a rope that guide you through the reefs. When we got out to the red bouys it was 100% reef as far as you could see, and the most colorful gorgeous formations I've ever seen. There were literally 1000's of fish everywhere. I've never seen so many, and so colorful. I could have stayed floating above that beautiful garden forever. There was so much to see.

I've read that West Bay beach is supposed to have beautiful reefs also. If we ever get to go back, we may have to try snorkeling there.

But - if you can get to Maya Key, it is a FOR SURE perfect place to snorkel!

If you prefer to snorkel (or aren't divers) I would HIGHLY recommend Maya Key for snorkeling!

We just got off the Carnival Magic last week and took an excursion to Maya Key (because of Mitsugirly's review too!). I felt like I had been there before because of all of her great pictures. I knew just where we were supposed to go to snorkel - right off the pier. The pier has a gazebo at the end, which has seats you can sit on to put on your gear. You enter via a ladder, and at first its only about 5' deep. They do have red buoys above the water to show you where to "aim", and then you follow the underwater water bottles tied to a rope that guide you through the reefs. When we got out to the red bouys it was 100% reef as far as you could see, and the most colorful gorgeous formations I've ever seen. There were literally 1000's of fish everywhere. I've never seen so many, and so colorful. I could have stayed floating above that beautiful garden forever. There was so much to see.

I've read that West Bay beach is supposed to have beautiful reefs also. If we ever get to go back, we may have to try snorkeling there.

But - if you can get to Maya Key, it is a FOR SURE perfect place to snorkel!

So glad you enjoyed your day at Maya Key. It's so beautiful there and the snorkeling is just so easy and amazing. :)

So glad you enjoyed your day at Maya Key. It's so beautiful there and the snorkeling is just so easy and amazing. :)

We certainly did, Mitsugirly - thanks to your great recommendation! I have added a few pictures from our excursion that are in my signature line. I didn't get to take as many "around" the island because it came a downpour and we had to all get out of the water and then the ferry took us back to the port early. But, we LOVED the snorkeling! So much to see!

• 2 weeks later...